Firemen and the city

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Firemen and the city

We have a situation where, once again, the firefighters union is standing up against the mayor, and is about to disrupt the mayor's annual talk with the people of Boston.

I understand that there is no contract in place, and there is a lot of posturing on both sides, but I believe that the firefighters union doesn't have a leg to stand on. During the past year there have been so many reports of abuses, starting with the lack of drug and alcohol testing, followed by rampant abuse of retirement issues, that the entire fire department management has no credibility at this point.

I believe that we are at a "tipping point", as the bestseller states, when city management may have to replace the fire department unless the union takes a more rational stand.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Firemen and the city

The unions and civil servants run the city .. elected officals are only temporary caretakers who are allowed to breath only if it doesn't interfere with the other agendas .. like light work and planning for retirement.

Menino's heart is in the right place, I believe,what he really needs is a coupel of very tough sidekicks to do his dirty work - every mayor and governor has a few around. That way, they can keep their skirts clean and get the hard jobs done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Firemen and the city

AGreed .. the unions were an absolute requirement in order to provide a living wage and safer working conditions. They now exist for their own purposes, it seems.

I'd like to see Menino do a Ron Reagan - don't agree to their terms and if they go on strike - fire'em. -- so to speak.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Firemen and the city

AGreed .. and also for the safety of the other ifrefighters as well. It can be a very dangerous job, and they really must be in mnetal and physical shape to handle the dangers in a split second, if need be.

You can't do that if you're high, or hung over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Firemen and the city

I'm sure it would be difficult to accomplish .. but not impossible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Firemen and the city

agreed