Did Massachusetts Repeal the Leash Law?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

There's a nature trail not far from where I live. I like to take long walks there. Every day, I see many people walking their dogs. I've seen probably about 50 dogs, and maybe three leashes.

A couple of days ago, this little dog decided that it would be fun to run directly behind me and jump at my feet. I do not walk slowly - I nearly kicked it in the face. Meanwhile, the dog's owner was about twenty feet behind me, watching. The dog then decided to run around my feet in circles. I had to stop walking to avoid tripping over it. I'm pretty sure that, if I fall on a five pound dog, it will be hurt worse than I will. When I turned to ask the owner to leash the dog, I just got a funny look.

Why is it OK to let dogs run wild?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Lucy, you are RIGHT.

There are a lot of us upset with the insensitivity to those of us who are not dog-centric. We don't like the dog crap on our spaces and trails. We don't love your dogs like you do. We don't enjoy the crotch sniffing, body jumping wonderful animal horniness like you do. And those of you who walk multiple dogs? Get ready for a law in your face. You cant let ten of them crap in my backyard without picking it up.

It's building.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]There are a lot of us upset with the insensitivity to those of us who are not dog-centric. We don't like the dog crap on our spaces and trails. We don't love your dogs like you do. We don't enjoy the crotch sniffing, body jumping wonderful animal horniness like you do. And those of you who walk multiple dogs? Get ready for a law in your face. You cant let ten of them crap in my backyard without picking it up.
    [/Quote]

I actually do like dogs. The only reason I don't have a dog is that my landlord won't allow it. The thing is - I don't like being attacked by strange dogs. And I don't know these total strangers well enough to be confident in their ability to train a dog.

Also - it's a safety issue for the dog. What if your dog is off the leash, running around in between the trees all happy and fantastic, and some other dog runs up and eats it? Or it gets away and gets hit by a car? I bet you'd feel pretty bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

A few years ago, I went to the marshes near Suffolk Downs. There weren't many people around, but one couple had a large dog off leash.

About an hour later, I was walking through the tall grass when the large dog jumped on me. It came out of nowhere, and it was terrifying. I grabbed it by the collar and half-dragged it out of the grass. Fortunately, the owners were nearby. I don't think they uderstood English, but they made the connection between the screams they heard from the grass, and the angry Black woman holding their dog. They leashed their dog.

Many off-leash fans argue that their dog is under "voice control." Well, you never know when you dog will decide not to respond to voice control. Leashes, and leash laws, exist for a reason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]Many off-leash fans argue that their dog is under "voice control." Well, you never know when you dog will decide not to respond to voice control. Leashes, and leash laws, exist for a reason.[/Quote]

Also, voice control is useless if you're not paying any attention to your dog. I see people all the time, walking so far behind the dog that I can't be certain they're actually together.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMovieFan. Show TheMovieFan's posts

Because the owners feel it is their right regardless of whatever the law is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]Because the owners feel it is their right regardless of whatever the law is.[/Quote]

Hmmm... is that kind of like, "If you don't have to leash your child, why should I leash my dog?"

That reminds me - a couple of weeks ago, I saw a golden retriever on a leash. The leash was held by a five-year-old. That doesn't make me feel too confident about my safety, that of the dog, or the child.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

It depends on where you are with the dog and the local laws. In my town, dogs only need to be in "voice control," except for a few locations where they are not allowed.

I have 3 dogs. Only 2 of them would I trust to be in voice control, however, I just think it is best to have them on a leash if I am going to be near any people. Boxers can look scary to some people (although they wouldn't hurt a fly), and it's not fair to scare other people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eaglesmeagle. Show Eaglesmeagle's posts

Come around the Lake Boon area of Hudson and see all sorts of dogs running around loose because their owners are too lazy to walk them. The dog officers are useless around here. One of my neighbors called the dog officer because a lab with an orange collar/transmitter was running around tearing up yards (digging) and the dog officer had the balls to ask her to try and catch the dog. Talk about unbelieveable.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I am a being-attacked-by-dogs-while-the-owners-text hater.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I NEVER let my dog off leash. She's only ten pounds, cute as a button, and has the personality of a puff adder. I don't let her get near anyone since almost everyone wants to pat her. That said, a dog may be docile, well trained, and obedient, but strangers don't know that. I don't fear dogs, but I am always wary of any off leash animal because I just don't know. Owners should realize this and act accordingly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Just like every thing else, there are good dog owners and bad dog owners.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]That said, a dog may be docile, well trained, and obedient, but strangers don't know that. I don't fear dogs, but I am always wary of any off leash animal because I just don't know. Owners should realize this and act accordingly.[/Quote]

That's exactly my problem. I am not generally afraid of dogs, but I do feel a little nervous when I see a large, unleashed dog running toward me. I'm a small person. An enthusiastic lab or golden retriever could knock me over pretty easily.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Lucy...the liberal answer to the problem is whining, looking for new laws, special dog parks, special dog hours for the trails, leashes that are certain lengths and dog owner training run by the state.

The conservative answer...kick the damn dog and keep walking. I promise that dog will never bother anyone again and that owner will keep that dog leashed in the future if you act uniltaterally and decisively in your own defense.

The owner was probably too busy talking on their cell phone to notice anyways!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Actually, it taught my boxers not to jump very quickly. Of course you don't knee them so hard that it hurts them, but they don't like it and learn not to jump.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]

You're a looney. The dog may have been attacking. It wasn't our responsiblity to make the call. It's one hundred percent the owner's. I have a scar from a dog bite. That dog is now dead and should be. I was little at the time and the owner, along with an order from the state, made the decision to kill the dog. From that time, when I was six, until I was an adult, I was fearful of dogs all because some liberal looney like you felt it was wrong to leash dogs and felt dogs before people. You, in no uncertain terms, are an @ss.[/Quote]

Simply because one dog bit you, doesn't mean they all bite. You need to get over your fears.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[Quote]Lucy, you are RIGHT.

There are a lot of us upset with the insensitivity to those of us who are not dog-centric. We don't like the dog crap on our spaces and trails. We don't love your dogs like you do. We don't enjoy the crotch sniffing, body jumping wonderful animal horniness like you do. And those of you who walk multiple dogs? Get ready for a law in your face. You cant let ten of them crap in my backyard without picking it up.

It's building.[/Quote]

Hardly an unbiased post coming from someone named "BilltheCat". You cats are always playing some kind of angle. Go hack up a fur ball or something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]

You must be able to differentiate between a hyper, poorly trained dog who jumps (which, btw, is a common and natural behavior, as puppies jump up to their mothers' faces to get their attention), and a dog who wants to eat you. If not, the problem is your ignorance, not a dog's instincts to seek nurturing.

[/Quote]

To be fair, your comment fits for those who have experience in dealing with dogs. For those who have zero experience with dogs you can't just expect them to make a differentiation in seconds time. How could someone with no experience with dogs' behavior make a distinction within split seconds that a dog is harmless or not?
    Not everyone is as experienced as you are with dogs. So for you it would be simple to differentiate. For many others it wouldn't be so simple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I thought leash laws were town/city, not state laws?

That said, it probably wouldn't matter, people do what they want regardless of laws.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Wow is this an easy issue to handle...

We need more designated off-leash areas. End of story. If a large field or one particular beach or a baseball park during the off season can be designated as an off leash area and we had multple in the metro area- well then, problem solved.

People won't stop owning dogs and other people want peace and quiet/ safety from said dogs...

Answer? Segregate dogs into large off leash areas: ie- the Sheepfold, part of Blue Hills, part of Forest Hills/ Franklin Park, part fo the beach in South Boston or Dorchester, etc. etc. and boom- problem solved.

Then just strictly enforce non-off-leash areas.

Culturally speaking- New England and the Northeast in general is very unfriendly to pets/dogs as compared to places out West.

Compromise, compromise, compromise...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]Wow is this an easy issue to handle...

We need more designated off-leash areas. End of story. If a large field or one particular beach or a baseball park during the off season can be designated as an off leash area and we had multple in the metro area- well then, problem solved.

People won't stop owning dogs and other people want peace and quiet/ safety from said dogs...

Answer? Segregate dogs into large off leash areas: ie- the Sheepfold, part of Blue Hills, part of Forest Hills/ Franklin Park, part fo the beach in South Boston or Dorchester, etc. etc. and boom- problem solved.

Then just strictly enforce non-off-leash areas.

Culturally speaking- New England and the Northeast in general is very unfriendly to pets/dogs as compared to places out West.

Compromise, compromise, compromise...[/Quote]

And who gets to decide which areas will be devoted to only dogs? And who decides how much is enough space? There is also the problem of there not being enough areas to accommodate every inhabited area. Meaning that there may not be big enough fields close enough to where people live. So you'll get complaints from these people that there isn't a place close enough to where they live. My point is it isn't all that easy because you can't please all of the people.
    If dog owners obeyed the laws and leashed their dogs and actually picked up after their dogs there wouldn't be a problem. However that isn't the case. Can't tell you how many times I've seen dog crap on the sidewalks in and around Boston. Absolutely disgusting.

Sections
Shortcuts