Can a person break their arm lifting weights?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Can a person break their arm lifting weights?

I was lifting weights like I normally do last night when I felt this sharp pain from my wrist through my forearm to my elbow.

I almost let go of the concrete block I was lifting.  

It took a couple of hours for me to get to sleep because when I was lying down my forearm kept hurting like the dickens.   But it wasn't constant. It was intermittent sharp pains. 

While I took a couple of pills last night; I haven't taken any since.  My arm doesn't hurt as much since then but I still can't twist or rest against hard surfaces like the computer room table to do typing without there being the same sharp pains now and then.

I wonder if I broke my arm and I just don't know it.
    Not a full break but somekind of stress fracture or something.

It doesn't feel like a tendon or nerve pinch.  But on the other hand it might be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Can a person break their arm lifting weights?

The only way to find out  would be to go to a Dr and allow him to examine you, he may order an x-ray to rule out a fracture.   It would be irresponsible for a healthcare professional to offer a medical opinion without examining you first and reviewing your medical history. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I concur with above. If you are willing to ask random internet strangers for health advice rather than a healthcare professional then good luck to you, you are going to need it. I am surprised you lasted as long as you have, frankly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Doesn't hurt to know if I hurt myself.

Has nothing to do with going ( or not going ) to a doctor.

If I did break my arm or if ever I hurt myself more severely; I'll probably seek out a doctor ( e-mail/voice-mail message ) instead of walking into an emergency room - waste of time dealing with idiodic hospital staff who don't care about people anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It could be just about anything from stress fracture to nerve inflammation of carpal tunnel, but I'm betting waiting a week won't be detrimental given the inconsistency of the pain.  Given you're not at the emergency room right now, I assume the pain is bearable.  I'd rest it completely (avoid putting or bearing any weight on it) for a week and if it's not getting any better by then I'd see a doc.  And, if it is getting better, I still wouldn't bear much weight with it until the pain is completely gone.

And, before the "see a doc immediately" crowd jumps down my throat, I'm NOT a DOCTOR and one should feel 100% free to completely disregard what I would do.  I did not tell xt that he should do or not do anything, I only told him what I would do in his place for better or worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

If the pain is not keeping you up at night, I would just follow Kargiver's advice...I doubt it's a stress fracture..sharp intermittent pain is more like a tendon/ligament or a nerve. Stress fractures would cause a dull pain that gets worse with use.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Yes you can. Did you? I dont know . How old are you. Do you have osteoporosis or other medical issues. The up shot is if you want a cheap evaluation go to a regular doc who will order the test and it will cost about $500 less than an ER visit. Pain says something. I hope you are ok.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pancake313. Show pancake313's posts

no offense, but that's weak.  How the heck do you break an arm lifting a cinder block?  That's like 40 lbs max... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It can be as simple as having stressed it on something else earlier, bearing the weight improperly, or it can be a sign of a major medical problem like bone cancer or osteoporosis.

But, I strongly supect it was a tendon strain or a pinched nerve, not a break.

So, xt, how's it feeling?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from csu. Show csu's posts

In Response to Re: Can a person break their arm lifting weights?:
    Doesn't hurt to know if I hurt myself. Has nothing to do with going ( or not going ) to a doctor. If I did break my arm or if ever I hurt myself more severely; I'll probably seek out a doctor ( e-mail/voice-mail message ) instead of walking into an emergency room - waste of time dealing with idiodic hospital staff who don't care about people anyway.
    Posted by WriterXT

You hurt yourself with a concrete block and you have the nerve to call hospital staff idiotic?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Today I feel fine.  

From last Wednesday to last night I didn't workout but I did work my right wrist a couple of times over those few days. The sharp pain was only bad that first night.  

Over time it gradually left so I figure it probably was somekind of muscle strain. 

But I don't get it. 

Whether it's that or occasional hyperextended elbow which I do experience on both arms.  I wonder why that happens? 

99.99% of every night I work out; over any average week I don't feel any pain whatsoever.  My arms get strong over the two hours I work out, then I stop.

It's these once in a great while times I get a problem. 
    Last wednesday freaked me out.  All I did was the same exact thing I did since I started lifting blocks back in 1998.

If I was going to overextend myself; break an arm or dislocate a joint; it should have happened back then.  Not now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucysandini. Show lucysandini's posts

Too bad you didn't drop the block on your head troll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucysandini. Show lucysandini's posts

can you people please stop feeding this troll? he's posts nonsensical questions and you dopes answer him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

I'll pose this question to everyone. 

Tell me a way I can be examined by one ( or more ) medical professionals without (#1) being a hypocondriac, (#2) a victim of an overzealous doctor,(#3) attached to a kangaroo state-run health service that will pay the supposed medical professional(s) next to nothing. 

I would appreciate good service wherever I can get it,
    but I don't want them paid in peanuts, rice cakes or pocket lint.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucysandini. Show lucysandini's posts

Fenald let you out early?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from liamaidan. Show liamaidan's posts

I highly doubt you broke something - the tendons and muscles are designed to give out long before a bone breaks, especially when it is an activity like lifting a weight. A tendon injury, or muscle strain, (I have suffered a few), are VERY painful. And they take a long time to heal. It is good to see a doctor, because they can give you a steroid injection which can greatly relieve the discomfort and speed up the healing. Good luck.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with liamaindan, tendons and ligaments can get inflamed and painful because they pinch nerves.  

Glad you're feeling better, but I also agree that a non-emergency doc's visit is in order to determine the cause of the inflamation (which was probably not the weight lifting).  Could be carpel tunnel, and there are things that can be done to minimize the nerve pain from that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

If there's a Guiness World Record for people going the longest in their life without being medically examined; I should be on it,  maybe not at the top but definitely on it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, if you're still experiencing shooting pain in your wrists and refuse to see a doc, you can use wrist guards from CVS when you're typing and see if it reduces the incidence of the pain - they keep you from repetitively holding your hands/wrists in a position that causes nerve inflammation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

You know something;  I barely even considered it might not be lifting weights that caused my pain (before) it might be something as simple as the library's computer room tables.  
     Similar to this but the long table holds 3 work station computers and it's green colored.

I rest my wrists and partial upper forearm right against the edge for the daily 2 hours that I'm here.  

But on the other hand; when I hurt my arm; it wasn't here ( 9:45AM-11:30).
    It was at home lifting weights.   

Hmm.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nerve and tendon inflammation from resting your wrists on the table (or whatever) while typing can present during all manner of other activities at random times per day, not just while you're on the keyboard.

ETA:  Again, I'm not saying with certainty that's the problem.  I'm still no doctor.  However, if you refuse to be evaluated by a real doctor and you do put 2 hours of unhealthy pressure on your wrists per day, I'd definitely use wrist guards for a month and see if the pain during other activities subsides.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

what is ' unhealthy pressure ' ?  

now and then I sometimes stretch out or reach one arm back and massage my neck;  

also i'm not summarily refusing to see a doctor;  i just want a top notch doctor to see me for free;   fat chance that'll ever happen so in the alternative i do what i do for pain and discomfort. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

unhealthy pressure is ANY pressure on your wrists while you're typing.  Only your fingertips should make contact with anything while you're typing.  It takes practice to do it correctly, but the back of your hand should be in the same plane as your arm; elbow to first row of knuckles should be a straight line, no slope upward at the wrist (or downward for that matter).  The wrist guard forces this posture.

OTC pain meds will do very little to alleviate this pain if carpel tunnel is the cause as you've probably noticed.  Changing your posture to eliminate the cause of the inflamtion is the only thing that will work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Huh?          Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is most common in middle aged and older women that have had jobs that required repetitive movements of the hands, wrists, and/or fingers for many years, ie: assembly line workers.   Again, if you want a diagnosis for your problem,  arrange to be examined by a Doctor or a Nurse Practitioner.    Otherwise,  it's just a guessing game.   Putting off being examined could cause  you more harm.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Couldn't agree more, but I assume that if he's going for a world record for longest time between doctor visits that a guess is better than nothing given that the possible solution to this particular guess of CTS can't do harm in and of itself.  Not getting diagnosed by a doctor and playing the guessing game can definitely be detrimental, though, and I think he's a fool for not doing so.

Sections
Shortcuts