Cell phone ban

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Cell phone ban

House lawmakers today have approved a bill banning drivers from talking or texting on hand-held cell phones while behind the wheel.

What do you think of the ban? Would it stop you from driving while talking on your cell phone?

Read the article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from knad110. Show knad110's posts

Cell phone ban

This is way overdue. I hope the fines and penalties are high enough to discourage most of the distracted idiots who are driving around talking and texting about nothing. Anyone who commutes to work on local streets every day knows what a hazard this has become. If a call is really important enough to take or make, pull off the road for a few mintutes. It's no big deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from knad110. Show knad110's posts

Cell phone ban

Their motives are never pure but in this case they are at least doing the right thing. I don't really care why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wcasker. Show wcasker's posts

Cell phone ban

I applaud the ban, but have one concern. I wear a hearing aid and have yet to find a headset I can use. Bluetooth sets are out of the question, too. Is anyone out there who can recommend a headset that doesn't have "ear buds" ? I think I need on like an old fashioned phone operator used to wear...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Cell phone ban

I NEVER use my cell phone while driving!! I need my free hand to hold and drink my beers!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagc. Show hagc's posts

Cell phone ban

This is typical of Massachusetts. Those of us who are competant enough to talk and drive and punished by those who cannot. The traffic deaths are sad but the 99.99% of us who manage to have a conversation with a hand held cell phone and not drive into a tree should not be punished. I am surprise the State Police support this. Seems like the only people driving the speed limit on the high are those talking on phones.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from knad110. Show knad110's posts

Cell phone ban

You raise an interesting point. One would require a functioning brain to be distracted - therefore you might have a defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosdan80. Show bosdan80's posts

Cell phone ban

Long overdue. For those of you who plan to continue, a few things:

1. You aren't that important, get over it.
    2. If it will effect your ability to do business, I suggest a bluetooth headset, if you can afford a couple of drinks at the bar, you can afford a headset.
    3. May those who continue to do so, get fined, and fined heavily. It really is a problem, if you don't believe me, take a trip on 128 during the commutes or drive through Newton with the stay-at-homes on them at every corner w/ kids in the car.
    4. Lastly, if you are still dumb enough to endanger others, let me be the first to hope you wrap yourself around a telephone pole or flip over on the highway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from queenbead. Show queenbead's posts

Cell phone ban

This law just went into effect here in Washington State. As of 1/1/08, you cannot text and drive. As of July, 2008, talking on a hand held phone will also be against the law. However, these are considered "secondary offenses". Meaning, they can't pull you over if they see you doing it, but if you are breaking another law like speeding or not using turn signals, then you'll get a ticket for texting or being on a hand held phone. The fine is $124 and it doesn't go on one's driving record. Since I don't use my phone while driving that often, other than a quick call to my husband or work, I don't plan to get a headset.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2280924. Show user_2280924's posts

Cell phone ban

I really wish that without a law common sense might eventually kick in and hinder the special people who think it's perfectly okay to text or fiddle with phones when they're behind the wheel - because as we know what they're doing is very, very important.

But, alas, I'm afraid it can't because common sense carries no weight in "moron nation".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodikk. Show rodikk's posts

Cell phone ban

I've had a major rear-end collision as the woman behind me dropped her cell phone and was feeling arond the floor board for it. (major back injury) and I've had several near misses as these drivers always seem to use their left hands to talk and can't see out of their driver's side windows. I will follow the law as the frustrated and other careless drivers seem to be multiplyng daily. I also drive defensively, expecting that the other driver will do the stupidest thing. They do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodikk. Show rodikk's posts

Cell phone ban

You are nuts! Your license, which is an assumption that you will follow the law, should be revoked tomorrow, before you kill someone because of your stupidity. Driving, like flying an airplane or driving a front loader is an intense manuver requiring all your skill and awareness. What you propose is recklessness and murder

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seres. Show seres's posts

Cell phone ban

As a resident of the South End, I walk everywhere. I can tell you that crossing any street or intersection is an adventure. Drivers pay little attention to stop signs or crosswalks. The worst offenders are those using a cellphone. I have almost been hit numerous times as a driver is engaged in conversation while HOLDING a cell. Hats off if the proposed law is passed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from corkyaf. Show corkyaf's posts

Cell phone ban

After living in Europe for 3 years where driving and doing anything on the cell phone is illegal all I have to say is it's about time they passed this law. I felt safer while driving in Europe because no one was allowed to be distracted by their cell phones than I do whenever I go back to Boston to visit family or friends.

Out here on Guam they don't have any kindof law like that and I can't tell you the number of times some tool has almost hit me because they were to distracted talking on their cell phone rather than paying attention to what's in front of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nancysyd. Show nancysyd's posts

Cell phone ban

It is about time! Anyone who has not observed the numerous distracted drivers on cell phones and the problems that they cause is just not paying attention themselves. I have a Bluetooth handsfree device, but I think that even with that, driving and talking on the phone is not optimal and I try to limit my time on the phone while driving even with the hands-free. While there are numerous distractions that cause people to drive poorly, the phone is a particularly bad combination of powerful distractions. It takes your mind off the driving, your hands off the steering wheel, your ears away from your surroundings AND your eyes off the road, and that combination is especially dangerous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from halfaday. Show halfaday's posts

Cell phone ban

I Don't think it is a good idea. It will be used as money maker for the state and the insurance companies. it will not be inforce properly. do you think that a cop will pull over and ticket one of their own? i don't think so. that's why police remove their front plates and replace them with the black plate with the blue strip throuh the middle. a.k.a. " don't stop me i'm one of you " plates

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from esalawton. Show esalawton's posts

Cell phone ban

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is way overdue. I don't even care that it's a money grab for insurance companies and capitol hill. People who drive half slouched over, hand to ear, paying no attention to the road are a complete menace to all other drivers. There have been way to many times to count where I've almost gotten into accidents with people on the phone swerving lane to lane not paying attention, or slowing down to like 40 in the high speed lane because they're focused more on their phone call. About a month ago this guy was driving in front of me, talking on his phone. I could see him drop his cell and try to pick it up (while doing 70 mph), he lost control of his car, cut into the median strip in about a foot of snow went up the enbankment (sp?) narrowly avoided jumping head on into oncoming traffic only to spin back across my lane (and two others) and ended up in the breakdown lane. That guy could have easily have killed several people (that could have been you, your child, or someone in your family) because he was talking on his cell. In some cases these people are almost as dangerous as drunk drivers.

The roads would be safer without morons talking on their phone and not paying attention. The bottom line is accidents are occuring and people are being killed because of this. Secondly, hands free devices only cost a couple bucks (and actually most phones come with one free). I just hope that the police actually enforce this, and maybe some people will learn...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodikk. Show rodikk's posts

Cell phone ban

I drive knowing full well what my responsibility is. I also fly aircraft and I'm fully aware of the commitment that flight requires. Who are you to dictate that anything goes and consider it "safe"? Ever been rear-ended by a person who dropped thei cell phone and trying to retrieve it, hit you at 40 MPH? It happened to me, and your profile demands that you leave your license at the Registry. You are a danger to all of us.