Closing Storrow Drive on Sundays?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What do you think of the Charles River Conservancy's proposal to close part of Storrow Drive to traffic on Sunday mornings? Would you take advantage of the opportunity to bike or skate?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jzed. Show jzed's posts

I think there is plenty of recreation space along the Storrow side of the river as it is and don't see the necessity to close Storrow westbound, even at the hours mentioned. I can't imagine so many people out at that hour that they won't be able to enjoy the riverside without going into the street. Any more street closing confusion in this city is unnecessary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

True....but Storrow is not on that side of the river.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cden4. Show cden4's posts

The paths along the river get quite crowded on weekends, and they are never really that safe for bicyclists/inline skaters/etc who want to go at a decent pace. I think this is a great idea. Outbound traffic on Sunday morning is light as it is, and certainly Memorial Drive and other streets can absorb whatever traffic there is at that time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fongjc2. Show fongjc2's posts

I support the idea and would like to see it happen. It's only for a few hours on Sunday morning. It's hard to understand the cycnicism and negativity some are expressing. From my first-hand experience, there's hardly any auto traffic on Storrow then, but there are many people on the existing, narrow river-side walkways. It will be great to enable the cyclists and skaters (like me) to enjoy the river area more apart from the strollers/baby carriages/dog walkers.... safer and more fun for all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from petra14. Show petra14's posts

Live in the city, drive in the city and support the lane closures on Sunday am too.

Would gladly trade a full closure to the dangerous and frantic traffic jams that happen when our Parks Dept allows PARKING ON STORROW DRIVE with no notice and for no good reason I've heard. At least we could all plan around Sunday am closures.

It's off topic, but can someone please explain the logic of creating hour long traffic jams on Storrow and the Leverett Connector by allowing 50 or so cars to park there for an event? It's a tiny fraction of the attendance and certainly results in some serious ambulance issues, many fender-benders and a lot of road rage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

I would just go ahead and close it. I think us citizens are numb to unexpected road changes in this city that it wouldn't even matter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cden4. Show cden4's posts

My understanding is that the parks deparment allows parking along Storrow during Hatch Shell events in order to provide a physical barrier between the traffic and the concert-goers. This protects the concert-goers from cars that may jump the curb for whatever reason as well as buffering them from the sound of cars whizzing by. In addition, the lane closure causes traffic to slow, further reducing noise. The cars going by are actually surprisingly loud without the lane closure/parking. Stand in the Hatch Oval and observe to see for yourself.

While this is certainly an inconvenience, it's important to remember that the Charles River Reservation (including Storrow Drive) is parkland first and a commuter road second. I do agree, however, that the DCR should publicize the lane closures better so that people can better plan to take alternate routes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cullencschmitt. Show cullencschmitt's posts

No I would not be in favor of closing memorial drive. We absolutely donot need more "footspace" on that side of the river. Someonealready closes Memorial Drive on Sundays, which is really a pain in theyou know what. Closing Storrow drive would just cause unnecessarytraffic jams. I personally use Storrow Drive West going to andfrom Southie on a regular basis over the weekends and I would be "nothappy" about the closing of Storrow Drive. Save the closing ofroads for when you need to repair them or for fixing the transportationauthorities mistakes! Which you guys are getting good at making.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Venerable-Boston-Bede. Show Venerable-Boston-Bede's posts

I have grave concerns about the recent proposal to shut off Storrow
    Drive on Sundays mornings.

Boston is a 27/7 city. Although there is lighter traffic on Sunday
    mornings, people still need to commute to churches, hospitals,
    university events, or employment. To close off such an important
    artery on a regular basis creates undue and unnecessary pressures.
    Let's instead put resources to better the existing bicycle/walking
    paths that are always open before we close down Storrow Drive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from henrywasserman. Show henrywasserman's posts

This seems to me like it's all about revenue. If people cannot use Storrow they will have to use the Turnpike.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nikkibay. Show nikkibay's posts

Only in Cambridge. Seriously.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marie1953. Show Marie1953's posts

Just more lunacy from the car hating nuts. Pretty soon all the traffic will be in their "neighborhoods" when the tunnel has to be rebuilt. Another fine example of why Boston is a second-class city.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cden4. Show cden4's posts

Most first-class cities have many spaces for people, not cars, such as pedestrianized streets and time-based road closures to allow for recreation. Most cities that people admire are not that easy to drive in (or through). They do, however, have many places where people can walk, bike, and socialize easily.

It's not about hating cars. It's about better balancing cars and people in the city. Sunday morning is a great time to do this because traffic is light, there are many other non-congested alternative routes, and of course the T is running as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from martypa. Show martypa's posts

Well, first off--bikes are vehicles and by law have to use the street. I reallize a lot of idiots think it's OK to ride their bikes on the sidewalk, but it's against the law.

I won't get into your whining about the Marathon. Move, or get another job. God forbid one of the premier footraces in the world and a huge source of revenue for city business make your life a little more difficult for one day of the year.

Second, for the people who keep on whining about Cambridge--if you don't know the difference between Mem and Storrow and which city each one is in, you either don't live here or don't use either of them to get around. So, keep your opinions to yourselves.

I am a big fan of closing Mem Drive on Sundays, which is why I think closing Storrow at the same time is a bad idea. I live in Somerville and due to the nature of my job I am in the car most Sundays, most of the day, going back and forth between Cambridge and Boston.

Closing both Mem and Storrow, even for a short time int he case of Storrow, is a horrible idea. If people really want to run, bike, etc on a Sunday morning they can always run or bike over to Mem Drive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cden4. Show cden4's posts

Absolutely, when you live in the city, you will occasionally be inconvenienced by road closures and other events. There is limited public space, and sometimes space normally dedicated to cars is temporarily apportioned to other uses.

Please be aware, though, that the proposal is for the Storrow Drive closure to end at 10:30 am. The Memorial Drive closure does not happen until 11 am. This new proposal was intentionally scheduled to not overlap with the Memorial Drive closure.

The main difference between the two closures is that the Memorial one is 1.6 miles, and is interupted by JFK Street in the middle, while the Storrow closure would be 5 miles uninterrupted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cden4. Show cden4's posts

From the City of Boston Traffic Rules and Regulations
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/pdfs/rules.pdf

From page 3:

Vehicle. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a street or highway, including bicycles, when the provisions of these Rules are applicable to them, except devices moved by human power, devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, and devices deriving their power for operation from stationary overhead wires.

From page 21:

Section 18. Driving on Sidewalks
    The driver of a vehicle shall not drive on or over any sidewalk except at a permanent or temporary driveway. The driver of a vehicle, prior to driving on or over any such driveway, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian approaching within five (5Æ) feet of such driveway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cden4. Show cden4's posts

It's definitely a bit confusing. I think bicycles are the only human powered devices that are considered a vehicle in Boston. My understanding has always been that bicycling on the sidewalk is illegal in all of Boston. In Cambridge, it is legal except in business districts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcpicbie. Show mcpicbie's posts

Now That's A GREAT IDEA!! Chance's of winning the Tri-State Lottery 5 times are better though........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

First thing I notice about the proposal is the people proposing it.

The Charles River Conservancy has spent four years or so poisoning every egg of aquatic bird the CRC can get away with.

The Charles River Conservancy supports destroying the GREEN Magazine Beach playing fields and replacing the GREEN Magazine Beach playing fields with phosphate maintained fields. The EPA thinks more phosphate sources on the Charles River is inexcuseable.

The Charles River Conservancy has run around for years destroying as much protective vegetation on the Charles River as it can get away with. The CRC considers protective vegetation unsightly. I realize that nature is unsightly. The CRC is aggressively destroying nature.

The Charles River Conservancy fought for phase 1 which preceded the soon to come destruction of the GREEN Magazine Beach.

Phase 1 started in September 2004. Phase 1 destroyed all the natural vegetation on the waterfront at Magazine Beach. Phase 1 destroyed all the wetlands at Magazine Beach. Phase 1 destroyed all the animal habitat at Magazine Beach. Phase 1 combined with other City of Cambridge work across from the Hyatt simultaneously barred the Charles River White Geese from ALL their food for the 25 plus years they have been the native residents of the BU Bridge area. The DCR proceeded to starve the Charles River White Geese after four years of insisting they had no intent to harm them. The DCR explained AFTER THE FACT that they do not consider starving the Charles River White Geese to be harming them.

The Charles River Conservancy and other members of a non-profit mafia did a photo op at Magazine Beach in late summer 2005 to brag about the advantages of this project. They said the project would improve swimming on the Charles River.

The project's most meaningful accomplishment is the installation of a bizarre wall of designer bushes which kept dying and proving the lie to claims that they were "native." Now the bushes seem to be surviving and PHYSICALLY BLOCK access between Magazine Beach and the Charles River.

Those bushes BLOCKING SWIMMING off Magazine Beach are the achievement of this project to IMPROVE SWIMMING on the Charles.

Fits the promise to do no harm to the Charles River White Geese.

FLAT OUT LIE.

Now what was that about other "improvements" to the Charles River by the Charles River Conservancy?