Go ahead Governor Patrick, raise the gas tax

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Governor Lynch needs my money

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I'm with you, though it's Gov. Carcceri (sp??) who'd get my money. Ironic, really, since half of RI ends up shopping in MA to save 2% sales tax. This is a bad idea. No redeeming value. Though I will point out that had Weld listened to anyone when he took office and NOT given the Big Dig to the Turmpike Authority, we might not have this issue. However, since that can't be undone, let's find a better way, like cutting salaries for all MTA board members by 100% the first year, then gradually give anyone who is left 20% of what they now make.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

bump

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[Quote]I'm with you, though it's Gov. Carcceri (sp??) who'd get my money. Ironic, really, since half of RI ends up shopping in MA to save 2% sales tax. This is a bad idea. No redeeming value. Though I will point out that had Weld listened to anyone when he took office and NOT given the Big Dig to the Turmpike Authority, we might not have this issue. However, since that can't be undone, let's find a better way, like cutting salaries for all MTA board members by 100% the first year, then gradually give anyone who is left 20% of what they now make.[/Quote]

Just eliminate the MTA altogether! Autonomous hackfest that answers to no one

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[Quote]Are there any "locks" on fuel taxes that require them to be used for infrastructure projects? Or can they be used for anything the pols want?[/Quote]

You're kidding right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

bump

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[Quote]Maybe. Just ignorant.

If fuel taxes had to fund infrastructure, maybe our roads/bridges wouldn't be in such dire straits (money for nuthin. chicks for free).[/Quote]

Beware of democrats bearing earmarks. Think cigarette tax

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[Quote]

You're kidding right?[/Quote]

From AP Story from boston.com

The state would also have a Massachusetts Transportation Trust Fund that would be a protected repository for gasoline taxes, Registry fees, tolls, MBTA fares and other transportation funding.

The plan calls for the state's Highway Division to receive $325 million, or 12.5 cents, of the added 27 cents-per-gallon gas tax. The MBTA would receive $286 million, or 11 cents, while the regional transit authorities would receive $39 million, or 1.5 cents.

The Highway Division would oversee all state-owned roads and bridges, except for Department of Conservation and Recreation parkways and bridges and the Tobin Bridge. It would continue to collect tolls at the Boston Harbor tunnel crossings, as well as the state borders with New York and Connecticut.

I agree with Greg though, beware of state allocations as it all goes to the general fund and then the legislature does what it wants.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[Quote]

Just eliminate the MTA altogether! Autonomous hackfest that answers to no one[/Quote]

The MTA was a well run, (in terms of the State, low bar I know) authority like MPA before the legislature took the cowards way out and transferred the Big Dig to the MTA because they had the ability to toll and pay off bonds. This payback model was doomed from the start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

bump

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[Quote]I wonder if Mass 'plans' to expand its desperate tax hunt by demanding the names of MA drivers who buy gas in NH?

It HAS come down to being desperate.[/Quote]

That's what the embedded chip in the new state inspection ticket is for, they wont have to ask they will know,...welcome to 1984, just a little late.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[Quote]

Just eliminate the MTA altogether! Autonomous hackfest that answers to no one[/Quote]

Fine by me. Think that'll happen? The legislature keeps blocking it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[Quote]

Fine by me. Think that'll happen? The legislature keeps blocking it.[/Quote]

No, MTA union and MHD union just don't mix.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

No wonder they call it Taxachusetts. Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend is all the leadership does in Massachusetts.

This 27 cent gas tax they are talking about is just a way that the state government can pay for the incompidence and bad decision-making of a bunch of government hack and their cronies. No wonder why we are the laughingstock of the country.

Hang your head in shame Massachusetts citizens because you voted in these nitwits into public office and now they want to take as much money as they can take from you.

NEXT TIME DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND VOTE REPUBLICAN AND GET THESE TAX AND SPENDERS OUT OF OFFICE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[Quote]Newsflash, Greg. Folks who think they'll save money by driving to NH to buy gas already do it. 95% of people couldn't be bothered.[/Quote]

Give me the highest gas tax in the land and I'll bother. I have family in Methuen and you can throw a rock at the gas station on the line - and Campbell's Scottish Highlands, one of my favorite golf courses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I live near the NH border, and gas is not cheaper across the line, though of course, I can't say the same about cigarettes and alcohol. <impromptu sing-along alert>

Is it my imagination
    Or have I finally found something worth living for?
    I was looking for some action
    But all I found was cigarettes and alcohol

You could wait for a lifetime
    To spend your days in the sunshine
    You might as well do the white line
    Cos when it comes on top . . .

You gotta make it happen!

Is it worth the aggravation
    To find yourself a job when there's nothing worth working for?
    It's a crazy situation
    But all I need are cigarettes and alcohol!

You could wait for a lifetime
    To spend your days in the sunshine
    You might as well do the white line
    Cos when it comes on top . . .

You gotta make it happen!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I think raising the gas tax another fitty cents is an amazingly fair and reasonable idea in MA. People can afford it, the government needs it, and it effects the guy who drives the Hummer pays the most.

SO what if people dirve to NH to buy gas, so what if they bring extra gas cans with them to help them get by for several days, so what if they stop at Walmart while they are there and buy diapers and other household supplies. So what if they buy their big screened TV's there. SO what if they grocery shop while they are there. SO what if they simply move to another state. SO what if they leave for vacation but decide to wait until they get to NH before stopping for gas??? Who cares if commercial truckers and businesses create strategies to avoid MA and fuel their trucks in NH?? Who cares?????

I do. Keep it up Deval. What's bad for MA is good for NH, what's good for NH is good for ME!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

I live near the NH border, and gas is not cheaper across the line, though of course, I can't say the same about cigarettes and alcohol.
    -----------------------

If Governor Uncertain gets his way, you will be able to say the same about gas, cigarettes and alcohol. Thats the point

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

[Quote]
    I think raising the gas tax another fitty cents is an amazingly fair and reasonable idea in MA. People can afford it, the government needs it, and it effects the guy who drives the Hummer pays the most.

SO what if people dirve to NH to buy gas, so what if they bring extra gas cans with them to help them get by for several days, so what if they stop at Walmart while they are there and buy diapers and other household supplies. So what if they buy their big screened TV's there. SO what if they grocery shop while they are there. SO what if they simply move to another state. SO what if they leave for vacation but decide to wait until they get to NH before stopping for gas??? Who cares if commercial truckers and businesses create strategies to avoid MA and fuel their trucks in NH?? Who cares?????

I do. Keep it up Deval. What's bad for MA is good for NH, what's good for NH is good for ME!!!!
    [/Quote]

I live on the cape, 90 miles to the Nh border, and 50 miles to RI, so this will hit me pretty hard. I don't pay tolls to commute, I drive to Hingham every day, and use about 30 gallons of gas per week. This increase will cost me about $9 per week, or $450 per year. That doesn't count what ever price increase the oil companies tack on, gas is going up and it will jump in my area come summer time.

I already drive a fuel efficient vehicle, 26 mpg avg, and it's at 120k miles. Before anyone tells me to move or get a job closer to home, spare me, it's not happening and you know it. My company just laid-off 17% of their workforce, 42% in my department alone. I'm lucky to have a job, my healthcare is rising $15 per week, because my company needs to conserve cash. Add another $780 to my increased expenses.

Just my rant for day, thank you for listening, oh by the way, I'm against any tax increases, period. I'm more for waste elimination, and reducing the size on the MA legislature. A guy needs a dream right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]
    If Governor Uncertain gets his way, you will be able to say the same about gas, cigarettes and alcohol. Thats the point[/Quote]

But isn't the MA gas tax already higher than NH's...?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[Quote]

But isn't the MA gas tax already higher than NH's...?[/Quote]

Prices are about the same. That would change.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]

Prices are about the same. That would change.[/Quote]

So retail prices are similar, but the data I saw shows the MA gas tax as $0.235 and NH as $0.18. (same for diesel)

Obviously, the purported $0.27 increase would greatly impact prices, but how much of a tax increase would raise prices enough to force gas buyers over the border? 10 cents? 15 cents?

How much would a tax increase be offset by a tax credit for fuel-efficient vehicles and/or the resulting reduced usage?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

raising the tax is a joke. people are getting laid off, taking salary cuts, etc. we are bringing in less income and yet our bills are increasing. And on top of it, they want to increase our taxes to pay off the disastrous big dig and to help fund the mbta? let me tell you, the mbta should be on its own. every time the mbta gets more money usually by increasing fares, they do not improve anything. if anything, the service gets worse, and the employees are doing very well, money wise. for the mbta to cry money problems, and receive aid, is a joke. if they are so poor, they should not have spent all the money they did on the charlie pass system. it was not necessary, and now we need to bail them out? give me a break!
    what needs to happen is to eliminate wasteful spending. going into office and saying im going to slash this and this and raise taxes is the easy way out. do some actual work and cut what is being wasted, remove the useless but high paid employees, etc. do a serious evaluation of what is needed and at what cost. because most of us frankly cant afford to keep up with rising expenses while we are taking pay cuts and losing our jobs, and we shouldnt have to.
    this state is a joke. where do they think people can continue to come up with this money from to pay the state's bills, bills that resulted from wasteful spending? we have our own bills to pay for. we as responsible residents arent receiving a bailout to help us, but all these poorly managed companies are. nevermind the state being a joke, the whole country is a joke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[Quote]Are there any "locks" on fuel taxes that require them to be used for infrastructure projects? Or can they be used for anything the pols want?[/Quote]

As I understand it, Gas taxes have go to a trust fund used for Road projects. It can't be used for anything else. But, the state can reduce other moneys that go for infrastructure. If current projects received 50% of thier funding comes from the trust fund and 50% comes from other taxes. This ratio can be change to 75% from the trust fund.

The issue is that the trust fund has been depleted. This is a problem inherited by current Gov. Had the previous Gov. intended to serve more than 1 term instead of using most of his 1st term to run from president, then he may have been motivated to tackle the problem before it got ritical instead of leaving it for his successor.