Drunken-driving arrests rise 70%

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

Why don't the police get these drunks when they get in the driver's seat after coming out of a bar/club?  Instead, they are allowed to get on the road and only hope to not get pulled over or kill someone. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

forgot to include link to this story:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/0626drunken_driving_arrests_rise_70/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

You can't be arrested for drunk driving if you aren't driving. You can't be arrested for sitting in the drivers seat. You could be PC'd at that point but not arrested for driving drunk.
    Plus I don't believe there are enough cops to be staked out at every bar in every city.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

Sorry don't know what PC'd is.  You are right, there are not enough cops to do this but it should be stopped.  Maybe it should be the bar's responsibility.  If it was, they would shut down which would be fantastic. 

I once worked at a liquor store and one time a woman in her later years (maybe 70's) came in and bought a pint of booze.  She downed the entire thing outside the store and collapsed.  The cops wanted to know who sold it to her - they wanted to get me in trouble!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]Sorry don't know what PC'd is.  You are right, there are not enough cops to do this but it should be stopped.  Maybe it should be the bar's responsibility.  If it was, they would shut down which would be fantastic. 

I once worked at a liquor store and one time a woman in her later years (maybe 70's) came in and bought a pint of booze.  She downed the entire thing outside the store and collapsed.  The cops wanted to know who sold it to her - they wanted to get me in trouble![/Quote]

PC is protective custody. If a cop deems you as in a situation where you might endanger yourself or someone else yet haven't committed a crime they can PC you.
    Bars ARE actually libel (sp?) if it is found that the person was over-served.
    There is nothing that can be done other than what is currently being done. People always have and always will drive drunk. One reason being that everyone ALWAYS thinks they are fine to drive. Who hasn't come across someone who was S-faced only to hear them say they weren't? We've all done it. Even with the harsh penalties and knowing about roadblocks on holiday weekends people STILL drive drunk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I'm not sure if I would refuse a breathalyzer or not.  Isn't it an automatic license suspension if you do?  From everything I've read on breathalyzer testing, I would have to drink several drinks in a short time (I am BIG) to blow a .08.  I don't drink like that.  What I don't know is, I may be able to avoid driving while intoxicated, but what about driving under the influence?  Is that just the cop's opinion, so that even one drink with a full meal in a big guy is still DUI?  What's the penalty for DUI?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]I'm not sure if I would refuse a breathalyzer or not.  Isn't it an automatic license suspension if you do?  From everything I've read on breathalyzer testing, I would have to drink several drinks in a short time (I am BIG) to blow a .08.  I don't drink like that.  What I don't know is, I may be able to avoid driving while intoxicated, but what about driving under the influence?  Is that just the cop's opinion, so that even one drink with a full meal in a big guy is still DUI?  What's the penalty for DUI?[/Quote]

DUI is if you blow .08 or higher. If you have one drink at dinner you wouldn't be drunk and therefore a cop wouldn't have a need to think you might be which then could lead to field sobriety test. Being intoxicated or being under the influence is the same thing. Maybe not in the true definition but as far as drunk driving it is.
    Also I don't believe your size has anything to do with whether you blow .08 or not. Rule of thumb is a drink and hour and you're fine. Of course no one really does that, which is why there are so many drunk drivers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

[Quote]Remember. MA is the only state in the nation in which your refusal to partake in ANY sobriety tests (field sobriety and/or breathalizer) cannot be used against you in court (in most states it's considered a defacto addmission of guilt). 

So, if you had 2 glasses of wine with dinner, and go through a check point, when the cop asks if you've been drinking say "no".  (If you say "Yes, 2 glasses of wine, you've already half way convicted yourself.")

If the conversation goes further, be polite and simply refuse any tests and ask to speak to your attorney.  You may get arrested, but you will not get convicted.[/Quote]

Perhaps you need check your facts again, MA is one of 49 states that require the breathalyzer test or your license is suspended for refusing it...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1496183. Show user_1496183's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenR. Show BenR's posts

mtbr:  5X4 is correct, and you are not.  The implied consent law allows the state to sanction you for refusing a breathalyzer (from 180 day suspension up to life, depending on the circumstances) but the refusal to do so is NOT admissible evidence in Court.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from darky324. Show darky324's posts

Making public transportation available after the bars close at 2AM would solve an awful lot of problems.

Of course this is massachusetts and that will never happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]Making public transportation available after the bars close at 2AM would solve an awful lot of problems.

Of course this is massachusetts and that will never happen.[/Quote]
    Yes...let's put blame on the city/state instead of where it belongs...on the people who are doing the act of driving drunk. How about using a cab or how about (gasp) not drinking much so you can drive???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

[Quote]
    Yes...let's put blame on the city/state instead of where it belongs...on the people who are doing the act of driving drunk. How about using a cab or how about (gasp) not drinking much so you can drive???
    [/Quote]

I think his point was simply to offer a reasonable alternative. Public transportation would keep more drunks off the road. Try to be a little less bitter...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

[Quote]mtbr:  5X4 is correct, and you are not.  The implied consent law allows the state to sanction you for refusing a breathalyzer (from 180 day suspension up to life, depending on the circumstances) but the refusal to do so is NOT admissible evidence in Court.  [/Quote]

You just stated what I said... that it is an automatic suspension of your license... I said nothing about admisibility in court. And I doubt that is allowed anywhere since you have the right to not incriminate yourself, which would be a violation of the Constitution.

So yes, I am right, again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

All cars should now be sold with driving inhibitors that do not allow the car to be started with the sent of alcohol but given the fact that this would be an "option" upon buying the car most people will forgo it.  Just like airbags it should be a standard device in cars. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

I like the approach of  other countries with zero tolerance, that would take care fo the problem real quick if you lost your license forever for getting caught just once.

I think the problem we have going on here is 2 isses at play: The first is that  NOT being able to go out and have a drink or two with dinner is just stupid. Common sense for anyone with half a brain would immediately note that hoenstly- harping on people for a beer with their burger or 2 wines with their pasta  is a bit over the top.

At the same time- I challenge anyone to refute the fact that the way that the current set up is is clearly a  SYSTEM that public authorities,  lawyers, and even  certain  non-profits WANT as many to be a part of as possible.  The WANT you in the system- they want you to have to pay the legal fees, to go to all the programs,  check in and be under someone's yolk.  If it weren't drunk driving- it would be something else.  In other countries- you lose your license and thats it, here- we have this long, protracted,  large and padded system that  is designed to  make money, make jobs, and  keep people beholden. I say, just yank the licenses.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllTeedUp. Show AllTeedUp's posts

Have you tried getting a cab in Boston late at night?  It's almost impossible.  Obviously driving drunk is a decision but keeping public transportation open later would at least provide an alternative.  Every other major city does.  Also I think it is considered profiling if cops wait outside a bar to pull people over for DUI's.  Where do they do these road blocks anyway?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

[Quote]Making public transportation available after the bars close at 2AM would solve an awful lot of problems.

Of course this is massachusetts and that will never happen.[/Quote]

You’re absolutely right. It’ll never happen

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42Giants. Show 42Giants's posts

While all these ideas of public transportation are good ones, the problem is accross MA and not all areas of the state have public transportation.
    As economic conditions in the state decline, the number of people turning to drugs and alcohol increase.  It is not just the young 20 somethings that do this, it's the elderly, baby boomers and generation X & Y's as well. 
    The DARE program in schools was used throughout the 90's for school children to be educated but since state funding has declined, this is one of the first programs to be cut.  Then, there is a generation of folks who never had anything like that in public school. 
    There is an entire education process that needs to be done in the state to stop people from doing this. 
    I would like to see some statistics as to the age groups of the increase in offenders. 

Sections
Shortcuts