Mass. balks at Arizona licenses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Mass. balks at Arizona licenses

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/09/19/massachusetts_investigates_immigrants_who_obtained_state_drivers_licenses_via_arizona/

Does anyone notice that if someone can't read english in Massachusetts they can't possible know what the signs say on the road? This is a huge cause of accidents here. People need to learn to speak and read english in Massachusetts and in the US PERIOD! I also believe that illegal people should be removed until they get legal, if they can.  Sorry - that's it. The end.  The story above would not allow comment and so I opened this discussion.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Mass. balks at Arizona licenses

You can't deny immigrants anything . . .   at all . . .  ever . . .  and it all has to be free.

Elsewise . . .  you're a racist . . .   or, in the more popular vernacular of the day, a "xenophobe."

That sounds like something that might come from outer space to enslave the earth.

Coming soon to a theater near you:

Attack of the Xenophobes

It's getting harder and harder to have a sense of humor about some of this stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am still confused by the following comment by Pmike..

"
    DT

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d9304c5de124104ac5e03ffb3fb1323a&plckUserId=d9304c5de124104ac5e03ffb3fb1323a">
    First: 1/21/2010
    Last: 9/19/2011
    You can't deny immigrants anything . . .   at all . . .  ever . . .  and it all has to be free.

Elsewise . . .  you're a racist . . .   or, in the more popular vernacular of the day, a "xenophobe.

What does that comment have to do with the issue at hand? First..none of these (legal) immigrants are asking for anything free...second..it's not a race issue and third..Mass is essentially denying these immigrants a license..unless they play by Mass. rules..so really Mass. is doing the right thing here and still you are angry?
    Yes..the languages for sure need to be updated. Personally, I am a bit surprised that AZ..with it's "tough illegal immigrant" policies makes it so easy for people to get a driver's license. I mean..think about it..you have people travelling to AZ from MA for the sole purpose of obtaining a license?hmmm

Finally..is there any concrete evidence that significant numbers of accidents are caused by people for whom English is not a first language? I am sure no one has problems reading and understanding simple words on road signs..taking a written permit test is a different story..and involves a superior command of the English language.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Mass. balks at Arizona licenses:
    [QUOTE]I am still confused by the following comment by Pmike.. " DT   www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d9304c5de124104ac5e03ffb3fb1323a&plckUserId=d9304c5de124104ac5e03ffb3fb1323a " /> p-mike Posts: 3982 First: 1/21/2010 Last: 9/19/2011 You can't deny immigrants anything . . .   at all . . .  ever . . .  and it all has to be free. Elsewise . . .  you're a racist . . .   or, in the more popular vernacular of the day, a "xenophobe.   What does that comment have to do with the issue at hand? First..none of these (legal) immigrants are asking for anything free...second..it's not a race issue and third..Mass is essentially denying these immigrants a license..unless they play by Mass. rules..so really Mass. is doing the right thing here and still you are angry? Yes..the languages for sure need to be updated. Personally, I am a bit surprised that AZ..with it's "tough illegal immigrant" policies makes it so easy for people to get a driver's license. I mean..think about it..you have people travelling to AZ from MA for the sole purpose of obtaining a license?hmmm Finally..is there any concrete evidence that significant numbers of accidents are caused by people for whom English is not a first language? I am sure no one has problems reading and understanding simple words on road signs..taking a written permit test is a different story..and involves a superior command of the English language.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

If you had perspective, instead of an agenda, you would also have a sense of humor.

Sadly . . .

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mass. balks at Arizona licenses : If you had perspective, instead of an agenda, you would also have a sense of humor. Sadly . . .
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    Actually..it is pretty clear you are the one with an agenda. How is your comment funny in any way? How is the assumption that immigrants(legal ones at that) want everything for free? I work with this population..and I understand the sense of pride most legal immigrants have..and the work ethic. What the people in this story did was wrong..but they are not reflective of an entire population of legal immigrants. Sorry..i don't believe for one second that you meant it in humor..I think you got called on your statement..and now you are going to backtrack and say it was a joke. If you meant humor..then don't quit your day job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Why convert?  Why not just drive here with an AZ license?  I've rented cars in AZ with my my license.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

My guess is to work? I think you can only reside for so long in the state before you have to convert your out of state license.( at the very least at license renewal time).

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

I work with this population..and I understand the sense of pride most legal immigrants have..and the work ethic.

KUDOS Sistah !!

It does take a sense of pride and responsibility to sneak into another country looking for a lifetime handout.

Oops.. you said 'legal immigrants'... I rest my case.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

[QUOTE] I work with this population..and I understand the sense of pride most legal immigrants have..and the work ethic. KUDOS Sistah !! It does take a sense of pride and responsibility to sneak into another country looking for a lifetime handout. Oops.. you said 'legal immigrants'... I rest my case.  
    Posted by KittyDuke[/QUOTE]
    How does illegal immigration have anything to do with this topic? The people doing this were in the country legally. They simply found a loophole and now MA wants their road test fee. All this is about is money. Plain and simple.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]I hear Palin did hannity last night.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

....I heard jackbu got a wedgie from his thong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Greg...not totally sure...but I know we question it all the time..if someone came in and presented a MA address and an AZ license it would raise a bit of a red flag and that would be questioned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Also..with regards to Kittyduke..you do know there is a such thing as legal immigrant..yes? Not all immigrants are here illegally. I have friends who came to this country from Taiwan..legally..and they are the hardest working people I know..generous and proud. Are you saying they belong in the category of people looking to live for free..? Just because they are not American born? I hope not because that would make you..well..elitist..and we all know that only the left is elitist..right..?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]I hear Palin did hannity last night.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

....what does Sarah have to do with this thread you moronic idiot

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mass. balks at Arizona licenses : It's a typical refrain that Fox, Rush Limbaugh, Beck, et al. started teaching their following Obama's 2008 victory. Basically, some conservatives seek to protect their political arguments from any criticism by announcing in advance that they will consider any criticism the "race card." That's what he's saying when he complains that he "cannot deny immigrants anything"..."elsewise [he is] a racist."  He's saying the following things, all wrapped into one nonsense snarky puddle of vomit: (1) saying he has an opinion that "denies" immigrants something, (2) pre-emptively accusing anyone who disagrees with that opinion of calling him a racist, and (3) pre-emptively dismissing any criticism of his position, and thereby, protecting himself from the dreadful burden of actually having to consider whether he is right; oh, and (4), all the while avoiding a reasoned explanation of his own position. Ain't it grand? You hadn't even responded to his position, since he didn't really make it known, but whatever you were going to say in response to what he meant to say, you should be condemned for having unfairly called him a racist!!! You see this a lot from BDC conservatives. It's a way to protect themselves from having to evaluate their logic, while simultaneously launching an extremely offensive attack on any critics. They first tell themselves that if their argument is criticized, it is because they are being unfairly called a racist (because, of course, the President is black and a democrat). They then add insult to injury by pre-emptively calling their critics racists, by preemptively accusing them of playing the "race card". You see this a lot in Politics: General. I'm just wondering where they buy their time machines...
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]
    This is a great explanation..thanks. I actually thought it was pretty comical that HE came out with a statment like that and I am the one with an agenda. There is a term for this in Psych101..but it escapes me at the moment.
    I am not sure where they buy their time machines..but I am guessing it is the same place they buy their foil hats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Do we want representatives who got elected by pandering to voters who love this insulting and intellectually dishonest horse sh*t?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I know I don't...I am sure most feel the same way.( at least I sure hope so!)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mass. balks at Arizona licenses : And now it is.  So don't do it.  Drive with the AZ license, and get a Mass ID for beer.  I can tell you first hand they ain't gonna ask you why you want a Mass ID, and not a license.  Proof of residency, birth certificate or green card since they are legal. I'm not condoning it, just saying its a pretty easy work around
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Okay..that's a pretty good scheme you've proposed..and possibly we will see more of this. Funny..I guess this bolsters my theory that most people who break the law aren't very smart. My contention is the really smart ones never get caught. I wonder if that is really true.

24. This post has been removed.