Have we become 'weather wimps'?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Some say that folks in Massachusetts (and surrounding areas) don't handle winter weather as well they used to - with more frequent school snow days (and the dreaded 'early releases'), staying home from work, and the inevitable rushes at grocery and hardware stores just before snow hits.
    Have we become soft? Or is it more a perception of the local media's over-the-top "Storm Force" coverage?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jefferson20. Show jefferson20's posts

With regional schools there is much more emphasis on driving, either by bus or car, which translates into travel problems you'd never have if most kids were within walking distance. I was fortunate, and probably unheard of today, to always be within walking distance for k-12.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattytars. Show mattytars's posts

Yes we have. I find it amazing that everyone runs for the hills when we get 5-7 inches of snow. Constant news coverage of snow blown reporters standing in the parking lot of the old Grill 93 in Andover and along the beach wall at Revere Beach, not to mention in the middle of nowhere in Leominster and, of course, Worcester. It takes over the whole 30 minute newscast. Might as well just got to the internet to get any real news going on in this world when it snows in Boston (Iraq War, Economic Emergency, etc).
    Time for Bostonians to suck it up, shovel out, and quit acting like the world is coming to an end when we get a couple inches of snow. Arent we the same people that made it through 1978?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ignorethisuser. Show ignorethisuser's posts

Don't forget the dreaded "1 - 2 punch" dig out the overused cliches!

Why doesn't someone (anyone) on the news point out that no one died of starvation during the blizzard of 78. Also if you lose your power, your milk and half the other items you just bought at the grocery store will go bad. I could see people stocking up on beer and cans of tuna fish. What the panic stricken buy before any storm is simply irrational.

We have a budget crises so state employees are given the day off WITH pay? It's a wonder the state didn't fall apart without their services. Maybe we should give them all a month off without pay to solve the budget crises. Most of us wouldn't notice the difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from timfromvt. Show timfromvt's posts

I think a lot of it is just job justification by the local weathermen and municipal workers. The weather forecasters always exagerate the snowfall....and many muni workers....products of hack hiring...exemplify their lack of training and caring. If they do a shoody job, they have to go bback over it...on OVERtime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

YES

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

People have longer commutes and longer drives to and from schools now, so there is more of an emphasis on how weather affects travel.

With things like 7 hour commutes as seen last year, I see no problem with people acting the way they do.

First of all, the state should be more competent to plow and prepare our roadways and to keep them clean. When traveling through upstate New York, their Thruway seems to be clear almost all of the time, even when it snows.

Here, it seems that they wait until it starts snowing, then they get to work.

The snow can be crippling when people need to use the roadways and highways and they aren't adequately cleared. It has nothing to do with being a "weather wimp".

But I do think going out and buying 5 gallons of milk and all of that is a little much for a little snow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marcel81. Show marcel81's posts

Yes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firegerry. Show Firegerry's posts

Bribeau has said it well. We haven't become wimps, the media has conditioned us to act like wimps. This is December in New England, it's suppose to snow here! Governor Patrick is another one who whips everybody into a frenzy over five or six inches of snow? What would he do if he had to face a real crisis, sit and cry? I stopped into a Stop & Shop this morning, nice and quiet. An employee told me: "Yesterday, they were like mad men and women in here, it was crazy!" I'm begging the electronic media to go back to being in the news business, not the entertainment business!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonspaz. Show Bostonspaz's posts

Yes on both counts. The media is responsible, and people are less responsible
    generally. Everyone would "rather be somwhere else" 99 % of the time in this
    region, we have become so conditioned to "leisure" in this culture that the idea
    that people used to milk cows and chop wood is beyond the reach of all but the
    most seasoned new englander at this point, we just want to watch 80 channels,
    or a DVD, or play video games, or tap away on a keyboard, we have become
    an ON DEMAND culture. We want to be entertained, the media thing is just
    a symptom of a much larger disease. Namely the I WANT IT NOW ideation.
    If thats Armegeddon or the Patriots game, who cares, most people just want
    it to be 90 degrees and sunny, and I have news for you, they will complain about that too. Because the one thing about your general New Englander is if he doesn't have a reason to complain he doesn't have a reason to live.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

We have been made far more wary of inclement weather by the media hype for every minor storm. But in defense of the "Wimps", our lifestyles require far more driving and there are far more cars on the roads to contend with than in years past. Still... people, it snows in Boston in the winter. Get used to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]
    Here, it seems that they wait until it starts snowing, then they get to work.

[/Quote]

Wouldn't the plows HAVE to wait for the snow to be able to get to work plowing??? Seems logical to me....unless I'm missing something

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccb2006. Show ccb2006's posts

[Quote]

Wouldn't the plows HAVE to wait for the snow to be able to get to work plowing??? Seems logical to me....unless I'm missing something[/Quote]

I think msantos means that they plow crews should "pretreat" the roads with salt and ice melt before it starts, so that when it does start snowing, it melts quicker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbreeze. Show cbreeze's posts

turn the tv off and live life

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Back in my day... we didnt have shovels. We had old tin cans and we shoveled 10 feet of snow every day, because we liked it!! We loved it!

The one thing New Englanders are good at, its remembering the past as if its some amazing magical era that seperates them from the rest of the world as if they and ONLY they could be so great, and in this case, tough beyond all pale.

Snow is snow. Americans today are lazier than ever and will find any reason to feel entitled to live the easy life. Its not wimpiness!

Get a grip New England chest-thumpers. We are all to blame for the hysteria and selective memory..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from louisevenden. Show louisevenden's posts

Very dangerous indeed! As a Wisconsin native, I have been amused for 19 years now with Boston/Eastern Mass snow driving behavior. While snow falls exceeding 8" must have been cmmon for centruries, snow driving skills are woefully inadequate. Yesterdaya fternoon at 4pm, with 3" of snow on the ground, I was stimied by a string of four cars(three were Jeep/Suv vehicles) spininng wildly and fishtailing up Beacon Street in front the Statehouse.I was aptient/after all at speeds of 15 mph nobody could get hurt. Is it simple laziness or have Boston-area folk decided to ignore the weather in favor of virtual driving?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

[Quote]turn the tv off and live life[/Quote]
    ..says the man on the Internet!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexbeam. Show alexbeam's posts

There are people that live in winter conditions that make our snowstorms look like spring showers. Too many people in the Boston area refuse to follow the simple set of rules that make managing bad weather....manageable.

The first rule is to always be prepared to handle normal storm situations. You can't prepare for week long power outages, but you can have water and less perishable food and warm clothes and boots and flashlights and a radio and plenty of batteries available.

The second rule is to avoid driving as much as possible immediately before and during a storm. If you have children at school or other reasons to be outside, arrange to get everyone home well BEFORE the storm hits. If your boss won't let you leave to pick them up, quit.

The third rule is to treat other people as you want to be treated. BE CONSIDERATE!!!!

Last year I witnessed people blocking traffic at intersections in spite of the fact that it contributed to their own problems. Over and over again I would see someone at a red light move into the space that had opened up n front of them thus blocking those with a green light from moving. Instant gridlock. Constant gridlock. This type of stupidity is unforgiveable when it threatens the welfare of all of us. Imagine if people were trying to escape something worse, such as a terrorist attack. UNFORGIVEABLE.

Oh yeah, and I do agree that the media has been overstating the storm severity most of the time for years which leads to lots of people not taking them seriously and causes more problems for all of us. It's irresponsible pseudo-journalism at its worst.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexbeam. Show alexbeam's posts

oh yeah - also - LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lottadogs. Show lottadogs's posts

After 4 days of no power I don't feel much like a wimp but my mom talks about 2 weeks without power and going over to the icehouse in Lynn to get ice to keep perishables (this was a hurricane power outage)
    I think if MA gets hit with a hurricane it will wash away never to be heard from again.
    Would have been nice if the doom and gloom weather people would have predicted the bad ice storm. I miss Don Kent!
    As a New Englander I have snow tires on my car, a generator, a propane caterer type stove, and need to replace my chain saw.
    IMO the clueless kids need to sit down and ask grandma and grampa how to survive without a cell phone, ipod and tv!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swine. Show Swine's posts

Its probably because more people residing in Boston are not originally from New England. Trust me, when it comes to being soft about the weather, no one outdoes the south, I moved to Nashville from Boston a few years ago and I whenever it snows more than a few inches in Nashville everyone runs out to buy up all the bread and milk.

Additionally whenever there is ice or snow you will see dozens of cars off in ditches on the side of the road. People down here really have no idea what they are doing. I've even seen some people jump right out of their cars when it is obviously icey and fall flat on their back; they get up wondering what this queer, cold substance on the ground is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swine. Show Swine's posts

When I was living in Brookline one of my favorite things to do was to walk around during or just after a big snowstorm and help people dig their cars out and get them moving.... what a good time. Man I miss that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrystalPhoenix. Show CrystalPhoenix's posts

We've absolutely turned into wimps, and some of the excuses I'm seeing above are lame. The regional school districts of today are generally SMALLER than those of thirty years ago. The suburbs haven't gotten any bigger, they're not any farther from Boston than they are now, and there's a lot more commuter rail than there once was. And half the vehicles out there are SUVs or all-terrain vehicles!

So let's take the last couple days. The supermarkets were insane on Thursday (right, as if since '78 there's been anywhere in New England where the roads have been closed for as much as a single DAY, and as if there's any suburbanite who doesn't have two weeks of food in cupboards). I was out at noon in Quincy, and there wasn't more than 4" on the ground, but people were acting as if a foot had fallen.

We need to get a grip, accept that this is New England and that sometimes it snows, that we just need to drive more slowly but that we don't need to cancel our lives every time it happens. Nut up, for heaven's sake.

Sections
Shortcuts