Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH

Except this guy did not go to NH to buy booze.  He made a pit stop and had some time to kill.  If anything blame NH for putting liquor stores next to all the rest areas.  At least in MA alcoholics are free to relieve themselves on our highways.  And what's with putting all the liquor stores on interstates anyway.  What message are they trying to send?  Its illegal to walk or bike to a liquor store in NH.  How's that for irony.  Ah, but they will take Canadian currency, so that's a nice touch.  Real patriotic.  Live free or die or pay Canadian.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH:
    In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : The hypocrisy in what?  Shopping where I want to??  Again, we've been going over the border for decades, so what's the big deal? Weren't you the one exhorting Mass. folks one and all to patronize your state-subsidized, tax free paradise once the Mass. sales tax increase went into effect??
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Yes...you can do whatever you want.  I invite people to spend ALL of their money in NH.  When a State rep who raised YOUR taxes and suddenly added 6.25% tax to liquor to YOUR life and MA, avoids the very tax that HE imposed...you don't see the hypocrisy????

I think he can do whatever he wants...but the very act in his particular case is hypocritical.  You are WAY to smart to not see that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

And as for Mass. folks going over the border to buy it?  The free market at its finest.
    --------------------

Exactly why you can get busted for doing it now.  Free market bad

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Except this guy did not go to NH to buy booze.  He made a pit stop and had some time to kill.  If anything blame NH for putting liquor stores next to all the rest areas.  At least in MA alcoholics are free to relieve themselves on our highways.  And what's with putting all the liquor stores on interstates anyway.  What message are they trying to send?  Its illegal to walk or bike to a liquor store in NH.  How's that for irony.  Ah, but they will take Canadian currency, so that's a nice touch.  Real patriotic.  Live free or die or pay Canadian.
    Posted by movingtarget2

Not any more. Now you can be arrested and put on a sexual offenders list for taking a leak in public.

Hey you DPW guys, take note.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Sales tax, perhaps (though by proxy), but I never argued anything close to what you claim. Nice try.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Matty, read it again, SLOWLY! The rep in question did both (vote for and argued the complaint was moot). If I thought/voted that way I would NEVER buy a case of beer or alcohol in NH, RI etc. It is hypocritical! But then I have scrupples and none of our legislature has any.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Not any more. Now you can be arrested and put on a sexual offenders list for taking a leak in public. Hey you DPW guys, take note.
    Posted by Bill.the.Cat

Although humorous and alarming, your post misses my point that in MA rest areas don't have the requisite packy attached to them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Although humorous and alarming, your post misses my point that in MA rest areas don't have the requisite packy attached to them. 
    Posted by movingtarget2

No, I get it. Just making an alternative point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Of course I prefer to pee outdoors.  Its the way God intended.  And this time of year its the best way to keep the bunnies out of the yard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

The rep in question did both (vote for and argued the complaint was moot)
    -----------------

So moot that they slipped in the bit about arresting your a55 when you cross the line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

its no big deal, its just funny. Especially since it was these people telling us the prospect of Mass buyers going over the border to get booze and smokes was unfounded.  What was he, a mile from a Mass packie? "On Wednesday afternoon, 16 of 33 cars parked outside the northbound state liquor store on Interstate 95 had Massachusetts license plates".
    Posted by GreginMedford

Supposedly, they stopped to use the bathroom and while he was there, bought alcohol (and has reimbursed the state for the tax).  Mass. packies aren't known for their restroom facilities, to be fair.  It is funny though. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Supposedly, they stopped to use the bathroom and while he was there, bought alcohol (and has reimbursed the state for the tax).  Mass. packies aren't known for their restroom facilities, to be fair.  It is funny though. 
    Posted by mhc90

Do you think he would have reimbursed the state for the tax if they didn't have video or a picture of him? I don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Do you think he would have reimbursed the state for the tax if they didn't have video or a picture of him? I don't.
    Posted by brat13

Probably not.  Would he have stopped at the state run liquor store if he or someone in his family hadn't had to use the restroom?

This kind of thing happens all the time.  RI cars stream into the part of the state I live in to save on sales tax. (Though ask someone from RI to come to MA for a visit and they'll act like you have 3 heads, asking them to go ALL the way to Massachusetts!).  This rep was dense enough to drive his car with the plates identfiying him as a state employee on his vacation.  That's how he got caught. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Probably not.  Would he have stopped at the state run liquor store if he or someone in his family hadn't had to use the restroom? This kind of thing happens all the time.  RI cars stream into the part of the state I live in to save on sales tax. (Though ask someone from RI to come to MA for a visit and they'll act like you have 3 heads, asking them to go ALL the way to Massachusetts!).  This rep was dense enough to drive his car with the plates identfiying him as a state employee on his vacation.  That's how he got caught. 
    Posted by mhc90

I think he was well aware of what he was doing. There is signage all over the place for those liquor stores advertising the fact that they are tax free. Like you said, he was caught. There are a lot of other places to stop to use the restroom. I don't classify the purchase of 3 bottles of hooch an impulse buy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Probably not.  Would he have stopped at the state run liquor store if he or someone in his family hadn't had to use the restroom? This kind of thing happens all the time.  RI cars stream into the part of the state I live in to save on sales tax. (Though ask someone from RI to come to MA for a visit and they'll act like you have 3 heads, asking them to go ALL the way to Massachusetts!).  This rep was dense enough to drive his car with the plates identfiying him as a state employee on his vacation.  That's how he got caught. 
    Posted by mhc90

Just speaking for me. I have stopped at that rest area several times and never went into the liquor store. That is on my way home and by then my drinking is done and I have my home stash.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

In Response to Re: Mass Rep buys booze in tax free NH : Just speaking for me. I have stopped at that rest area several times and never went into the liquor store. That is on my way home and by then my drinking is done and I have my home stash.
    Posted by brat13

That's you, not him.  Why do you think the state of NH puts the liquor stores there??  To get more people to stop because it's convenient, that's why.  Let's face it, all buying liquor in NH does is helps NH residents to live without income or sales taxes.  Who do you think gets the revenue from the state-run stores?  That's right!  Sure, he could have kept walking, but like anyone else might, he gave in to temptation. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CCMsGrumpy. Show CCMsGrumpy's posts

First of all, why does he get a taxpayer funded vehicle!!?? Secondly, he is using it for personal trips. I think a review of his personal use should be conducted. give him a 1099! This personal use trumps the tax dollars he saved a hundredfold!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

First of all, why does he get a taxpayer funded vehicle!!?? Secondly, he is using it for personal trips. I think a review of his personal use should be conducted. give him a 1099! This personal use trumps the tax dollars he saved a hundredfold!
    Posted by CCMsGrumpy

I'm all for ending use of state funded vehicles by reps/senators. Also, let's get rid of the per diem nonsense too.  My state senator (Scott Brown, a Republican now running for Ted Kennedy's seat) gets paid over $80k/year for being a state senator, plus thousands in per diem $$ for meeting a few times a week. Some times they meet for 20 minutes and leave!  This perk may have made sense for far flung legislators years ago, but now it's just waste. No one pays me for my transportation to/from Boston! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Much like cops doing the blow they seize.

Sections
Shortcuts