Goodbye 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Goodbye 2011

So…here we are…another year about to close upon us. I love New Year’s. While I have always been sentimental over Christmas..to me New Year’s is a time for reflection and new beginnings.

I am not generally one who makes “New Year resolutions” on a regular basis. Rather, I just try to be a better person..work on the things I need to work on and move towards progress as a person ( whatever progress is defined as). Last year, however, I made three resolutions. One..to become a better friend to a woman who has been a source of inspiration to me for years yet whom I have kept at the periphery of my life. In this, I succeeded. My second resolution was very specific and it was to run the 5 mile road race my town sponsors on Thanksgiving. This one I did not see through due to a knee injury weeks prior..so it will remain on my list of things to accomplish in the coming year. My third resolution was pretty specific as well..to spend a winter afternoon in the North End with someone whose words  inspired me to discover this part of Boston I’ve grown to love so much over the past year. This did not happen either and for me falls under the category of wishes that will never come true. So….considering my success rate for New Year’s resolutions appears to be only marginally better than David Ortiz’ batting average..I think I will stick with what worked before..so..enough about resolutions.

What really matters to me at 2011 comes to a close is the lessons I learned. I learned that not everything we wish for comes true..and nor should it. If everything we wished for actually happened ..then wishes would be ..well..nothing special and if nothing else..a wish should always be something special.

I learned that people who encourage you to compromise your values..and be someone less than who you are..are not worth knowing in the end. I learned that it is okay to put your heart in the driver’s seat once in a while..but if you do..make sure your head in the passenger seat acting as the navigator. This is one of my life rules which was overlooked this year.

I learned that no one is perfect and nothing should be more important than being true to yourself..and embracing those who really matter.

Having spent the last few weeks setting up and arranging hospice care for two people who have been like parents to me over the last 25 years..I know that 2012 is..for sure..going to be a year of goodbyes. ..but it will also be a year of accomplishments and new beginnings for me and for those whom I cherish.

To me..the greatest gift we can give ourselves in the coming year is to appreciate what we have..who we have and who we are. Because..sometimes you just never know what tomorrow will bring.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

Re: Goodbye 2011

"I learned that people who encourage you to compromise your values..and be someone less than who you are..are not worth knowing in the end. I learned that it is okay to put your heart in the driver’s seat once in a while..but if you do..make sure your head in the passenger seat acting as the navigator. This is one of my life rules which was overlooked this year"

There is a word for people like that. Since the censors won't let me use my first choice suffice it to say they are called USERS. I have great USER radar and can spot these people a mile away. ( especially when it comes to women )Remember what's past is passed.  I for one am glad to see 2011 come to an end.