Did city overact to storm?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

City officials were criticized for underracting to last December's big storm which caused traffic delays up to seven hours for some commuters. And now some are wondering if the city overracted to yesterday's storm.

Is it a lose-lose situation for local DPWs?

What do you think about efforts to clear roadways yesterday? And what about the media's coverage of the snowstorm?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

I think that the decision of many to avoid a storm commute was wise, and allowed the DPWs to more effectively clear the roadways. I was surprised, though, that more did not use public transportation which, from my area southwest of the city, ran well and without delays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

This is stupid. This storm started in the middle of the night so it was easy to just cancel school and work. The last one happenned during the day while people were already out.

Who blames public officials for reacting to a storm wrong anyway ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from columbine. Show columbine's posts

We're used to the media blowing storms out of proportion. That's just normal. And while some profits and lessons were definitely lost, we'll never know now many (or how severe) crashes were averted. That's the problem with quantifying preventative efforts, isn't it? Clearing the roads and keeping people home are insurance. All it takes is one speeder, drunk, or mechanical failure to incur a cost that can never be repaid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red_mama. Show red_mama's posts

I think the response was exactly right. Anytime there is more than 5 inches of snow predicted, I think that reasonable to keep people off the roads.

The technology available for weather prediction is much more reliable than years ago. I think public officials can reasonably rely upon it to make judgements. I'd rather have them err on the side of caution.

The roads were still dangerous. There were still a large number of accidents reported. It was only because the roads were empty that these accidents didn't cause gridlock - or worse - kill anyone.

In my case, I saw the writing on the wall. I went to the office on Saturday to pick up some work to do from home. I have school age kids and knew they'd be home which meant I'd be home. I'm fortunate that I can VPN into work and I didn't lose my broadband connection.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hubguyinarlington. Show hubguyinarlington's posts

It's a lose-lose situation. After the previous storm where people were stuck for 5-6 hours in traffic, I can understand the response. No one wants to see that again, and you can't blame people for wanting to repeat the same mistakes. I went in at 12:00 Noon and the roads were clear. The DPW crews can't clear the snow if there is bumper to bumper traffic.

I do agree that the local media coverage of the storm was excessive. How much time can you dedicate to a storm ? After covering it since 5:00 AM (for most of the stations) until 7:00 AM, you've had two hours of coverage. Why cover another 2-3 more hours ? It's New England, and it snows here ever winter. I can understand some extended coverage if it was a storm similar to the Blizzard of '78.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emcee414. Show emcee414's posts

Oh how right you are about the Overexposure of snowstorm stuff. I especially love the roving reporters that are sent out to ask people about the storm, like they've never seen it before or something! Also, I just love the weathercasters that go outside with a ruler and measure the snow. I mean, come on, I know snow can be a nuisance and all, but handled properly it doesn't have to be, and we certainly don't need wall to wall coverage on it...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lpoussard. Show lpoussard's posts

I agree with the posters how say that it's better to over react than under react. But one thing I really would like to know: are we the only city that has issues when it snows? It seems like we are, but I'm sure we aren't. How do cities like Montreal, Chicago, Detriot, Buffalo, etc. deal with snow? I bet they have their systems down pat, and don't have any issues. Or maybe they do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritan1. Show ritan1's posts

Despite the media hype, the storm wasn't bad. But given that the height of it, with white-out conditions, occurred during the morning rush hour, I think the city made the right call. If this had ben an overight storm, this would not have been necessary. Keeping kids and school busses off the streets made the city a lot safer, allowed the plows to clear the streets, and generally made for an easier day. Given that most of us can work from home, what's the downside? Sometimes it's not the ferocity of the storm that makes the mess, but the timing. Making small adjustments to the weather is a smart thing to do.

PS - I went to work anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamu. Show Shamu's posts

Photobucket

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

For city officials its a lose lose proposition. They get criticized at every corner if they don't respond to pressure quickly enough, and then when do respond or try to be pre-emptive in their approach.. they get criticized.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from furpurrson. Show furpurrson's posts

I only wish I could telecommute, but I work for an employer that won't permit it because they don't trust people not to goof off when they're away from the office. (As if people don't goof off when they're IN the office!) So I just took the day off instead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kev62nesl. Show kev62nesl's posts

How can they have overacted? How many people were saved from injury and how many car accidents were averted by the action the City took. I commend the Mayor and other officals for their action. If we had less people driving to the city and more people using a better public transportation system maybe it would have been a different story. I'd rather them prepare for the worst and have it not come than be unprepared and the people complaining that they overacted are the same people who would complain if they didn't take this action and it was worse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kewcam. Show kewcam's posts

WE live in Boston, Massachussetts.

It snows here. It snows some 40 inches a year here.

Snow is not an excuse to close schools and businesses. Kids are better off inside the school and workers are better off inside their workplaces when it snows. Cancellations and call-ins 'cause of a couple of inches of snow are pure BS. I grew up in Miami, Florida...we did not call off school on the day it snowed there! But seriously, I live in Boston now. If it snows it snows. I deal with it. I shovel my sidewalk, I shovel my car and I get to work...embarrassed by the passivity and chickesh*tness of 20 minutes of school closures on WBZ and people in their 30's saying they can't make it to work. Pathetic bunch of losers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anf11. Show anf11's posts

Considering that the weather reports were that there was going to be over a foot of snow and that it was going to snow all day, no, the city did not overreact. Since the brunt of it was during the morning rush hour, I can see why people would have wanted to stay home, even though in the end the storm was not much. The problem, I think, is the way the news reports these "storms"... every time there is a chance of ANY snow or even rain in the forecast, they call it a "storm". Its funny to me, growing up in this area, we never called 4-6 inches of snow a "storm". It was just "snow". Now, they talk about the "next storm" being "just days away", when in reality, its the possibility of rain or some snow. that's not really a "storm"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gpp10. Show gpp10's posts

My thoughts......On your tombstone it will not say, " I, a Middle-Manager braved the elements to commuted "x" hours to get to an office with only "x%" of others and then complained about the drive".

My office, like many, sent an email at 6:15am saying, "use your best judgement, but it is fine to work from home today". Can you imagine, being treated like an adult. Also, the next time I am asked to work on a special project that will take extra time...I will answer YES!!!

On the other hand, my kids loved having us at home. We structured the day. Worked a little, played a lot and everyone was happy. Does anything bet building a snowman with three, happy, smiling and cold faces.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kev62nesl. Show kev62nesl's posts

when you lived in Florida did the kids go school in the middle of a hurricane?

Seriously, I am tired of hiring people who have lived through something and forget what it was like to go through it. I had to go to work yesterday and I was thankful that there were less people on the roads. It means less accidents, less people hurt. In the old days there werent as many cars on the road lest we forget , so now there are more chances for accidents. What isthe loss of a days work or school compared to the loss of a single life?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

The city officials are between a rock and a hard place however it is best to err on the side of caution. The December fiasco was a failure on many levels in so much as suggesting a mass exodus from the city at one time which in turn created a domino effect. The DPW was hindered by the earlier than anticipated traffic and unable to clear and sand roads.

The media is another story altogether and for a long time I've had issues with how a normal winter storm is over hyped and creates unnecessary panic. For example, on Sunday afternoon at a North Shore Stop & Shop I was stunned at how crowded the store was with people scurrying about and loading up shopping carts. Typical snow storm staples were wiped out and this over what turned out to be 6 inches of snow in the area where I reside. Even if we were to get a foot of snow, it isn't like people will be snowed in and house bound until March. Pretty much everyone with 1 or 2 carts filled to the brim with groceries are out and about the very next day. Were this a predicted blizzard and perhaps a 48 hour snow event, I can see the need to stockpile and prepare for at least a week's worth of provisions. After that, one can always resort to eating their neighbors! This is how absurd winter in New England has become.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

Don't we go through this every year? Over and over and over and over and over............

First Storm: the city is never prepared and people complain for days

Second Storm: the city is over-prepared and people still complain

Conclusion: Sorry Public Works, you can never get a break.

Solution: Quit electing Mumbles so we can clean up the cronies who run each department.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

www.mumblesmenino.us/images/Front%20Page.gif" width="135" align="middle" border="0" />

"I tink I gotta a cuzin' that could da work headin' da Pubwick Works De-PAHHHHTment"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

Damned if they do, damned if they don't............Umm remember the storm a couple of weeks ago, where the schools were open, the buses got caught in traffic and were hours late and everybody whined that they did not know what they were doing and DEMANDED answers. The schools need to be closed when we have these storms. It takes a lot of people off the roads and helps the clean up crew do their jobs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massfan. Show massfan's posts

The MEDIA seems to always over-react to winter storms. I really didn't think it was that bad on the roads yesterday (I live in central Mass).

The media over-reaction is fine with me. I basically ignore the local news and watch the Weather Channel for a true indication of the weather in our area. The news probably kept people home who should not be driving in bad weather. My commute into work was a little slow, but not bad at all. It was a nice, quite day in the office and I got a ton of work done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppag. Show ppag's posts

Hell Dubes, if you're not a lawyer it can't be more than 75% your fault, unless of course you voted for 'W' twice then it is 150% your fault

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shellb. Show shellb's posts

Sure, maybe there was some overexaggeration of the amount of snowfall, but that always happens, and hindsight is 20/20. I think it was good to close schools- the snow was falling very heavily during the morning commute and it was a wise call. As far as skipping out on work, that depends on where you live and how you travel. I drive even though I live in Charlestown, and so I just took the T to avoid the roads (as I was one of the ones stuck in the 6 hrs of traffic on Dec 13). Adds a little time to the commute, but really, there just wasn't enough snow to justify sitting at home when public transportation was working FINE. No one showed up where I work, not even the cafeteria staff. If I can take the T, so can you (unless you don't live in the city area where walking to the T isn't too big off a deal). Just saying.

Also, and this is a side point- but my streets got MAYBE 5-6 inches of light fluffy snow that literally brushed off cars easily. Shovelling was almost unneccesary- there was barely anything to shovel! And yet, what do I see strewn all over the streets this morning? MARKERS.... People, that is ridiculous. I shovelled my car in less than 15 min. They better be gone by tomorrow (the 48 hrs) or I'll taking them all. This is one situation where saying 'ooo, but i shovelled SO HARD, I DESERVE to keep this space' is load of BS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VDuncan. Show VDuncan's posts

It was an entirely appropriate decision in that the storm was going to hit during Monday morning rush hour and it could have made it very difficult for school buses to travel. It was very helpful that it was called the night before so plans could be made ahead of time. My business partner and I have a 5 person consulting firm downtown and we called everyone Sunday night and told them they could telecommute if they liked and we had several conference calls on Monday and all worked from our server.
    My son was stuck on a bus in Cambridge for over 3 hours during the last storm.
    Better to be safe than sorry. Good call! (and the sledding was great)