Know any signs that need to be corrected?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Jeff Michael Deck and Benjamin Dougls Herson, the men who traveled around the country this year removing typographical errors from public signs, have been banned from national parks after allegedly vandalizing a public marker at the Grand Canyon.

Since it looks as though the pair will not be making corrections to public signs any time soon, are there any signs in New England with errors that you would like to see corrected?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tackhead. Show tackhead's posts

I can't believe this guy from Somerville traveled "around the country" fixing typos on signs, and yet apparently did nothing to this illiterate embarrassment of a sign found on Mass highways:

TAKE A BREAK
    STAY AWAKE
    FOR SAFETY SAKE

Every time I see one of those I want to destroy it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from djae. Show djae's posts

How about Blackjack table - "Dealer stands on 17's" - I think we can do without the apostrophe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmd123. Show kmd123's posts

The sign at the entrance to Logan Airport says, "Look for your letter, match with your airline." How do you know what letter is yours??!! It should say, "Watch for your airline, match with your letter." This drives me nuts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

A better question would be "Know any signs that don't need to be corrected?" To start, let's try putting them somewhere other than behind trees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KnobEnd. Show KnobEnd's posts

My pet peeve is exit signs. What does 'Exit 1' mean? Only one car can exit? It should say 'This is exit number 1.'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

seems to me that they are vandalizing if they are making corrections/ changes - correct??
    They are getting exactly what they want - public attention.
    They need to cut this nonsense, stop destroying property and work a real job. Contribute to the country like all us taxpayers who will now pay to have the damage they did reversed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celts2008. Show Celts2008's posts

On Beacon Street in Brookline, there are two street signs right next to one another. One says "Marshal St" and the other "Marshall St."

Thank goodness we passed an override so we can fix the sign!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RyaninBrighton. Show RyaninBrighton's posts

At Exeter Country Club in Exeter RI, the sign at the first tee contains two typos:

1. "Time alotted for round: 4 hours 15 minutes"

2. "If you stop at the turn, you will loose your place for the 10th tee"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kate77. Show Kate77's posts

"Hotdogs .99 cents" I have seen this at many gas stations in the Boston area. I would love to try to buy that hotdog for less than a penny. I certainly wouldn't eat it.
    The superfluous apostrophe is EVERYWHERE. I now hate apostrophe's. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheep131. Show sheep131's posts

There is one on Rt 16 west in Medford just past the Meadow Glen Mall that says "RIGHT TURN OLNY"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Darkebe. Show Darkebe's posts

There are 2 that I noticed recently. They are both in Revere. One is on Bay Rd. The sign there has residents spealt wrong - "resedents". The other is on American Legion Highway as you head into Boston just before the new school - the sign has the word construction spealt wrong - "constuction"!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulQ101. Show PaulQ101's posts

These guys are heroes! We need Usage Police!

If, as I think, the quality of the writing is an inverse function of the facility of its production, then in this age of 'texting' the language of Shakespeare and the King James Bible is in serious trouble.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mentionthebisque. Show mentionthebisque's posts

[Quote]"Men banned from national parks after vandalism"

Darn, I was planning on going to Acadia National Park this weekend.[/Quote]

Brilliant!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mentionthebisque. Show mentionthebisque's posts

[Quote]"Hotdogs .99 cents" I have seen this at many gas stations in the Boston area. I would love to try to buy that hotdog for less than a penny. I certainly wouldn't eat it.
    The superfluous apostrophe is EVERYWHERE. I now hate apostrophe's. ;)[/Quote]

Next time you see one, send it to Apostrophe Catastrophes. The url is apostrophecatastrophes.blogspot.com.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianb23. Show brianb23's posts

[Quote]There are 2 that I noticed recently. They are both in Revere. One is on Bay Rd. The sign there has residents spealt wrong - "resedents". The other is on American Legion Highway as you head into Boston just before the new school - the sign has the word construction spealt wrong - "constuction"![/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianb23. Show brianb23's posts

[Quote]There are 2 that I noticed recently. They are both in Revere. One is on Bay Rd. The sign there has residents spealt wrong - "resedents". The other is on American Legion Highway as you head into Boston just before the new school - the sign has the word construction spealt wrong - "constuction"![/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianb23. Show brianb23's posts

spealt ? huh ?

It's spelled wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgboston45. Show mgboston45's posts

On the front of Boston.com, the title of an article says "Whiffle" but throughout the article it says "Wiffle"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrammarGod. Show GrammarGod's posts

There's a sign on near where Western Avenue the onramp to Storrow that says NO TRUCKS OR BUSSES.

It kills me (also because buss happens to mean kiss, so apparently there are no trucks or kissing on Western Ave.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

SPEALT? The correct word is SPELLED. Unless I am missing a joke on your part in which case I apologize. .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

[Quote]These guys are heroes! We need Usage Police!

If, as I think, the quality of the writing is an inverse function of the facility of its production, then in this age of 'texting' the language of Shakespeare and the King James Bible is in serious trouble.[/Quote]

Shakespeare would not agree with you. Language is meant to be colorful and anybody who goes around correcting tiny mistakes is destroying something beautiful.

As Winston Churchill said to somebody who corrected his grammar "That's the type of arrant nonsense up with which I shall not put!" And, yes, I am spelling "arrant" correctly. Look it up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from italiangerry. Show italiangerry's posts

During the summer it gets tiresome to see places selling "ice" coffee or "ice" tea instead of iced coffee or iced tea.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from QuesoDip. Show QuesoDip's posts

HA HA HAAAA!!! "Spealt"

Please tell me that was a joke?

Sections
Shortcuts