Is weather reporting too sensational?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1159153. Show user_1159153's posts

In the winter TV news reports start hyping snowstorms days in advance. And now that we're in the midst of a heat wave, there are news reports warning people to stay indoors, drink plenty of water, and to rest if you start feeling dizzy.

Isn't this all pretty obvious? It snows in the winter and it starts getting hot in June. What do you make of these reports?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsample. Show samsample's posts

No, they're not obvious at all.  Your own front page has several stories about weather related fatalities.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/06/09/heats_toll_3_drown_1_killed_by_lightning

for one.

What's objectionable is the end-times hysteria that accompanies it by all the tv weathercritters. Since all the tv stations have fired everyone with any sense of proportion or relevance, we're now stuck with perfectly quaffed mouth flappers who have no idea what they're talking about except that the telePromptR says "remove glasses, look concerned".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunkosquad. Show bunkosquad's posts

It's cheaper and quicker than doing actual reporting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from infoferret. Show infoferret's posts

All the talk about heat, and even the Boston Globe lacks the slightest set of warnings about AIR POLLUTION on these hot days.

Sometimes the pollution is high when it is hot, and sometimes not, but the combined effect of heat, ozone, and particulates can be very bad indeed.

This leads some people to think they can handle the heat, when they can't handle the heat and the pollution.  The pollution warnings should be much more clear.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tackhead. Show tackhead's posts

The warnings shouldn't be needed, but maybe they are. The average American adult spends only a few minutes of every day outdoors, so they aren't used to thinking of weather as something that affects them. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcdermott451. Show mcdermott451's posts

The pinks hats that you loathe pay the bills at Fenway. They enjoy the ballpark and the atmosphere and maybe the game is secondary or irrelevant to them. So what? It's entertainment. Nothing more.

The fact that the lead story on all newscasts is the weather means there's a lot of morons out there who don't realize the potential for a heat wave in June.

I was at Fenway on Saturday and of course people drank too much.  Pinkhats are there just to get drunk and be seen anyway.  They don't care about the game, they need a good buzz for after the game when they go to Tequila Rain or Game On. [/Quote]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newenglanddad. Show Newenglanddad's posts

Weather is nature's way of sorting out those with common sense and those without it. Media of all kinds is for those who want to be told what to do and think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhouston. Show mhouston's posts

Reminders are necessary.  Hysteria regarding the reminders is obnoxious.  'nuff said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

First off, this is why people watch the news shows; to find out what is happening locally regarding news, weather and sports. Believe it or not, there are a lot of companies that do not allow employees to sit on boston.com all day long.
    I agree with the poster about the air quality issues. A little more information about air quality versus air temp. would be appreciated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from angelspice. Show angelspice's posts

These weather reminders are sadly needed.  It's just the same as the caution: contents may be hot on your Dunkies coffee cup. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

The bigger issue is how erroneous and or overly exaggerated many of the weather reports are in New England. I refer to winter forecasts as Weathering Hypes.  The mere threat of 3-6 inches of snow sends local TV stations into all day marathons, pre-empting regular programs while field reporters are on camera with the drama of a ruler stuck into ...OH MY GOD.... 4 inches  of snow...in  January!!!    The helpful reports are for extreme wind chill or extreme heat such as we are experiencing now. We are lucky enough in New England to not have tornadoes, and hurricanes have ben missing the east coast so I do not see the need to create panic if not necessary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from n0th1ng. Show n0th1ng's posts

When people stop dying of heatstroke  we can dispense with the weather alerts. Until then...carry on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

Totally unnecessary. We survived fine without them. Those that don't... Oh well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from satnavsys. Show satnavsys's posts

Necessary!  I can't imagine how did people survive for millions of years without warnings that it's hot outside.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

"Isn't this all pretty obvious? It snows in the winter and it starts getting hot in June. What do you make of these reports?"

You'd like to think so, but the idiocy of the masses can be astounding sometimes. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]The warnings shouldn't be needed, but maybe they are. The average American adult spends only a few minutes of every day outdoors, so they aren't used to thinking of weather as something that affects them. [/Quote]

If some thirty-something treats a 105 degree day like is 65 with a cool wind, they deserve everything they get.  They shouldn't need the news to remind them to drink 8 cups a day and more on hot days.  Every summer some post-puberty dunderhead walks out on a 100 degree day and doesn't bother to put on any protection and/or falls asleep under the sun. 

Deserves everything they get. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]Reminders are necessary.  Hysteria regarding the reminders is obnoxious.  'nuff said.[/Quote]

Exactly.  Problem is that the hysteria is created by the channels themselves so you stay tuned.  Instead of putting in news reporters that have skills outside of reading telepromters and knocking on doors, they need to scare you into watching.

My rule of thumb:  If the story is THAT important or THAT devestating, I would have heard it on the radio, read it on the net or had my pre-news shows interrupted before the "typical" news time.  If none of that has happened, it isn't that important.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]These weather reminders are sadly needed.  It's just the same as the caution: contents may be hot on your Dunkies coffee cup. [/Quote]

No, the reminder on the D&D cup is there because some idiot sued McDonalds because they gave him hot coffee and he burnt himself.

Weather reminders are for the people that NEED a reminder that when you order hot coffee, it might actually be hot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjcronin1. Show mjcronin1's posts

The only weather story that should be front page or lead off is a natural disaster.  WMUR is a pathetic example of weather sensationalism; ironically their forecasts are rarely accurate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from angelspice. Show angelspice's posts

Thank you for reitterating exactly what I said. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]Thank you for reitterating exactly what I said. [/Quote]

True true.  I forgot to emphasis (and thanks to the new format still can't edit) that these warnings are new and a creation due to some guy that probably has tried to sue the sun when he got a sunburn. I wanted to edit it after I put it up...this damn new format.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

The weather is just one aspect of news which is hyped.   Crime and violence are also sensationalized, at the expense of any real news.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

[Quote]No, the reminder on the D&D cup is there because some idiot sued McDonalds because they gave him hot coffee and he burnt himself.[/Quote]

The woman actually made millions from lawsuit. Hardly stupid. The real idiot was the judge who didn't throw the case right away

Weather talk means slow news day. They have to report on something

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogamatt. Show yogamatt's posts

Welcome to  the  21st century.  It is ridiculous the way the media (especially the local media, although I suspect, it's not just a New England  phenomenon) hypes the weather  these days.

Back in the day, which for me, means the 70's and 80's, we used to just have  snow storms and hot days.  If we got a foot of snow, sure it was annoying and maybe schools would be closed but  it wasn't headline news.   And you certainly didn't need to worry about  supermarkets  running out of food.   I swear that Shaws, Whole Foods,  Demoulas' and all the other  grocery stores are behind this bs  cause they sure make out like bandits whenever  more than 2 inches of snow are predicted.

Anyone who needs  the nightly  news to remind them  to  buy rock  salt or suntan lotion or  whatever  household items you need for perfectly normal New England weather is  an idiot  or  a recent  transplant.   If  there 's a  threat of  severe weather,  such as a hurricane let's say, that's a different story.

Sections
Shortcuts