Know any signs that need to be corrected?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from only-me. Show only-me's posts

[Quote]I see typos everywhere and it drives me nuts. I see them in television ads, company email. It's emabarassing. There, they're and their are the worst ones. Do people not read what they write anymore? Or is it the result of texting and instant messaging that has caused people to become grammatically illiterate? Or are people just too lazy to take a second to try to figure out which is the proper word to use? I don't think these guys were trying to draw attention to themselves, but to the nation-wide problem of carelessness and grammatical errors.[/Quote]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from only-me. Show only-me's posts

[Quote]I see typos everywhere and it drives me nuts. I see them in television ads, company email. It's **emabarassing. There, they're and their are the worst ones. Do people not read what they write anymore? Or is it the result of texting and instant messaging that has caused people to become grammatically illiterate? Or are people just too lazy to take a second to try to figure out which is the proper word to use? I don't think these guys were trying to draw attention to themselves, but to the nation-wide problem of carelessness and grammatical errors.[/Quote] i'd say that's pretty embarrassing**

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

They should have a sign at Logan Airport that reads.............

"If you wearing a turbin, We don't let you in"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

they should also have a chair under a sign that says

"check your weight"

and if they don't fit in the chair, they have to buy 2 tickets to fly...

"how many to buy, before you fly"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EHM1. Show EHM1's posts

Some of you will be amused by the below sites, others could benefit from them:
    http://www.juvalamu.com/qmarks/
    http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mentionthebisque. Show mentionthebisque's posts

[Quote]What drives me crazy is these are not "typos!" Does anybody know correct grammar and punctuation anymore? Let's start with the first sentence of the article: why is there a comma after "Mass.," when the subject of the sentence is "a man...Mass. and his friend" ...shall I diagram it for you? NO COMMA, please! And what's with the overuse of "that" instead of "who" or "which" in so many published journalistic articles these days? Good for you: no erroneous use of "that" in your article.[/Quote]

The comma after "Mass." is actually correct. See this link: http://www.cmu.edu/styleguide/punctuation.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gillie421. Show gillie421's posts

[Quote]There are 2 that I noticed recently. They are both in Revere. One is on Bay Rd. The sign there has residents spealt wrong - "resedents". The other is on American Legion Highway as you head into Boston just before the new school - the sign has the word construction spealt wrong - "constuction"![/Quote]

What does "spealt" mean?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from practo. Show practo's posts

[Quote]

What does "spealt" mean?[/Quote]

Although the word "spealt" is wrong, "spelt" is considered a correct past participle of "spell".

(Does everyone just know that and now I look like an idiot for stating the obvious?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from drockboston. Show drockboston's posts

in the south end, Berkeley Street is spelled two ways. One sign reads Berkeley, the other across the street reads Berkley. I think it's at the junction of Tremont Street. Stoopid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperStitous. Show SuperStitous's posts

I think these guys are GREAT! It is one thing to speak with sloppiness; it is another to write with it. It is a conspicuous sign (pun intended) of our low national intellect to use bad grammar, punctuation, and spelling on a street sign, business ad, or otherwise public marker. What is equally disturbing, but not as "in your face" is the inability of the average American to calculate 10% of a value, or point to Massachusetts on a map.

To bstn1234 I would say that correcting the spelling on a sign that children will read is a good thing...and the real waste of money was making the mistake in the first place. These guys are teaching English for free.

If you want to see some misplaced apostrophes, read the TSA information sign next time you're waiting to go through airport security...at least they finally corrected the 3 ounce WEIGHT vs. VOLUME mistake...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

[Quote]Funny, she doesn't look Jewish[/Quote]

lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Spelt is an ancient grain similar to wheat flour, not a past participle of spelled.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

[Quote]Please take that *&^(*&%^* Obscene sign off of LADY LIBERTY.

NO ONE WANTS YOUR TIRED, OR POOR, UNWANTED,

SEND THEM TO ISRAEL, THE PEOPLE WHO PUT THE SIGN ON LADY LIBERTY.[/Quote]

Um...the statue was a gift from France but so nice of you to join the ignorant masses who blame the Jews for everything. Go crawl back in your cave.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Right. Lady Liberty's plaque is actually supposed to say "Send us your wealthy, your attractive, and your loose women."

Sections
Shortcuts