Let’s Keep Talking Nonsense While Sales Tax Heads to 6.25% in MA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

Let’s Keep Talking Nonsense While Sales Tax Heads to 6.25% in MA

Yes yes yes, lets keep taking about how evil Jay Severin is and how the government blew up the World Trace Center (50,000 people keeping that secret). Meanwhile take a look here locally at what is happening! Will you buy anything over $25.00 ever again in MA? Not me - I’m heading a half hour to the NH boarder.  Sorry Massachusetts businesses. Our state government doesn’t really care about you very much. Kind-a like what Barak Obama is planning on doing to the country but in a small special way here locally.

Sales tax hike passes

The state Senate voted last night to increase the sales tax, pushing the tax from 5 percent to 6.25 percent, and to lift the sales tax exemption on alcohol. (Boston Globe)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

Re: Let’s Keep Talking Nonsense While Sales Tax Heads to 6.25% in MA

[QUOTE]Yes yes yes, lets keep taking about how evil Jay Severin is and how the government blew up the World Trace Center (50,000 people keeping that secret). Meanwhile take a look here locally at what is happening! Will you buy anything over $25.00 ever again in MA? Not me - I’m heading a half hour to the NH boarder.  Sorry Massachusetts businesses. Our state government doesn’t really care about you very much. Kind-a like what Barak Obama is planning on doing to the country but in a small special way here locally.   Sales tax hike passes The state Senate voted last night to increase the sales tax, pushing the tax from 5 percent to 6.25 percent, and to lift the sales tax exemption on alcohol. (Boston Globe)
    Posted by Pymus[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the fact that they are going to (if not already) allow cities and towns to raise the hotel/meals taxes from town to town 1-2%.  So they have made it more expensive to:

1. buy things like TVs, computers, cars, boats, RV's etc.
    2. beer, wine, liquor
    3. go out to eat and stay in hotels

Aren't those the things that help stimulate economic growth, or am I over-simplifying here?  Ohhhhhh, that's right, they are doing it for the children and the pooorest folks on state programs, that's it, hmmmmmmmm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

So the sales tax goes to 6.25%, the exemption on alcohol gets removed so that goes up to 6.25% and the meals tax goes up.  Yikes!!!!

All I have to say is.....don't forget that the Rockingham Mall in tax-free Salem, NH (exit1) is surrounded by a Super sized Marshalls, a Home Depot, Bob's Furniture, Target, the Christmas Tree Shops, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy and many many more......please don't forget to stock up on alcoholic beverages at any of NH's many convenient locations, don't forget the fireworks AND please remember to obey local speed laws!!!!

If you prefer RTE 3, the Daniel Webster Highway offers all of the same stores including Jordan's furniture and a lovely jewelry store!!!!!!

Thanks for not raising the income tax!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Idiots.  Tax revenues will decrease.

www.50states.com/flag/image/nunst049.gif" border="0" alt="Detail New Hampshire State Flag " width="256" height="256" />

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Thanks for not raising the income tax!!!!
    -----------------------

Dukakis did that already.  It was "temporary" though.

It WILL happen again, soon

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

This is only one part of the strategy..

Whats the status of the Massachusetts move to collect tax on items purchased in NH? Thought it went to court last week using a tire company as a trial balloon.

No doubt the credit/debit and bank info is there to enforce it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]This is only one part of the strategy.. Whats the status of the Massachusetts move to collect tax on items purchased in NH? Thought it went to court last week using a tire company as a trial balloon. No doubt the credit/debit and bank info is there to enforce it.
    Posted by Ohhhhh-Bammy[/QUOTE]

There is no rational or legal basis on which NH retailers should be forced to enforce MA law.  If so....bring cash so it can't be traced!!!!

All of the NH retail establishments accept cash.....don't forget to stock up on booze and fireworks!!!! 

Live Free or Die.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

2 for 1 at Atlas Fireworks in NH through June.  For $200 you will leave with an arsenal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]2 for 1 at Atlas Fireworks in NH through June.  For $200 you will leave with an arsenal.
    Posted by 7x4[/QUOTE]

a TAX FREE aresenal!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]Not to mention the fact that they are going to (if not already) allow cities and towns to raise the hotel/meals taxes from town to town 1-2%.  So they have made it more expensive to: 1. buy things like TVs, computers, cars, boats, RV's etc. 2. beer, wine, liquor 3. go out to eat and stay in hotels Aren't those the things that help stimulate economic growth, or am I over-simplifying here? 
    Posted by cookie-rojas[/QUOTE]

Over-simplifying just a bit...those items are luxuries.  Which excuses nothing, of course.  But these local hotel/rest. taxes make slightly more sense by encouraging towns to compete for those (mostly out-of-state) dollars.

Anyway, the statewide increase suxx hard, 'tis true.  Though anyone semi-cognizant would know that this was inevitable, it doesn't make it any easier.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]Yes yes yes, lets keep taking about how evil Jay Severin is and how the government blew up the World Trace Center (50,000 people keeping that secret). Meanwhile take a look here locally at what is happening! Will you buy anything over $25.00 ever again in MA? Not me - I’m heading a half hour to the NH boarder.  Sorry Massachusetts businesses. Our state government doesn’t really care about you very much. Kind-a like what Barak Obama is planning on doing to the country but in a small special way here locally.   Sales tax hike passes The state Senate voted last night to increase the sales tax, pushing the tax from 5 percent to 6.25 percent, and to lift the sales tax exemption on alcohol. (Boston Globe)
    Posted by Pymus[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mass.

The pressure is now off the NH legislature for revenue.  Please don't forget to come to the Seacoast; please pay the Hampton Toll, linger at the liquor store and don't forget the fireworks in Seabrook, and head to the Newington Mall Shops and load up.  NH is looking at decriminalizng pot, so look for it soon at the NH Liquors Stores, and as always load up on smokes before you go home.

I think Mass still needs to increase the gas tax the roads are a mess.  Just leave the income tax alone I already pay too much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Over-simplifying just a bit...those items are luxuries.  Which excuses nothing, of course.  But these local hotel/rest. taxes make slightly more sense by encouraging towns to compete for those (mostly out-of-state) dollars. Anyway, the statewide increase suxx hard, 'tis true.  Though anyone semi-cognizant would know that this was inevitable, it doesn't make it any easier.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Next will be clothing, food, increased tax on utilities, cell phone use, cable use, etc. Not really luxuries, I live on the Cape, NH isn't an option for me on a regular basis, it just seems to me that they didn't try very hard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]Next will be clothing, food, increased tax on utilities, cell phone use, cable use, etc. Not really luxuries, I live on the Cape, NH isn't an option for me on a regular basis, it just seems to me that they didn't try very hard.
    Posted by cookie-rojas[/QUOTE]

"Next" is not quite now, so that's pure speculation.

Utilities, cell phone use and cable (such as the latter two are available throughout the granite state) are not taxed in NH?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IamYourDaddy. Show IamYourDaddy's posts

If only the tax loving liberals would check yes on the box to pay the higher income tax rate on their return, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Among all the taxpayers on this liberal land of MA ... they could only fetch a few hundred

Liberals are ruining  our state

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

Click Me!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

I'm all for a blinking tax... no.. the blind are not exempt.
    Why not reverse the tax deduction for dependants and turn it into head tax.

WHICH state will Obama bail out first.. CA, NJ or MA ? Ahhh do citizens of a responsible state pay for the poor management of another state through federal taxes??

Is there no limit to bailouts? I'm glad that it's free money !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgoldberg314. Show mgoldberg314's posts

This is the time to put a little sticky-note up on the refrigerator (the replacement for which we will buy out of state) and remind ourselves that when the next election comes around, every one of our reps and senators who voted for this sales tax increase needs to be voted out of office.  Period.  Just vote for whomever is running against them.  Do not waiver, do not hesitate, do not forget to go vote.....just vote them out. 

As a trained economist, this is one of the dumbest things the state could do right now. As one of my high school teachers used to say, "a monkey could have done better than this".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]This is the time to put a little sticky-note up on the refrigerator (the replacement for which we will buy out of state) and remind ourselves that when the next election comes around, every one of our reps and senators who voted for this sales tax increase needs to be voted out of office.  Period.  Just vote for whomever is running against them.  Do not waiver, do not hesitate, do not forget to go vote.....just vote them out.  As a trained economist, this is one of the dumbest things the state could do right now. As one of my high school teachers used to say, "a monkey could have done better than this".
    Posted by mgoldberg314[/QUOTE]

Nice strategy, except to the chagrin of many here, the alternative will be another so-called "tax and spend Democrat", since there aren't any Republicans in Mass. with any ball$$ whatsoever.

So therefore, going forward I will blame Massachusetts conservatives for every future tax increase, because if they had any sack at all, they would get out there, challenge the incumbents and get the voting public on their side.  Instead, they sit around listening to Severin, Limbaugh, Savage, et al and whine about how bad things sukkk because they have no power.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]Nice strategy, except to the chagrin of many here, the alternative will be another so-called "tax and spend Democrat", since there aren't any Republicans in Mass. with any ball$$ whatsoever. So therefore, going forward I will blame Massachusetts conservatives for every future tax increase, because if they had any sack at all, they would get out there, challenge the incumbents and get the voting public on their side.  Instead, they sit around listening to Severin, Limbaugh, Savage, et al and whine about how bad things sukkk because they have no power.

So you're going to put blame on the minority Republicans versus the majority Dems? You're giving a pass to the Dems...the very people who are proposing the tax increase and blaming the Repubs? Um....ok....sigh

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[QUOTE]I'm all for a blinking tax... no.. the blind are not exempt. Why not reverse the tax deduction for dependants and turn it into head tax. WHICH state will Obama bail out first.. CA, NJ or MA ? Ahhh do citizens of a responsible state pay for the poor management of another state through federal taxes?? Is there no limit to bailouts? I'm glad that it's free money !
    Posted by Ohhhhh-Bammy[/QUOTE]

There is really no comparison between what is happening here and what is happening in CA (I wasn't aware that NJ was having problems as well).

California is seriously, dead broke.  The voters just shot down new taxes that would bale them out, so I agree with you that we shouldn't be responsible for baling them out, nor should we be baled out by anyone else. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]So you're going to put blame on the minority Republicans versus the majority Dems? You're giving a pass to the Dems...the very people who are proposing the tax increase and blaming the Repubs? Um....ok....sigh
    Posted by dexter67[/QUOTE]

Exactly, though I'm not "giving a pass to the Dems" - how can you blame a politician who runs unopposed year after year?  That's like blaming the low tide for smelling like fish.

The Republicans are at fault for not challenging more of the legislative seats currently held by Democrats.  If they could mount any semblance of opposition, then perhaps there could be more debate when these bills come up.  But alas, the Mass. GOP have effectively surrendered their power in the Commonwealth without so much as a whimper.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

[QUOTE]There is really no comparison between what is happening here and what is happening in CA (I wasn't aware that NJ was having problems as well). California is seriously, dead broke.  The voters just shot down new taxes that would bale them out, so I agree with you that we shouldn't be responsible for baling them out, nor should we be baled out by anyone else. 
    Posted by aynrand3[/QUOTE]

I see more than isolated cases here. You are right (save this post) CA is dead broke. What President Obamas response to this situation will set the tone for other states. His approach to failing industries has been to take them over. Allowing states to fail financially is not an option so I can only project that state bailouts are on the drawing board... which raises many questions (and concerns) about states vs. federal rights/regulations.

Surely MA cannot be far behind. The recent hike will only drive buyers out of state and further reduce revenues... while spending is full throttle. Beyond any party politics, this is most alarming!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]Nice strategy, except to the chagrin of many here, the alternative will be another so-called "tax and spend Democrat", since there aren't any Republicans in Mass. with any ball$$ whatsoever. So therefore, going forward I will blame Massachusetts conservatives for every future tax increase, because if they had any sack at all, they would get out there, challenge the incumbents and get the voting public on their side.  Instead, they sit around listening to Severin, Limbaugh, Savage, et al and whine about how bad things sukkk because they have no power.

what a charming way to avoid taking ANY respnsibility for the fact the liberals have been in exclusive control of this state since the civil war.  Blame that which isn't there.  Clever!  Weak, but clever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

[QUOTE]There is really no comparison between what is happening here and what is happening in CA (I wasn't aware that NJ was having problems as well). California is seriously, dead broke.  The voters just shot down new taxes that would bale them out, so I agree with you that we shouldn't be responsible for baling them out, nor should we be baled out by anyone else. 
    Posted by aynrand3[/QUOTE]

NJ is in the toilet.  The voters of CA just shot down new taxes that would have bancrupt the voters! You fool.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

[QUOTE]NJ is in the toilet.  The voters of CA just shot down new taxes that would have bancrupt the voters! You fool.
    Posted by 7x4[/QUOTE]

You can't call my wife a fool !! Only I can !