Jungle boogie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Jungle boogie

So, is describing someone's behavior as acting like a jungle monkey racist?

How about describing their behavior as acting like a tundra yeti?

I'm just wondering, because I think tundra yeti would be a great screenname, but I wanted to see if anyone would be offended by it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Re: Jungle boogie

It could be racist; it depends on context.  If I blocked your posts because you sign as a "black man in America" and therefore decide your posts are "the raving of a jungle bunny", that's racist.  But if you post something crazy, spouting "kill all the honkies", and I decide your posts are "the raving of a jungle bunny", that is not racist, IMO.  Just sayin'.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Jungle boogie:
    So, is describing someone's behavior as acting like a jungle monkey racist? How about describing their behavior as acting like a tundra yeti? I'm just wondering, because I think tundra yeti would be a great screenname, but I wanted to see if anyone would be offended by it.
    Posted by movingtangent

Ohhh Bammy will be changing his name to Tundra Yeti any day now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDope. Show TheDope's posts

I think what we can look for here is an explanation but not an excuse.  I am not surprised that cops are agitated by the way this recent drama continues to play out.  It is another example of how the people the cops ultimtely report to really do not have a working appreciation of what it is that the cops do.  The initial call at Gates' house indicated 2 men had gone into the house.  The single responind officer finds one, who will not come out to the porch and who acts oddly.  Cops are trained to "think in multiples" and to look at things as if they are not what they seem to be.  It is quite plausible that the responding officer had some concern that the second, unseen man did a push-in and Gates was acting oddly out of anxiety because the guy was still in the house.  Hence the invitation to the porch.  That was not a contest, but a smart move on te part of the cop.  When, shortly after, Gates makes a loud scene in front of the neighbors, he is asking to be arrested.  We ask our cops to maintain civil order.  Hence the crime of "disorderly conduct."  The cop has to patrol this same neighborhood the next day.  If he allows this much disorder right in front of him today, what will he have to deal with tomorrow?  This is analogous to the "Broekn Window Theory."  If it appears that there is not a functioning governing authority, social decay will ensue.  I suspect that, in calm reflection, Gates would agree.  I do beleieve it was Gates who racialized the situation and that the cop had no choice but to arrest him.  The fact that the Cambridge heirarchy threw the arrest out (and the officer under the bus) so quickly ultimately makes officers and the community less safe.  This leads cops to be irritable, to say the least. This whole situation has been governed (no surprise) by political considerations, not considerations of public safety or personal responsibility.  It continues to be trivialized by the media who want to know what kind of beer will be served tonight.  I hope that, ultimately, people will study this event dispassionately so that some lesson can be learned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rookie7. Show rookie7's posts

So, is describing someone's behavior as acting like a jungle monkey racist? How about describing their behavior as acting like a tundra yeti? I'm just wondering, because I think tundra yeti would be a great screenname, but I wanted to see if anyone would be offended by it.
    Posted by movingtangent

Globe story says, "Officer Justin Barrett referred to the black scholar as a “jungle monkey’’ in the letter... Barrett said, “The words were being used to characterize behavior, not describe anyone..." Well, which is it, description of a person or description of a person's behavior? Saying someone jungle monkeyed something (behavior) makes no sense, but calling someone a jungle monkey (person) is all too clear. It's obvious that he is wrong beyond rehabilitation and unfit for duty!

Cop union wants to talk out of both sides of its mouth at its convenience. They often emphasize how policing is dangerous and requires extensive training to properly make split second decisions, and that is true, but they shouldn't turn around and ask "that facts be determined before a rush to judgment is made." The facts are: Barrett admitted he made the statement; the statement makes no sense except as describing a person; and that anyone propounding such an attitude is unfit to hold any public position. Do officers wait until a gunman fires second or third shots before acting, or do they act at first instance? Can I stand in front of the station calling cops jungle monkeys? Barrett's behavior is reprehensible and indefensible, and anyone (cop or other) who wants to get respect has to act respectable.

His statements are prima facie evidence of unfitness, both for racism and for excessive stupidity. Is this the union's perception of how to properly protect and serve? The facts are clear, and the judgment is not rushed, but is timely. Let's wean this parasite from the government teat (both police and national guard incomes) and see how far he progresses in the private sector with his attitude!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

Jungle monkey is a racial slur.  Period.  It doesn't matter how he used it,  he used it. 
    I have responded to a few threads about this incident and that term has never come to my mind.  

As a cop, an agent of the Government, he cannot display any sort of racial bais in any way whatsoever.

I don't care what your opinion about the Gates arrest is, it has sparked a national debate about race relations.  With the Boston area at ground zero this Officer should have known better.   Emailing a racail slur from the Police department's server was just dumb.   This may be a good guy and a good Cop, but he made a foolish mistake.

Considering the current atmosphere, who's going to stand behind him?   The Department and the local politicians with have no choice but to take a giant step back from this one.  It's possible he'll lose his job and then get reinstated later on once things calm down a bit, but I'd say he's going to play the part of the sacraficial lamb at this point in time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

"Jungle Monkey" sure sounds racist to me. He's trying to save his job so he is coming up with whatever reasoning he can, which to me only makes matters worse. I do think he is being made an example out of given the current climate right now, and I have never been in favor of that kind of thing. Losing his livlihood over a comment seems a little harsh. Just because he made a racist comment doesn't mean it affects his ability to do his job correctly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Hi there new poster, "TheDope".  To Paraphrase

I knew dopes. Dopes have been friends of mine. You sir are no dope.

Wellcome to the boards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Posted by movingtangent

Doing it via email is stupid enough for dismissal.  No stupid cops, and this guy is auditioning for Darwin.

And yes, its racist too

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The two situations really have nothing to do with one another, except for timing and proximity.  Do we really need more negative attention drawn to the Hub?

I've always believed that police are required to be held to a higher standard of sensitivity than the general public, which is why Barrett's written opinion is so damning.  It's simply a violation of the public trust - trust which cops (and politicians, btw) have a duty to uphold. 

A true adherent to the public oath would resign immediately and avoid further embarrassment of a hearing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Tips for new cops:

Call in sick as much as you want without being sick.....no problem

Steal from taxpayers with fraudulent workers comp claims....no problem

Juice up on steroids, snort some blow.....no problem

Drink and Drive......no problem

Double charge for construction detail.....no problem

Put in for retirement while filling in for your supervisor.....no problem

Mace, Club, Pistolwhip, or Taze people to your hearts content.....no problem

Use a racist phrase in an email......YOU'RE FIRED !!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

In Response to Re: Jungle boogie:
    "Jungle Monkey" sure sounds racist to me. He's trying to save his job so he is coming up with whatever reasoning he can, which to me only makes matters worse. I do think he is being made an example out of given the current climate right now, and I have never been in favor of that kind of thing. Losing his livlihood over a comment seems a little harsh. Just because he made a racist comment doesn't mean it affects his ability to do his job correctly.
    Posted by lrecliner

Ira, a couple points I'd like clarification on.
    1: The email is surely saved somewhere.  If he's lying about what was said then I think that will backfire.
    2: Why does "jungle monkey" sound racist to you?  Does tundra yeti sound racist?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

I just read the email.  This guy is nuts!  His defense from yesterday is out the window.  He repeated the term 7 times and in much more racially motivated ways than he copped to yesterday.

Nice pun, eh?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RantsRaven. Show RantsRaven's posts

What makes this more incideous is that the officer worked in Dorchester, a mostly black part of Boaton, AND he said if he had been the one who responded to the Gates call, he would have pepper-sprayed him. 

When Blacks say cops use excessive force against them, a false arrest by one cop and the threat of pepper spray by another for an empty break-in investigation can't make the point any more clearly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

In Response to Re: Jungle boogie : Ira, a couple points I'd like clarification on. 1: The email is surely saved somewhere.  If he's lying about what was said then I think that will backfire. 2: Why does "jungle monkey" sound racist to you?  Does tundra yeti sound racist?
    Posted by movingtangent

1) I think it will backfire too. It doesn't sound like he is denying that he used that term, waht he is saying is that he was describing behavior as opposed to describing Gates himself. It gives him an out (albeit a poor one) because you can't really challenge him on his intent.

2) C'mon Tangent, you got to be kidding me. Did you just move here from Greenland? Comapring a black guy to a monkey is racist

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyb. Show tonyb's posts

I googled the phrase "jungle monkey" this is what I got from the 1st Dictionary that show up on Google:

He should have used  the word @ss hole, or Epiliptic or Moron aor anything BUT:

1. jungle monkey 56 up, 11 downlove it hate it

A racist word for a black person. Mostly used by white people who dislike blacks. Another word for N**gger
    Black: Get the f*ck outta the car cracker
    White: Don't tell me what to do you f*cking jungle monkey

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

In Response to Jungle boogie : Ohhh Bammy will be changing his name to Tundra Yeti any day now.
    Posted by Reubenhop

My Friends..

Not likely... but you have inspired me..
    What do you hate more... 

Is Aunt Jemamia a copyrighted name?
    What was that cute fellow in the Little Rascals series... I forget.

You are obsessed...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyb. Show tonyb's posts

Hey Boston Cops.. look who's stupid now hahahaha... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Hey Boston Cops.. look who's stupid now hahahaha... 
    Posted by tonyb

Not stupid enough to think Officer Crowley is a Boston cop!

Boom!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

Read the lunatic for yourself.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dpgo_justin_barrett_full_email_072909_2710399

That goes beyond using a racial slur in your email, that is a hate filled rant which was sent to a globe columnist.  
    That guy is in need of a psych evaluation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Read the lunatic for yourself. http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dpgo_justin_barrett_full_email_072909_2710399 That goes beyond using a racial slur in your email, that is a hate filled rant which was sent to a globe columnist.   That guy is in need of a psych evaluation.
    Posted by Ltown1

Sc3w the psych evaluation.  He's toast.  Idiot should start looking for malls that are hiring

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Malls?  Hiring??

Demo crews, maybe....

Sections
Shortcuts