Marathon bombing aftermath

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCEditor. Show BDCEditor's posts

Marathon bombing aftermath

The second suspect is in custody and the investigation continues. How are you feeling after this week? Will justice be done? How will the victims of the marathon bombing recover? Talk about the case in this forum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChocolateChip. Show ChocolateChip's posts

Re: Marathon bombing aftermath

I am in my deepest gut, sad. Sad for the bombing victims, sad for those who witnessed the carnage, proud and sad for the responders, sad for the families of the brothers, who I hope had no clue what was to come. Proud of the City and its people.  Grateful to my friends and family who worried about me because I live in the City. There is Hope, there is Love, there is Life.  Grateful for the public safety officials and those who ran back into the frey. Glad it is over. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox191800. Show sox191800's posts

Exhausted.  Drained. Strained. Relieved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MtGirl45. Show MtGirl45's posts

In response to ChocolateChip's comment:

I am in my deepest gut, sad. Sad for the bombing victims, sad for those who witnessed the carnage, proud and sad for the responders, sad for the families of the brothers, who I hope had no clue what was to come. Proud of the City and its people.  Grateful to my friends and family who worried about me because I live in the City. There is Hope, there is Love, there is Life.  Grateful for the public safety officials and those who ran back into the frey. Glad it is over. 

Well-stated!  Couldn't have said it better in any way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from auntiepookie. Show auntiepookie's posts

In response to BDCEditor's comment:

The second suspect is in custody and the investigation continues. How are you feeling after this week? Will justice be done? How will the victims of the marathon bombing recover? Talk about the case in this forum.

Just so, so, sad. I wish I could feel happy or relieved, but all I feel is sad--sad for this poor, misguided child and his dead brother; sad for the victims; sad for those who have a long, challenging recovery ahead of them. This whole situation is just nothing but sad. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheistolerable. Show sheistolerable's posts

So sad. Conscious that we all have evil in us and we all have good. Hoping that the young boy repents and helps law enforcement figure out how to prevent future Bostons. Hoping that Boston has the strength to not meet violence with violence and not to blame any community for this tragedy. Sad for all of us who live in this world, and grateful for the great love from concerned friends and loved ones getting in touch during these painful hours. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from obryant. Show obryant's posts

It would be an awesome gesture to symbolically re-run the marathon, particularly for those that were unable to finish it.  The crowds would be ten times the size I'm sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from obryant. Show obryant's posts

It may be time for the City of Boston to consider turning Copley Square into a walking/no-car plaza similar to Times Square or Downtown Crossing.  The plaza could be dedicated to the victums of the Boston Marathon bombing.  It would be a wonderful way to memorialize everyone effected by this incredibly life changing event.  It would be fairly easy to do if the focus and plaza maybe at minimum from Fairfield Street to Dartmouth Street or at Maximum from Massachusetts Avenue to Dartmouth Street.  I'm sure the businesses will be concerned, but in the long run it would be manageable and better for pedestrians, visitors and even the businesses.  You could still have the marathon and parades travel down it, but the idea is to make it more of a social space.  And it would be easier to secure as well.  In any event a big statemate should be made by the city, state and the country.  -Richard L. O'Bryant, rlobryant@yahoo.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobBos. Show BobBos's posts

I'm freaked out. I lived in Boston for 15 years, but now live in NJ.  I know exactly where all the events described in the news today are happening.  I've never seen anything like it.  I had a trip planned to Boston this weekend, but am reluctantly cancelling it.  I hope things are over, but we can't know for sure.  In any case, I'm so drained by the drama.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3878354. Show user_3878354's posts

I've put together some reflections from my position as a resident of Boston and campus minister here: http://www.reasonsforgod.org/2013/04/bostons-tragedy-some-reflections/

I hope they provide some comfort and perspective as we sort through this together.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogasong44. Show yogasong44's posts

Personally, a very difficult week.  First my mother with a teminal illness reaches a final decision to stop treatment last Sunday and go to a facility to await the end.  The very next day the bombers strike Boston and my spouse is to be near the finish line around that time and I don't hear if she is safe until 7 hours later.  All week the ups downs of the final throes of my mother's illness.  All week the manhunt continues.  My mother dies today at 4 a.m.  The manhunt comes to an end today with 1 suspect killed and the other suspect finally captured.  I am exhausted and in grief.  I pray that the souls of my mother and the victims of the bombers go into the light and on to the glory of God; that the injured have speedy healing of body and mind; and that all of us heal from this terrorizing week with our souls renewed from the support and care we have given one another.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from suemac826. Show suemac826's posts

I have a deeper respect for law enforcement.  I am relived.  I am deeply saddened for the families and freinds that were directly affected.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from k1mgy. Show k1mgy's posts

With family was at finish and me at Mile 22 as volunteer, when first reports indicated "400 killed" and mobile phones not working, the descent of a sinking feeling is a mild way to put it.  Reaching them 20 minutes later found that the call of hunger caused a two blocks detour prior to the bombing.  They were among the lucky, and more fortunate.  But it was close.

The inevitability of further attacks somewhere in the US was understood prior, but considered unlikely here, so this is a surprise.  And, although horrible for us and so tragic, is still mild in severity when considering what London suffered under the IRA, and what various countries continue to suffer under US and British occupation and war, plus the sundry ongoing conflicts where terrorism is a given.  We should consider ourselves fortunate and, I hope, awakened. 

In response we proved ourselves a nation of law and, rather than flailing out and bombing a far-flung land, this attack was handled as it (and the last one) should have been: a criminal act.  Therefore we saw little visible military presence (although patrols overhead were evident), and experienced an astoundingly well-coordinated civilian law enforcement process.  A vetting of this process must occur, as there were several others who fell within the dragnet, and I hope the press, once they are complete in delivering deserved accolades, is on it.  Nonetheless the commitment was there; the civil leadership did not appear to abrogate their care of the community; the police were careful, respectful, and focused.

For these and other things I am made proud to be here in this place at this time and am so thankful.

Now, we must consider how we should respond as a nation.  For the reason that this horrible act was carried out is the Elephant in the room.  It, and all the other acts, spring from a swamp of bitterness and hatred that are fed by the continuation of an unsustainably unjust policy around the world and here at home.  We still have time to change the course and to restore America's place to one that everyone can rightly aspire.  Our community just served to set that standard.  I hope, besides speech making, Obama and the rest of our leaders are now actually listening to the message we sent and will respond in an uncharacteristically different way.

We will either see an exponentially more restrictive clam on our basic human and civil rights - advantageously appropriated by partisans - along with an increase in our militance, or we may experience instead a period of calm and measured thinking, follwed by actions that shift our direction to more positive aims.  Given past history I remain a pessimist.  This tempers my immediate relief.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

These two are of  Chechen ancestry. The FBI was contacted by a country from that region in 2011. The Feds were told that the older brother was an Islamo-facist. The Feds interviewed him when he returned to the US. If I hear the phrase "connect the dots",  I am going to scream.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReformedDem. Show ReformedDem's posts

Relief. Sadness. Gratitude. But no time to "celebrate." Profound gratitude for law enforcement, and for all 1st responders and medical life savers. Magnificent jobs done. U.S. Iraq and Afghan vets' experience and sacrifice among 1st responders saved lives and limbs.
    However, our politicians need to be responsible and clarify to people that this was one battle in a war of Islamic Jihad against civilization. And sober up to the fact that 2 animals did have a metro population  go into in hiding and ruined many lives.

Magnificent response

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ckfitz06. Show ckfitz06's posts

Exhausted, don't feel much safer, worried it'll happen again

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to ckfitz06's comment:

Exhausted, don't feel much safer, worried it'll happen again

Ditto.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebrazz. Show trebrazz's posts

I have a deeper respect for law enforcement.  I am relived.  I am deeply saddened for the families and freinds that were directly affected.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebrazz. Show trebrazz's posts

So sad for all the people who died and all who were injured and their families. So proud of the cooperation of our law enforcement departments. So glad they captured one of the bombers alive. Sure hope he survives. We need answers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrappy6498. Show scrappy6498's posts

my name is sandra

i am from halifax n.s. my deapest sympathy goes out to those who suffer, i think i can speak for all of us here in halifax, boston has always been our friend since the halifax explosion, you have been there for us and i hope we can be there for you.

our love and prayers are with you all each day and i hope that some day you can find some sence of peace in your life. i am so glad that they caught the animal responsible for this horrific crime.

i do think that the media is giving to much attention to this maniac.. the more media coverage the more these people and their cause feels glory..they deserve no glory! they are nothing but scum of the earth.

i would like to see more coverage to those who are important! the victims i know they need their privacy to heal, but do they need anything, how are they doing, are their needs being met and do they have support..i would like to put my attention on those who need it and deserve it and not on the animals who caused this.. i just hope that this evilness will be judged to the full extend of the law.

no sympathy for him! he showed none for others!!!

for the victims may God lift you up cradle you in his mighty arms and give you peace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bcheel71. Show bcheel71's posts

Double-Eagle and grew up in Cohasset....overflowing with admiration for our first-responders, those on the front lines, totally apolitical and forever fearless...where would we be without them??...God continue to bless and protect all of them!...while praying for the continued health and vitality of my older daughter, Dr. Allison Burke, a Board Certified ER physician, in NC.

-The Tom Burke Family, Mobile, AL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3979481. Show user_3979481's posts

I have a deep feeling of sadness and don't understand how anyone can celebrate during this time. I was sickened upon hearing the students celebrate last night.  I still awoke in the middle of the night re-playing the day's news, questioning everything, wondering how/why.. when supposedly it's all over & I shouldn't be "stressed" anymore. I wonder how others who live in violent countries live their day-to-day lives with a state of political unrest.  I'm saddened by all of the people physically challenged by the bombings and pray for their grateness & stand for those w/o limbs to be in the wheelchair race next year.  I'll be running in the marathon next year as a way to honor all affected simply because I can. And lastly I'm grateful for our police who helped keep us safe and do this daily for all of us.  Jana

Sections
Shortcuts