I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache.

Last sunday night into monday; I didn't get a wink of sleep because my teeth started hurting like they usually do once/twice a year.  

The pain was intense; but I didn't go to the store to get a bottle of asprin until the next day ( Monday ).

When I bought asprin; I downed the whole bottle.  The label says never take more than 8 pills in a 24 hour period.  Possible complications are liver damage, internal bleeding; etc; etc.

I took the last 3 pills this morning ( 9:45am ) which was exactly 24 hours from the first 4 pills I took the previous day;   and 3/4 pills every couple of hours since.

I guess I can withstand it - no problem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Re: I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache.

You might be asking; why don't I go to a dentist.

Dentists aren't free.  And I don't want to sign up for that phony baloney healthcare system.

Thank god for over-the-counter medicine. 

I can be my own doctor/pharmacist.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache.:
    [QUOTE]Last sunday night into monday; I didn't get a wink of sleep because my teeth started hurting like they usually do once/twice a year.   The pain was intense; but I didn't go to the store to get a bottle of asprin until the next day ( Monday ). When I bought asprin; I downed the whole bottle.  The label says never take more than 8 pills in a 24 hour period.  Possible complications are liver damage, internal bleeding; etc; etc. I took the last 3 pills this morning ( 9:45am ) which was exactly 24 hours from the first 4 pills I took the previous day;   and 3/4 pills every couple of hours since. I guess I can withstand it - no problem.
    Posted by WriterXT[/QUOTE]

Buy a teething gel. These have anasthetic. There are adult-strength ones in CVS and Walgreens. 
    You do realize though that eating painkillers is just treating the symptom, not the problem, right?
    You could end up with a stomach ulcer from the aspirin, perhaps. Be careful.
    I do believe that dental hospitals treat emergency cases for free if you allow the prof to use your mouth as a teaching-aid for students. Just a thought. 
    Also, there are natural non-addictive sleep-aids in pharmacies too (like melatonin pills). 
    Some say that clove-oil also helps with toothache. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Please find a way to get dental care, it's only going to get worse and you could end up losing all your teeth.   Just cause you're walking and talking doesn't mean you don't have liver damage.  Tylenol is particularly toxic and can cause permanent liver damage after one overdose.      Just a thought,  years ago I had a friend that was down on her luck and got low cost dental care at Tufts Dental School [she was pleased with the results].       A course of antibiotics and one prescription pain pill would have given you more relief than that OTC stuff.            Are you sure you took Aspirin?   The box you posted looks like:    Tylenol [Acetaminophen].        You are taking massive amounts of OTC medication without adequate relief.   There are some things in life you can skimp on,  dental care isn't one of them,  capice?       http://dental.tufts.edu/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

so far so good;  in four days - the left side of my teeth and gums have gone from intense pain to a little bothersome soreness;   the last pills i took were a pair of tylenols yesterday afternoon

i tend to think smaller body types are more easily suspeptable to health problems than larger body types;   not necessarily meaning obese; but someone like myself   6 feet;  250lbs,   someone like me who walks a quarter mile twice if not more times a day; lifts weights

i suppose if i were like most people 5' 10 or shorter; 120 pounds or lighter and ate foods like salad; pasta and fruit most of the time;   i'd experience a lot more problems than i have to

most people ( assuming most of you are ) go to the doctor twice if not more a year;   

I haven't been to a doctor for a check up in 20 years; same thing for a dentist
    even if i had the money; all dentists are good for are cleaning teeth and pulling the ones that have decayed. i don't need a dentist for anything else;  

if simple extractions were free to all customers;  I'd go

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Seriously?

You can get septic and die from an untreated tooth infection; you probably need a root canal.  It won't just go away.  And, you can die of an OTC pain killer OD, too, even a man of your height and weight.  ODing on aspirin isn't as deadly as on Tylenol -  the damage that does is irreversible, btw.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucysandini. Show lucysandini's posts

Do anything but stay off these boards. I thought bonapitz was a tool but you just trumped him by a yard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

What are you people saying? 

If tooth extractions ( with a little novocaine on the side ) were free; I said I'd go. 

But as you people make it out - it won't be that simple will it?  

I don't want to go to a doctor ( much less a dentist ) and be given a lot of flimsy static about them needing to take x-rays or ( god forbid ) do tests. 

That's the perfect opportunity for these people to treat me like some lab rat.

It's like going into a bank - when all you want to do is cash your check; the teller tries to sell you on getting a bank account with them.    Please. Undecided

If I were to walk in to a dentist's office; he's ( or she ) going to give me the same ragamaroot you people are.  Convincing me to do x, y, z, b. 

I want to walk in; get a few teeth pulled for free and walk out.  
    Simple.

Instead of getting into an argument with some overzealous moronic practitioner;  I'd rather just down as much asprin as I need to.   A couple of weeks ago a tooth on my right side finally fell out after it bothered me for the longest time;  so too ( hopefully ) will the ones on my left. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

OK, I give up.   It is sad when people get good advice and don't take it.     Someday you will realize we were trying to help.                Also,  dental decay and dental disease can cause putrid halitosis unrelieved by mouthwash.      http://dental.tufts.edu/                         

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

This is 2011.   Technology does almost everything. 

Face to face communication is ( for lack of a better word ) obsolete. 

http://www.hivesocialmedia.net/social-customer/how-social-media-has-changed-the-way-we-socialize/

Ever see the movie Surrogates?

I rest my case.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Cheer up..the pain has probably subsided because the infection has likely killed the nerves. I wouldn't worry too much about having to pay to have teeth pulled because it sounds like they're all going to fall out anyhow. Hey..how's your social life..? Because I know someone who has rotting teeth and wont' go to the dentist and people basically avoid this person like the plague..not necessarily because of cosmetic reasons, but because his breath is so putrid it's difficult to be near him when he is speaking.
    Also, if you did indeed take that many aspirin, you've probably caused serious damage to your stomach lining. May not feel it today..but I am sure one day in the future, you are going to eat the wrong thing and be in such pain that you will wish you were dead.
    Also, the bacteria growing in your mouth will someday affect the health of your heart..so way to go...
    It seems to me from your post that your refusal to buy health insurance( which has nothing to do with healthcare) is the least of your irresponsible behavior..
    Unlike some of the others, I am not going to tell you what you should be doing. You are an adult. Acting irresponsible is your choice. Unfortunately, Whatdoyouwantnow is right..we'll all wind up paying for your irresponsiblility...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

Wow, what is with all the judges above? The original poster comes and shares a thought and opinion then is attacked. It is no wonder these message boards become such hostile grounds. It seems as if each above reply could have just handed the advice to WriterXT without the added insults. No need to call him irresponsible or pass on bad information.

WriteXT, unless one of the above is an actual MD or DMD, don't follow their advice this could be just as dangerous. Hope you feel better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

In Response to Re: I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache.:
    [QUOTE]Wow, what is with all the judges above? The original poster comes and shares a thought and opinion then is attacked. It is no wonder these message boards become such hostile grounds. It seems as if each above reply could have just handed the advice to WriterXT without the added insults. No need to call him irresponsible or pass on bad information. WriteXT, unless one of the above is an actual MD or DMD, don't follow their advice this could be just as dangerous. Hope you feel better.
    Posted by cathbunk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pep talk.   At least you're the only one who'll give it.
    As bad as I felt sunday night into monday;  I'm glad the pain has for the most part subsided to partial soreness now and then;  the last three mornings I felt not much pain at all  (most of it comming at night lying down going to sleep )

At least I'm not Louie CK.   
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qOaZ4CQqKI

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache. : Thanks for the pep talk.   At least you're the only one who'll give it. As bad as I felt sunday night into monday;  I'm glad the pain has for the most part subsided to partial soreness now and then;  the last three mornings I felt not much pain at all  (most of it comming at night lying down going to sleep ) At least I'm not Louie CK.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qOaZ4CQqKI  

Glad the pain is subsiding. I understand how you feel when you come here to let off a little steam or ask a question and others feel the need to judge you. I have been judged too, by a few. Until one walks in ones shoes they will never know.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

My 2c. Mouth infections can cause serious heart damage. Sounds odd but the oral bacteria from your mouth can travel via the blood stream and infect the heart valves. Your life is yours I would not do what you have chosen. It is very uncomfortable and dangerous. You won't notice the damage to the heart unless you are overweight and do not get enough exercise. In that case you might have issues in the next 6 months.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE] It is not unusual to have a fear of the dentist.   Odontophobia WBZ talk radio 1030 AM,   tonight at 10 pm   subject: How to overcome  fear of going to the doctor and dentist,  maybe you should call in and ask some questions.  617-254-1030   it's free        4/2 Update:  They mentioned hypnosis as an option for some.   If counseling is available to you, you might consider getting some.       Again,  I've heard good things about Tufts DentalSchool           http://dental.tufts.edu/
    Posted by Robin39[/QUOTE]

I don't have a fear about medicine; doctors or dentists. 
    My concern is not getting exactly what I want but being pressured into things I don't want to do.  

Medical professionals know full well how manipulative they can be. 
    The best card they can play is " the death card ". 
    Do what we say, when we say it or you'll die. 

I can understand that if something happens to people; those that person leaves behind are left to mourn and often times it comes in the form of lawsuits. This is how preventative medicine was contrived.

It's not so much preventing someone eventually dying from something that could have been caught early.  It's preventing a lawsuit based on negligence or malpractice or both. 

I personally can make the choice to live my life the way I want free from having to be like other people who are literally chained to doctors and hospitals for their peace of mind. 

But if I happen to die; I don't have a say in telling my family to leave the medical community alone for them not pushing me into somekind of medical care that could have prevented whatever would happen. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hiflyer. Show hiflyer's posts

This guy is trolling you people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

That thought did cross my mind, although it's not unusual for an otherwise intelligent person to avoid the dentist,  so maybe someone benefited from the advice we gave.  I was just responding to a human being that I assumed was in pain and possibly needed encouragement to get treatment.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from junglerunner. Show junglerunner's posts

Please, Please keep taking 24 asprin a day. I heard that if you take 30 a day your teeth will start to heal themselves. Better take 40 just to be safe...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache. : I don't have a fear about medicine; doctors or dentists.  My concern is not getting exactly what I want but being pressured into things I don't want to do.   Medical professionals know full well how manipulative they can be.  The best card they can play is " the death card ".  Do what we say, when we say it or you'll die.  I can understand that if something happens to people; those that person leaves behind are left to mourn and often times it comes in the form of lawsuits. This is how  preventative medicine  was contrived. It's not so much preventing someone eventually dying from something that could have been caught early.  It's preventing a lawsuit based on negligence or malpractice or both.  I personally can make the choice to live my life the way I want free from having to be like other people who are literally chained to doctors and hospitals for their peace of mind.  But if I happen to die; I don't have a say in telling my family to leave the medical community alone for them not pushing me into somekind of medical care that could have prevented whatever would happen.     

It is not about fear. Just the statisical probability. Like a lottery bet. You deal with health issues like this and it is a bet against the house. I bet stuff that makes no sense all the time. Just wanted the stake clear to all who would read it. No problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

[QUOTE]But if I happen to die; I don't have a say in telling my family to leave the medical community alone for them not pushing me into somekind of medical care that could have prevented whatever would happen.     

Actually, you do have a say.  You can put it in your will, assuming that you have one.  In the event of your passing (because, let's face it, we are all going to die someday), please don't allow your family to pursue a lawsuit against a doctor/hospital that could potentially negatively impact the care for other people, especially if the health problems that were responsible for said death were caused by your neglect. 

I'm all for "live and let live" but, just like whatdoyouwantnow said, if you end up in the ER, we are all going to have to pay for the bill and that pretty much leaves you wide open for other people's criticism.

Furthermore, if you never go to the doctors, then they do not have the opportunity to "push you" into anything.  Your sentence should be reworded to read as: "But if I happen to die; I don't have a say in telling my family to leave the medical community alone for my own decision to never get checkups or basic medical care that could have prevented whatever would happen."

I wish you the best of luck with your health.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from salemreader. Show salemreader's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I took 24 pills of asprin for a toothache. : I don't have a fear about medicine; doctors or dentists.  My concern is not getting exactly what I want but being pressured into things I don't want to do.   Medical professionals know full well how manipulative they can be.  The best card they can play is " the death card ".  Do what we say, when we say it or you'll die.  I can understand that if something happens to people; those that person leaves behind are left to mourn and often times it comes in the form of lawsuits. This is how  preventative medicine  was contrived. It's not so much preventing someone eventually dying from something that could have been caught early.  It's preventing a lawsuit based on negligence or malpractice or both.  I personally can make the choice to live my life the way I want free from having to be like other people who are literally chained to doctors and hospitals for their peace of mind.  But if I happen to die; I don't have a say in telling my family to leave the medical community alone for them not pushing me into somekind of medical care that could have prevented whatever would happen.     

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Walking in and asking a doctor for a check on one or two things is unlikely.
    The scenario always goes with a battery of tests. If you refuse; you get into an argument and you walk out.

Why won't you let me perform a few simple tests on you?  You could have more serious complications going on? 

Because #1  I don't want to #2 I can't afford it #3 I'm not interested in signing up for some lamebrain government run healthcare program. 

That's reason enough.

I tend to liken it to college.  More people would go to college and have a satisfactory experience if they only took the college courses that interested them instead of a battery of other classes that don't but are required for the necessary college credits for a diploma.

Finding a college that allows a student to learn at their own pace is as dubious as finding a doctor that'll only examine what you ask them to.

Having said that; it's my belief that for people on low-grade government run healthcare get ( an abundance of )  second rate bad medical help. The last time I went to get teeth pulled. I had to listen to a student get beraded by his professor, complain to his fellow classmates and wimper about it before after he pulled my tooth.

Awkward moments are never a good thing; especially when you're the one sitting in the chair.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Writer..okay..now you are just talking in nonsensical circles. The scenario you described is not something that is played out in doctor's offices across the country.

Sections
Shortcuts