Keeping out Kids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

Keeping out Kids

I tried to post this a few days ago, but it didn't take.

So, a town has finally admitted that they're trying to discourage families with children with from moving in, because educating those kids is too expensive. They do their best to attract elderly people and businesses, while limiting development to 1- and 2-bedroom units.

Lately, there has been a lot of hand-wringing about families leaving the state. It's bad enough that raising a family costs so much, but now it seems that families just aren't welcome.

What really got me was the one man's statement "If you're a family with two or three kids, you can look at Colonials, you can look at ranches. . .You've got choices." Yes, you can look, but if you can't afford to buy one there's no point in looking.

In 30 years, when many families are gone and many occupants of 55+ housing have moved on, who live in those units? Who will work at the Senior Center? Who will shop downtown?

In 20 years, Massachusetts will be a state for the rich, the poor, the elderly, and students.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Keeping out Kids

What do you mean, Giordana, "in 20 years"? It is that now. In 20 years the poor and non-affluent elderly will have frozen/starved to death.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Keeping out Kids

Great.

Say, while they're at it, why don't they screen new residents for IQ, for the pedigree of their post-secondary education, and for the genetic integrity of their DNA?

Of course, they must also pass the color/religion/ethnicity/not-wearing-light-slacks-after-Thanksgiving tests, too, so their bass-ackwards little stepford community can continue f#$^ing with the rest of us.

Gated, deeded communities are already the rage in the sun belt to keep out the "undesirables". We have them here, too, except the 'gates' are marked with large, white "ENTERING" signs.

Tell Medfield to go med-f#$^ itself....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Keeping out Kids

Not a bad idea. Maybe we should have towns where families are not welcome. No costly schools, no playgrounds, etc.. If you accidentally have a kid, you're out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Keeping out Kids

[Quote]People can be really stupid. Which generation do they think will be supporting them (supposedly) during the older folks' retirement.?

Here I go sounding off on my anti-Americanism:

One of the great things about living in a Mediterrain country is the wonderful way families are treated. Walk into a restaurant with a small child and surrounding patrons smile, pinch the kid's cheeks, etc. Try the same thing in a U.S. restaurant and see the glares you receive. There seems to be an unwritten rules that adults, particularly drunks, can make all the noise they please. But the kids can't make a peep.

In Europe, no one would even suggest banning children from weddings, recently suggested on this column. At a typical gathering, all the generations enjoy each other, and the adults usually wait in turn to hold or gaze at a newborn.

Too many Americans are (well, passage of intestinal gas).

It's also interesting how American cities have what look like file caninets for old people. Everyone in a certain section of town is usually of the same age. These are certainly not all people who need nursing care.

As a former pro-photographer, I used to wander playgrounds looking for cute pictures of children playing with puppies and such. Studies have shown that the most eye-catching photos are children and animals. But now the playgrounds are all deserted, everywhere you look. They look like the aftermath of a nuclear blast. The kids are home playing videos and eating corn chips.

Our future.

Personally, I think anyone who hates kids is a jerk. The same goes for those who hate puppies.[/Quote]

Good post, Antigone. For what it's worth, I don't see your comments as "anti-american", just thoughtful and full of perspective. If more of us viewed our society this way, we might be a little less contented with what we have and a little more frustrated with what we don't have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Keeping out Kids

[Quote]People can be really stupid. Which generation do they think will be supporting them (supposedly) during the older folks' retirement.?

Here I go sounding off on my anti-Americanism:

One of the great things about living in a Mediterrain country is the wonderful way families are treated. Walk into a restaurant with a small child and surrounding patrons smile, pinch the kid's cheeks, etc. Try the same thing in a U.S. restaurant and see the glares you receive. There seems to be an unwritten rules that adults, particularly drunks, can make all the noise they please. But the kids can't make a peep.

In Europe, no one would even suggest banning children from weddings, recently suggested on this column. At a typical gathering, all the generations enjoy each other, and the adults usually wait in turn to hold or gaze at a newborn.

Too many Americans are (well, passage of intestinal gas).

It's also interesting how American cities have what look like file caninets for old people. Everyone in a certain section of town is usually of the same age. These are certainly not all people who need nursing care.

As a former pro-photographer, I used to wander playgrounds looking for cute pictures of children playing with puppies and such. Studies have shown that the most eye-catching photos are children and animals. But now the playgrounds are all deserted, everywhere you look. They look like the aftermath of a nuclear blast. The kids are home playing videos and eating corn chips.

Our future.

Personally, I think anyone who hates kids is a jerk. The same goes for those who hate puppies.[/Quote]

I never been to any of your balleyhooed, utopian, mediterranean countries, but I have plenty of experience here in the good ole USA. We have a toddler whom we take to restaurants and have received nothing but smiles from the staff and other patrons. I don't know where you are getting your info from, but it can't be from any personal experience.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

Keeping out Kids

[Quote]
    [/Quote]

I have two kids and wherever I take them I never see the reaction you described. I do, however, try to teach then on how to behave in public. Screaming kids can be pretty annoying
    The reason Europeans take their kids everywhere because they can’t leave them home. They don’t have money to spend on babysitters, and, unlike Americans, they don’t want to give up on their lives after kids, which I admire. But bringing kids in a restaurant filled with smoke, loud music, and rowdy crowd (I saw it in Spain) is just wrong

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

Keeping out Kids

[Quote]
    Prospective parent(s) should be required to pass tests to determine if they can have children. No pass the test? Abort the kid.
    [/Quote]

LOL!

To make it more politically correct, test first, no pass the test? Neuter the parent. That way we don't offend the pro lifers.....

Sections
Shortcuts