Judge approves surgrery for murderer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Judge approves surgrery for murderer

Not a good thing.  Why should we, the taxpayers, pay for this guy to change his sex?  I think we should all be able now to get surgery for cosmetics if we have to pay for this convicted idiot.  Where do you put him after surgery? in the women's prison??   ridiculous!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Re: Judge approves surgrery for murderer

This judge, Judge Mark Wolf, was nominated to the court by then President Ronald Reagan. He was subsequently confirmed by a Republican Senate, led by Bob Dole. If you have a question about how your tax dollars are spent, perhaps you should start with your republican leadership.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

What game? You wanted to communicate a preference for how your tax dollars were spent. I gave you a starting point.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yes, but I have known of patients that were denied the operation due to psychiatric issues, I thought you had to be psychiatrically stable?  They said on the news he's made several suicide attempts.    It will get held up with appeals for a long time anyway (I imagine).
    No matter what operations he gets, his DNA will remain male.  Nothing can change that.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.universalhub.com/2012/judge-orders-sex-change-surgery-man-who-strangled

The court order,  the comments are interesting too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

error/repeated post

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

You're right...lets hope he gets his due....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Psychology holds that he is suffering from a severe mental illness giving rise to the delusion that he is trapped in the wrong body. 

Knock the psychology down before you complain about the cost. 

The 8th Amd. requires us to treat other severely mentally ill patients, ie, schizophrenics. And there is no "but its  expensive"exception in that amendment.  

He gave up all his rights when he committed and was found guilty of murder.  The end..obviously he's got psychological issues or he wouldn't have killed anyone!  NO excuse...I say NO surgery...or pay for it with his own crap...he can start saving his 17 cents a day and when he has enough go for it, until then, let my money be used for me this time.  HOpefully the inmates will "take care" of him...and yes he's a HIM.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Psychology holds that he is suffering from a severe mental illness giving rise to the delusion that he is trapped in the wrong body. 

Knock the psychology down before you complain about the cost. 

The 8th Amd. requires us to treat other severely mentally ill patients, ie, schizophrenics. And there is no "but its  expensive"exception in that amendment.  

He gave up all his rights when he committed and was found guilty of murder.  The end..obviously he's got psychological issues or he wouldn't have killed anyone!  NO excuse...I say NO surgery...or pay for it with his own crap...he can start saving his 17 cents a day and when he has enough go for it, until then, let my money be used for me this time.  HOpefully the inmates will "take care" of him...and yes he's a HIM.

If his psych probs are so severe he needs a sex changed, he should have tried an affirmative defense.  He didn't

[/QUOTE]

Even if he tried an affirmative defense - he gave up all rights when he committed and was found guilty of murder.  Again, hopefully, the other inmates will "take care" of him. yes HIM. I noticed some of the media calling him "her" - well he is isn't "her" he's HIM! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Now he's written a book!   Must be wonderful to have the time to do that.  People think prison is punishment and for many it is, they find the conditions unbearable.  However,  there are some individuals that adjust to the environment and thrive.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In prison they have access to the library, computers, educational advancements, legal guidance, the internet, including dating sites.  All kinds of support, often unavailable to regular working slobs.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

This story is beyond belief.  The victims family should get any profit HE receives from the book. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Judge: Transsexual inmate should recoup legal fees

BostonHerald.com

By Laurel J. Sweet
    Monday, September 17, 2012 - Updated 7 hours ago

Award-winning court and crime reporter Laurel J. Sweethas been featured in the ABC miniseries "Boston 24/7" and the 9-11 documentary motion picture "Looking For My Brother."     Taxpayers already are on the hook for a transsexual wife killers sex-change operation, and now the federal judge who stuck them with that tab said in a rare weekend decision yesterday that Michelle Lynne Kosilek also is entitled to be reimbursed by the state for years of legal bills.

The bottom line is likely to be large, according to the memorandum issued yesterday by U.S. District Court Chief Judge Mark L. Wolf. The amount could be disclosed as soon as Thursday  the deadline Wolf has set for Kosileks legal team to submit a suggested bill to the court.

Wolf is urging lawyers for both sides to meet and try and reach a resolution that will avoid additional litigation and costs fighting his order.

Kosilek has prevailed on his claim that (the Department of Correction) has violated his Eighth Amendment rights (against cruel and unusual punishment) and is continuing to do so, Wolf wrote. Therefore, he is eligible to be awarded his reasonable attorneys fees and costs.

Attempts to reach an attorney for Kosilek yesterday were unsuccessful.

Diane Wiffin, spokeswoman for the state Department of Correction, told the Herald, We cant comment. We have to review the decision.

Wolf yesterday put the DOC on notice that it has until Oct. 9 to let the court know whether it intends to appeal his 128-page Sept. 4 decision that Kosilek suffers from gender identity disorder and is a man who truly believes that he is a female cruelly trapped in a male body.

Kosilek, 63, formerly of Mansfield, was born Robert Kosilek. He legally changed his name to Michelle Lynne Kosilek nearly 20 years ago and is living and dressing as a woman at the all-male MCI-Norfolk state prison, where he is serving life for the 1990 strangulation of his 36-year-old wife, Cheryl Kosilek. Hormone treatments have enabled him to develop breasts.

Kosilek has survived two suicide attempts and has threatened to castrate himself over his gender distress, according to Wolf, who ruled that sex-reassignment surgery was the only remedy for Kosileks serious medical need.

It was not immediately clear how far back Kosileks lawyers are eligible to recover costs and fees. He has been suing the DOC for surgery since 2000.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jem5's comment:

He gave up all his rights when he committed and was found guilty of murder

Well, no he didn't. Not unless you have the authority to overrule hundreds of cases from the United States Supreme Court describing what rights people convicted of murder retain.

[/QUOTE]

From the legal law library...:

Rights of Citizenship

Convicted offenders are deprived of many of their Civil Rights, both during and after their period of incarceration. A majority of states deprive citizens of the right to vote in all state and federal elections upon conviction of a felony. Even in jurisdictions where offenders can vote after release, they ordinarily cannot obtain an absentee ballot and vote while in prison.

Conviction and incarceration for serious crimes can also lead to the total or partial loss of the right to start a lawsuit not related to imprisonment or to enter into a contract. Correction officials argue that permitting a prisoner the right to carry on business as usual creates an impossible security burden. Most states, however, permit a prisoner to be sued.

The right of a prisoner to inherit property or receive a Pension can be affected by various state laws. Most of the legal disabilities to which prisoners are subject are upheld because they do not interfere with fundamental Human Rights.

Well - yes, HE did...and HE can have all the psychiatric visits HE wants as far as I'm concerned - let one of those prisoners that got a free college education treat HIM for free. Or let HIM earn his .17 a day or whatever HE gets paid and save for HIS own surgery...loser that HE is...or let HIM use the earning HE gets from HIS stupid E-book to pay for it....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It gets worse.

He's selling a book on the internet.

I will NOT post a link.

His victim's family is apoplectic

[/QUOTE]

AND any money HE earns should be put into savings for HIS stupid surgery....HE doesn't have the right to take from me or anyone else.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Any lawyers out there wanna help me sue for the government to give me my share of his surgery funds back?  

I have the right to say what my taxes are used for and this isn't it.  I didn't get to have a say. I  deserve the right to get help if I need it.  I haven't killed anyone and I could use a hand.  I work hard (three jobs) and get nothing in return.  Took me over a year for the mortgage company to "modify" my loan and they tacked on $20,000 in order for me to do it....what is that?  Because I pay my bills I get screwed.  Because I work hard I get screwed.  Maybe I'll commit a crime that requires four years and get a college education for free while I'm getting three squares and a bed for four years...wt h e double hockey sticks.  HE doesn't deserve anything from me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

It's elective surgery!   Medically speaking he won't die if he doesn't have it, it's not like he has cancer or something. Many transgenders live and dress as the opposite sex and for a variety of reasons never have the surgery to complete the process.   What makes the psychiatrists think he won't still be suicidal after the surgery?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BostonHerald.com

By Laurel J. Sweet
    Monday, September 17, 2012 - Updated 7 hours ago

Award-winning court and crime reporter Laurel J. Sweethas been featured in the ABC miniseries "Boston 24/7" and the 9-11 documentary motion picture "Looking For My Brother."     Taxpayers already are on the hook for a transsexual wife killer’s sex-change operation, and now the federal judge who stuck them with that tab said in a rare weekend decision yesterday that Michelle Lynne Kosilek also is entitled to be reimbursed by the state for years of legal bills.

The bottom line “is likely to be large,” according to the memorandum issued yesterday by U.S. District Court Chief Judge Mark L. Wolf. The amount could be disclosed as soon as Thursday — the deadline Wolf has set for Kosilek’s legal team to submit a suggested bill to the court.

Wolf is urging lawyers for both sides to meet and try and reach a resolution that will avoid additional litigation and costs fighting his order.

“Kosilek has prevailed on his claim that (the Department of Correction) has violated his Eighth Amendment rights (against cruel and unusual punishment) and is continuing to do so,” Wolf wrote. “Therefore, he is eligible to be awarded his reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs.”

Attempts to reach an attorney for Kosilek yesterday were unsuccessful.

Diane Wiffin, spokeswoman for the state Department of Correction, told the Herald, “We can’t comment. We have to review the decision.”

Wolf yesterday put the DOC on notice that it has until Oct. 9 to let the court know whether it intends to appeal his 128-page Sept. 4 decision that Kosilek suffers from gender identity disorder and is “a man who truly believes that he is a female cruelly trapped in a male body.”

Kosilek, 63, formerly of Mansfield, was born Robert Kosilek. He legally changed his name to Michelle Lynne Kosilek nearly 20 years ago and is living and dressing as a woman at the all-male MCI-Norfolk state prison, where he is serving life for the 1990 strangulation of his 36-year-old wife, Cheryl Kosilek. Hormone treatments have enabled him to develop breasts.

Kosilek has survived two suicide attempts and has threatened to castrate himself over his gender distress, according to Wolf, who ruled that sex-reassignment surgery was the only remedy for Kosilek’s “serious medical need.”

It was not immediately clear how far back Kosilek’s lawyers are eligible to recover costs and fees. He has been suing the DOC for surgery since 2000.

[/QUOTE]

He needs to be allowed to follow through with his attempts....