Lack of Greenbush riders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

The Greenbush line has yet to catch on with commuters, mainly drawing former commuter boat riders, rather than reducing drivers. Why do you think the line is having trouble attracting drivers? Have you ridden the Greenbush line? How have you found it? How did you commute before? Do you think the MBTA has to do more to attract commuters to the line?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

I'd rather sit in traffic in my own car than ride mass trasportation with mentally unstable people who smell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugmen0t. Show bugmen0t's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Mass transit is inconvenient. Let me know when it's not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghamann. Show ghamann's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

I'd rather sit in traffic in my own car than ride mass trasportation with mentally unstable people who smell.You're wrong.� The Commuter Rail is different.� In the past I've taken the bus and subway to work and now I take the commuter rail.� The mentally unstable smelly people are on the buses and some on the subway.� The Commuter Rail�is full of people going to work.� None smell and to date I have not been accosted by anyone asking if I can hear the voices in his head.� Both were regular occassions on the buses and subways.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

As a regular rider of the Commuter Boat I continue to use it over Greenbush for several reasons;1) Schedule is more convenient than Greenbush2) My office is much closer to Rowes Wharf (where the commuter boat comes in) than South Station3) I live roughly 5 minutes from the boat so it's much easier to get to and from the boat heading homeI also agree with one of the boat passengers who says there is definitely much more "camaraderie" on the boat than on the train. I've made many friends riding the commuter boat over the past several years that I've taken it, not just passengers but crewmembers as well.On the flip side, when I've had to take the Old Colony Commuter Rail (Kingston branch), the atmosphere�was so depressing I thought I was on my way to a funeral......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hynespb. Show hynespb's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

so is global warming, pollution and traffic, but hey, us true boston residents will just have to deal eh?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crushed. Show crushed's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

The first comment is representative of a small minority of self absorbed individuals that believe that they are immune to the world around them. The problem with most public transportation in the commonwealth is not where to begin your journey, but how you get to your final destination. That is where the distraction of attracting commuters lies. The system of multiple nodes of exchanges to get to most destinations throughout Boston and Cambridge is where the problem lies. The complex system of trains, subways and buses are forever subject to mechanical and systematical break downs that create an inconsistency that rivals with commuting by automobile. The only way to improve rider-ship on all commuter trains, is to improve the standard of transportation once you leave the train terminal. I have always felt that common transportation should follow common routes. If I saw a mode of transportation going by me on the Southeast Expressway, 93, Mass Pike or Route 1 at a speed far greater than I was sitting in traffic, I'd wish it was me up there looking at the traffic below. Too bad we can't all afford a helicopter with a landing pad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

The Greenbush line has yet to catch on with commuters

Maybe people think "Green Bush" is an oxymoron.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natural. Show natural's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Maybe the MBTA should offer some FREE booze on the train.

Commuters would never get off, and ride the T whole day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from megan. Show megan's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Greenbush was a big waste of money.� Interesting that the article states how much it costs for commuters... how about the difference it costs the state for each rider on the boat vs. on the train?� That's the shocking number.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Given all the resources and rights of way that have gone to Greenbush, it is too bad they� don't have more riders.� Perhaps there was a reason it closed down to begin with?� Like boats, more cars, etc?� Now then, as a Providence line rider (one of the busiest lines), tired of hearing we don't have enough cars because of Greenbush, or that we don't have the signal because of the Greenbush train, could we stop using a line that gets less than 10% of the ridership of Providence or Worcester as an excuse for poor service.� Did they somehow expect to change habits overnight?� That people would flock from all over to take the Greenbush line?� It's about cost and practicallity.� Perhaps this should be a lesson to both the MBCR and Gov. Patrick--stop trying to add more if what you have doesn't work right.� I would by FAR rather see monies invested in new equipment and trained personnel (no pun intended) than in studying where to run a line to Fall River and New Bedford.��� Let's fix what we have, not cause FURTHER problems and delays.�

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

What is really aggravating is that my departure�schedule that I had for the train that I took out of South Boston had to be changed and pushed back�earlier so that I could not make the train from when I finish at work.� I have to take a later one with more people in it than usual becasue of the fact that the new schedule for my train leaves earlier than 5:00PM.� Of course every one else that took the train on the old schedule was missing it as well.� The schedule planning on that part of it was terrible.� They just gave no thought as to how the changes would affect the whole train system that departs for the South Coast and Southern Mass area. The Greenbush schedule was then inserted in at that exact time to service the supposedly more deserving people on the South Shore with the�most perfect departure time.� Of course the line itself has less ridership than all the trains that I have taken to go out of South Boston.The preferential treatment for these people is amazing.��� �

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from janmacyy. Show janmacyy's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

I think the Greenbush Line� was a huge waste of commuter dollars.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

The preferential treatment for these people is amazing.�Come on, don't you know that we're the "Beautiful People"???????�

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesportsfan6013. Show nesportsfan6013's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Maybe it's best that you, the mentally unstable and smelly, drive yourself. Oh wait, maybe that's not a good thing either, mentally unstable behind the wheel of a car! Great, just great!

Loser!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Not surpised by your comment about the "beautiful people".� Typical South Shore attitude.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

I only know one or two people who might benefit from the Fall RIver/New Bedford service on a daily basis, you'd be the third.�� Extending the Attleboro line is a recipie for disaster, because those tracks are owned by Amtrak, so work would have to be cooridinated with Amtrak.� The existing lines are frequently late and often overcrowded.� Also, in at least one spot, new rails would have to be laid on what is now a bike path.� The Stoughton alternative goes through swampland, not a good plan either.� I live in Bristol County, and do feel the state sometimes forgets us, but not as much as they forget anything west of Worcester!� Better bus service or a train that uses existing tracks would be the solution.� I still oppose any of this until they fix what we have now.�

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Thanks, it makes sense to me, but that doesn't mean much.� :)� I agree with the premise of Fall River/New Bedford getting train service, but not with the reality of it.� �

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Amazing how Republicans have only three answers to criticism of Bush:
    � "Yeah, well Bill Clinton had sex in the oval office, then wouldn't admit it"
    � "Yeah, well Al Gore has a big house"
    � "Yeah, well it's all Bill Clinton's fault...somehow...or maybe Hillary's"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Clearly you don't take the commuter rail into South Station, I do.� Some of these suggestions aren't bad.� Greenbush has been used as an excuse for tons of delays, which is preposterous, since they planned it for so long!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

You are too stupid for words.

I'm reminded of a wonderful story:� Once, a young Republican had a front row seat at the circus, when a clown came up to him and said, "Jeez, you must be the ugliest human on the planet."� The young man was crushed, but when he got home he resolved to get revenge, and for the next 20 years he studied the art of the insult all over the world, becoming a tenured professor of insultology at Bob Jones University.� Then when the circus was back in town, he got a front row seat, and sat there with a smirk on his face.� The clown came over and said, "Jeez, not only are you still the ugliest human on the planet, you're fat and balding too."� Upon which the Republican rose to his feet, and as a hush of anticipation fell over the crowd, he shouted, "Screw you, clown!"

Yeah, you guys really come up with some doozies, don't you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skier7303. Show skier7303's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

This is much too small a sample timeframe to judge the success or failure of the Greenbush line.� It's been open since October... give it time, ridership will only increase the longer its around

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmljr. Show jmljr's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

Having grown up in Hingham, I can assure you that it wasn't a select few people that didn't want the train.� There were several town meeting votes in all of the towns along the line and both Hingham and Cohasset voted aginst the train.� And for the record, I'm far from beautiful.� The bottom line is that because a select few POLITICIANS wanted the line restored it was done.� I find it ridiculous that with all of the problems and debt the MBTA has they were able to waste money on a product that consumers didn't want.� During the last MBTA fare increase they told us how much financial trouble they were in and made no mention of spending half a billion dollars on a project that�no one wanted.Looking at the Greenbush in a bubble, with no other maintinence, upkeep, or interest�included it will take more than�40 years to pay off the money they spent using only the fares generated from the line.� And that is using�4300 riders a day, the top of their daily rider projections.� I guestimated on about 1000 riders a day on weekend days, but that is probably pushing it too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dlewistools. Show dlewistools's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

It takes too long, unreliable schedule and is too expensive.� Needs a late train on the weekend.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dlewistools. Show dlewistools's posts

Lack of Greenbush riders

The people voted against it over and over and over.� It was the politicians that put it through.� It's no wonder ridership is low.� Hey, wake up and listen to the people and they wouldn't have made a $1/2 billion dollar mistake.

Sections
Shortcuts