Campus exercise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Campus exercise

An article in today's Boston Globe highlighted the problem of obsessive exercise on college campuses.

Do you know people who have taken exercise too far? When does a healthy habit become a compulsion?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from srtoner. Show srtoner's posts

Campus exercise

This has to be one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. All we hear about is how obesity is a nation-wide epidemic. So the writer, instead of talking about how todayÆs college kids might buck that trend, decides to scare everyone by talking about a much smaller group. The majority of people don't need to be warned about over-exercising, rather should be encouraged to do more. A person on a treadmill, who's thin, on it a long time, and going very fast, sounds like someone training for a marathon, not someone with a problem. Similarly, more people should lift weights and run for a half hour 5-6 times a week as the senior in the story did, instead of someone who should be watched. Lastly, the most ridiculous line is the part about "when heading to the library you might overhear people talking about what they're going to eat that day and when to work out." You're kidding me, right? So would it be better if they decide to hit McD's and watch TV instead? Any rational person who cares about their health should be having that same conversation, either in his or her own head or with a friend.-->-->I'm not saying that problems don't exist, they do. The percentage of problem exercisers though versus non-exercisers is not great enough to warrant this article. Also, the swipe card system and common sense/observation among the trainers should be enough to deter abuse. Instead of asking the person on the treadmill going fast and long, maybe the trainer should approach saying "I noticed your workout, are you training for something? Maybe I can offer some help in your regimen."-->-->

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trionetriathlon. Show trionetriathlon's posts

Campus exercise

It's hard to say how much is too much. Perhaps when it becomes an obsession, i.e. with extreme weight loss, loss of monthly cycle, etc, then perhaps it is too much? I suppose that goes for everything in life! I have a friend who runs everyday, rain or shine, for 12-15 miles and looks unhealthy, where as I have other friends who are triathletes who combine their workouts and look fabulous! I'm on for 1 hour five days a week to fight the 40's fat, etc and add a bit more in the spring for triathlons, but that is it! Just don't have the time (or the energy!).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from geebs70. Show geebs70's posts

Campus exercise

as with any other habit, people can obsess on it an overdue it. drinking, drugs, etc are obvious areas of abuse, but people can abuse themselves with exercise too. i think that the compulsiveness aspect may be more to do with a "look" as opposed to pursuit of health. for instance, if your body concept is out of whack and you see someone in the mirror who is fat, ugly; whatever, and combine that with a general predisposition to want to achieve at a high level, a person can easily set themselves up for anorexia, compulsive exercise, steroid use, etc.

the media doesn't help either, although i think people are starting to demand more realistic depictions of physical fitness/attractiveness - like actual curves and some body fat. the recent steroid /hgh awareness in sports and hollywood is hopefully going to help males, especially , realize that that the massive, ripped to shreds arnold look they always wanted was actually about 50% chemically induced, thereby making male expectations for body image a bit more realistic too.

-quasi-obsessive exercise guy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgolla1. Show tgolla1's posts

Campus exercise

totally agree with the initial comment here - the globe is better than this. the store was worth doing, but it sounds like sour grapes to me to complain so much about people actually trying to stay fit. i work out, do yoga and run - and I'm in pretty good shape.

sure, i see a few people here and there at the BSC - usually women - who are overdoing it and clearly have issues. but, i see A LOT more people walking around town or out in the burbs who are obese.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Campus exercise

Too much exercise could mean that one has an addictive personality, in the same way as one can be addicted to alcohol, drugs, work or food.

I have been a member of a number of athletic clubs, work out to some degree every day, and feel better than I did when I was in my mid thirties (I'm 59 now). I do see many people working out a lot, but, in their defense, there is also a social aspect to working out at a club which often has positive effects. In the winter, I would say that I engage in athletic activities about 10 hours a week, and about 20 hours a week the rest of the year.

I have two daughters, and I've seen the pressure that they (and my wife) are often under to be extremely slim, toned and healthy looking, while being admonished not to eat anything.

There is a definite high which happens when you've had a great workout, and if it was a competitive sport, it is a great way to work off daily issues and come home with a healthy outlook. I did experience a time when I was competing at the national level in racquet sports almost every weekend, and I became a bit crazed in my desire for national prominence. It was wrong, and I'm fortunate that my family was able to convince me that I was too focused on personal goals, not family goals.

In a nutshell, my experience has been that a total exercise focus can be dangerous, and that friends and family need to step up and tell people when their life is out of balance.

Keeping in good shape, however, has been proven to help one lead a more productive life as one gets older. Exercise, and most everything in moderation, makes for a long and happy life. (I'm excluding sex and beer from the moderation part).

Ha.