Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence

The state's Alcohol Beverage Control Commission has just granted an additional 5 liquor licenses to the City of Lawrence. This will bring the total number of liquor licenses to 83. This is especially unacceptable when you take into consideration that not only are many of the crime problems in Lawrence caused by out of towners who frequent these bars, but also that the Lawrence Police Force has been cut significantly, reducing their ability to deal with additional crime and placing an unfair burden on the city.
    Thankfully, Councilor Mark LaPlante is putting a motion in front of the City Council which would basically cap the number of liquor licenses to what they already have..essentially sticking the additional licenses on the back burner.
    The ABCC states that it is within reason in granting Lawrence the additional liquor licenses. The only criteria they go by..? Population.
    In my opinion, if we are going to have a Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission..then they should be acting as better overseers and take more into consideration than population when deciding whether or not to grant licenses. In these situations, there is always more to the story and extenuating circumstances should always be taken into consideration.
    In their action, the ABCC has essentially once again, lowered the quality of life for the residents of Lawrence. As if they didn't have enough obstacles to contend with.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence

I can think of a couple of reasons to take a trip to Lawrence...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

In Response to Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence:
    [QUOTE]The state's Alcohol Beverage Control Commission has just granted an additional 5 liquor licenses to the City of Lawrence. This will bring the total number of liquor licenses to 83. This is especially unacceptable when you take into consideration that not only are many of the crime problems in Lawrence caused by out of towners who frequent these bars, but also that the Lawrence Police Force has been cut significantly, reducing their ability to deal with additional crime and placing an unfair burden on the city. Thankfully, Councilor Mark LaPlante is putting a motion in front of the City Council which would basically cap the number of liquor licenses to what they already have..essentially sticking the additional licenses on the back burner. The ABCC states that it is within reason in granting Lawrence the additional liquor licenses. The only criteria they go by..? Population. In my opinion, if we are going to have a Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission..then they should be acting as better overseers and take more into consideration than population when deciding whether or not to grant licenses. In these situations, there is always more to the story and extenuating circumstances should always be taken into consideration. In their action, the ABCC has essentially once again, lowered the quality of life for the residents of Lawrence. As if they didn't have enough obstacles to contend with.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

It is simple. Crime is not related to alcohol. Crime is related to joblessness. The amount of booze sold will not magically increase due to new vendors. You already have a lot of vendors. I suspect that you can get booze from the other 78 vendors. Without a doubt.
     The folks who want booze have a store near to walking distance. So what really is the beef? 5 more vendors out of 78 already? Give me a break. All the "out of town" trouble makers also have other towns to get booze from. So my suggestion is you talk VERY CLEARLY to your police department. Tell them that they will enforce the LAW RIGHT NOW. That will go farther to address your issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence : It is simple. Crime is not related to alcohol. Crime is related to joblessness. The amount of booze sold will not magically increase due to new vendors. You already have a lot of vendors. I suspect that you can get booze from the other 78 vendors. Without a doubt.  The folks who want booze have a store near to walking distance. So what really is the beef? 5 more vendors out of 78 already? Give me a break. All the "out of town" trouble makers also have other towns to get booze from. So my suggestion is you talk VERY CLEARLY to your police department. Tell them that they will enforce the LAW RIGHT NOW. That will go farther to address your issue.
    Posted by topaz978[/QUOTE]
    Topaz..I don't disagree with anything you say..but the Lawrence Police Dept does not have enough manpower to police the clubs and "restaurants" that exist now..how are they going to have enough to police 5 more? Lawrence during the day and Lawrence after midnight are two completely different places. Most of the arrests are people from out of town who come from as far as NY to party in the clubs. I agree citizens need to speak clearly with the Police Department..but when the mayor of Lawrence is a partner to the club scene, the police department has little control. One of the first things Lantigua did was cut the police department significantly. It doesn't take a rocket scientis to figure out who's bottom line he is trying to protect..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Interesting point Topaz. Wont these 5 new places be employing more staff then if they get licenses? ie more jobs.
    Also, you would imagine bar-fights would lessen if a fixed number of drinkers are now spread over a larger number of places to drink ie fewer drinkers per place? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Lawrence has a hundred thousand thirsty illegals.
    They pay for nothing else so they might as well pay for booze.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kittyduke..what are you basing that statistic on? Not everyone who lives in Lawrence in an illegal immigrant and those are the kind of generalizations that are not productive. The jobs created by adding more nightclubs are not the kind of jobs that are going to add anything meaningful to the quality of life in Lawrence. The fact is..adding more bars and nightclubs to the city will only decrease the quality of life for those who live there now. Anyone who doesn't believe that drunk people don't cause crime needs to follow the Lawrence police log more carefully.

But..I guess in most people's minds..Lawrence in a lost cause anyhow..so who cares..right..?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Making A Bad Situation Worse in Lawrence : Topaz..I don't disagree with anything you say..but the Lawrence Police Dept does not have enough manpower to police the clubs and "restaurants" that exist now..how are they going to have enough to police 5 more? Lawrence during the day and Lawrence after midnight are two completely different places. Most of the arrests are people from out of town who come from as far as NY to party in the clubs. I agree citizens need to speak clearly with the Police Department..but when the mayor of Lawrence is a partner to the club scene, the police department has little control. One of the first things Lantigua did was cut the police department significantly. It doesn't take a rocket scientis to figure out who's bottom line he is trying to protect..
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

Collect signatures for a move against the clubs alcohol licenses. The clubs will be denied renewal if enough citizens state that there are specific issues. Go to ABCC meetings. Call the police at each issue. The police dispatch is required to log this. Keep moving and motivate others. The clubs will understand that they will cleanup or lose their license. The mayor has little to do with this as long as enough citizens of the city are upset. The ABCC does not listen to the mayor. A firm stand by people in the community will fix the issue. You could also look at the situation in the clubs. Be aware of health and fire code violations. Report those as well. Anything. Monitor the parking lots for drunken behavior showing that the club gives too much booze to patrons. Document this and send this info to the health deparment in the city and the ABCC and the police department. Just to have it on record.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Kittyduke..what are you basing that statistic on? Not everyone who lives in Lawrence in an illegal immigrant and those are the kind of generalizations that are not productive. The jobs created by adding more nightclubs are not the kind of jobs that are going to add anything meaningful to the quality of life in Lawrence. The fact is..adding more bars and nightclubs to the city will only decrease the quality of life for those who live there now. Anyone who doesn't believe that drunk people don't cause crime needs to follow the Lawrence police log more carefully.

Take a stroll down South Broadway.. not alone of course and NEVER at night.
    The barber shops with bars and 4 people standing outside are lookouts for the drug dealers. It's blatant.
    Lawrence is a shelter city.
    Lawrence is crooked.
    I agree on the 'type' of jobs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kittyduke...are you basing this on personal observation..? I only ask because your facts are a little off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

This is especially unacceptable when you take into consideration that not only are many of the crime problems in Lawrence caused by out of towners who frequent these bars,

Miscricket, Can I get some of what you are smoking? As a person living near Lawrence, my police blotter is full of "X of Y St. Lawrence Ma" selling drugs, breaking into houses etc. They receive @10X more in state aid than what they pay in taxes. The People of Massachusetts build several state of the art schools there that ANY town would die for. People complain about Newton's new school but the new Lawrence High School put's it to shame AND people OUTSIDE Larry paid the whole bill!

Lawrence is the arm pit of the state and should be taken over by a receiver and cleaned out!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Kittyduke..what are you basing that statistic on? Not everyone who lives in Lawrence in an illegal immigrant and those are the kind of generalizations that are not productive. The jobs created by adding more nightclubs are not the kind of jobs that are going to add anything meaningful to the quality of life in Lawrence. The fact is..adding more bars and nightclubs to the city will only decrease the quality of life for those who live there now. Anyone who doesn't believe that drunk people don't cause crime needs to follow the Lawrence police log more carefully. Take a stroll down South Broadway.. not alone of course and NEVER at night. The barber shops with bars and 4 people standing outside are lookouts for the drug dealers. It's blatant. Lawrence is a shelter city. Lawrence is crooked. I agree on the 'type' of jobs.
    Posted by KittyDuke[/QUOTE]

Okay Kittyduke..fine..I will givepoint out where you went wrong...
    First..I drive down South Broadway several times a day..and more times at night than I can count.  In the approximately one and a half mile stretch from the falls bridge to 495 there is exactly one barbershop, located right next to Sacred Heart. It is never open at night and I have never seen people hanging outside.

There is one 2 block stretch in Lawrence that is probably the toughest area of Lawrence and there are probably 8 barbershops..but my guess is since you have some major facts wrong..you have no clue about the day to day ( or night to night) quality of life in Lawrence and only know what you read in the news.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Folks,
    I do not live there but the issue is are you having problems with specific places and how to make sure that the ABCC and the local and state police deal with those specific places. You whine about the clubs but you do not take action?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Topaz, I know many residents in Lawrence who have tried to take action..who have lodged complaints..the police department has lodged complaints on behalf of the citizens. Sadly, all these concerns fall on deaf ears. The Lawrence licensing committee doesn't want to hear it...the ABCC doesn't want to hear it. The Mayor ( who has a financial interest in many of these clubs) doesn't want to hear it. The government of Lawrence is not only incredibly corrupt, but also completely apathetic when it comes to quality of life issues.
    Case in point, the other night, a riot of 800 people in the street in the Newbury St/Essex St area..multiple arrests a woman attacked and neighboring police departments having to lend a hand. All of this taking place in the vicinity of there the annual Three Saints Italian feast will be held in a couple of weeks. My guess is not too many people are going to venture to the Feast at night...which will cost the organizors and vendors.  It would make me think twice.
    Something..something has to give pretty soon.