1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Changes to forums and article comments

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Re: Changes to forums and article comments

How about just getting the forums to run. If I click on my name and enter the discussions that way it automatically goes to the last post listed on the right instead of the general forums. I had to enter in from the discussion link on the bottom of the page.
     It freezes (cursor doesn't acknowledge links) and I have to close the window and come back. Get it working already.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

In response to Changes to forums and article comments:

How about just getting the forums to run. If I click on my name and enter the discussions that way it automatically goes to the last post listed on the right instead of the general forums. I had to enter in from the discussion link on the bottom of the page.
     It freezes (cursor doesn't acknowledge links) and I have to close the window and come back. Get it working already.

Let me see if I can replicate what you're doing. So you click on your screen name at the top of a Boston.com page and go to your profile page. Then what are you clicking?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The auto correct is pretty bad.  It takes actual words and replaces them with nonsense.  I always assumed auto correct was a function of the device, and maybe it is.  Maybe it's just the combination of the new forum software and the ipad.  In general, I like the forum software.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I click on the enter discussions tab on the right and it brings me to the last discussion I posted in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

The auto correct is pretty bad.  It takes actual words and replaces them with nonsense.  I always assumed auto correct was a function of the device, and maybe it is.  Maybe it's just the combination of the new forum software and the ipad.  In general, I like the forum software.

DWL..I think the auto correct is unique to the I-Pad and other Apple products. My friends with IPhones get some pretty funny results and I sometimes receive some pretty funny texts from them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Does anyone know when the friends list will be restored? I tried to respond this morning to some private messages that I received, but if the people on my "friends" list have their profiles set to "friends only" then I there is no mechanism to send a message since the "friend list" is temporarily deactivated. It's no big deal really, just wanted to bring up the glitch so my "friends" don't think I am ignoring their messages.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I have no idea why "-s" is banned as inappropriate.  I can't even find it in the posts I write so it appears to be a glitch of some sort.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Just wondering, did you guys use a framework to build this site or did you create it from scratch?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

When one goes back to search old threads, only the OP remains.  Is this deliberate?

Many recent threads exited when the new system was installed.  Is this deliberate?  If it was, perhaps you might say what the decision rules were.

And here's another vote to give very high priority to restoring the edit function.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

And the delete one.

Thank you.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    The naughty word screener is VERY close to rendering the board unusable

Just ran into the problem that others have reported with the 19th letter of the alphabet, which I can't even put here.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Button button, who's got the button?

FWIW, having come up against the "19th letter" ban several times, when there was nothing else I could do to fix it, not knowing where it must be, I tried taking out the first reference to a prior entry when I was doing "Reply to this post", taking out the whole line, and it worked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

I mean, "In response to XXX's comment".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Firewind..I found that the only time I had that issue with the censor is when I hit the "reply to" in order to reply to a specific post and kept the original text there. I see some changes in the way the quotes are showing..so it seems like they are working on it. Good call though.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

can't reply to messages?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

It will be nice when the "Add your post" function speeds up again.  Sometimes it causes us to hit the button over and over and over etc., without seeing the post hit.  The only fast way to see if it posted is to click on our back arrow button.  And then we, and all, see that it has posted over and over and over etc.  One is well-advised to copy one's whole post first, in order to paste it if it didn't go through.  I have found that "Reporting abuse" on my own multiple posts gets prompt response and removal, thank you very much!  But the workarounds have to be less fun for you than for us.

But I still vote for "Edit post" to return first.  It would allow us to manage a multitude of sins.  ;-)

Thank you.

Oh, one more thing:  Several frequent participants lately are having dingbats show up where they intend quotations and apostrophes.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

BDCDottie, would you please have a look at the first 5 1/2 pages of the Celebrity forum in the Arts & Entertainment section - and particularly at the dozens of very repeated sports original posts - and either remove them or remove all but one of each OP, or move all the sports ones to the sports forums?  Thank you.

Sections
Shortcuts