Mass. sees increase in food stamp usage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Sickening.....But its exactly what the liberal politicians in this state want.  A nanny state dependent on social programs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimmyCon. Show JimmyCon's posts

Seems way too easy to get food stamps in MA.  Food stamps should be to help folks out, but I wonder how many are receiving multiple checks, and who on the program doesn't really need to be receiving them, since the process does not call for any monitoring of income??  We need to audit this whole program and find out the real story of the increase.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Is anyone in MA surprised by this?  I think they shouldtake away the  debit card and go back to the actual food stamps soeveryone does know when they are being used.  However, I'm sure some people wouldn't even care!!!  Disgusting!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hix. Show hix's posts

I think it's great that we have programs in place that are available to help those truly in need of financial assistance. I also think it's important that we couple these assistance programs with help/tools to get these people/families out of the situation they're in where they have to rely on public assistance. Yes, I think these are hard times, and I can see that there would be a surge in applications for help, however, I also know that there a too many Americans out there with no pride or sense of self; willing to take whatever they can scam out of other American taxpayer's pockets without a care in the world or notion that these things are temporary and not meant to be a way of life/living. Shamefull is darn right. Disgusting is even better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JILLSY52. Show JILLSY52's posts

I love how I have a family of 4 and my husband and I both work and own a home but yet we struggle check by check and yet I stand in line behind people at the supermarket with their hair all done up nice, nails done, wearing nice clothes that I know I can't afford and yet they stand there paying with Food Stamps... I think all of us hard working citizens need to figure out how they are scamming the govt and join them... Not to mention the fact they receive free childcare while they sit at home and live in public housing while I am paying $300 or more a week... Totally Disgusted!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vailzo. Show vailzo's posts

one party system in this state, until people wake up and realize this, nothing will change.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyt. Show tonyt's posts

Although I think that a toxic mix of factors, such as unequal income and wealth distribution, unfair tax policies and corporate lobbying are what's creating dependence on food stamps, I can sympathize and identify with the prior posters.

I have had the very frustrating experience of being stuck in the supermarket check-out line with my $20 in carefully-selected, on sale, food staples, while, in front of me, two well-dressed, FAT people with a shopping cart filled to the brim with groceries - including a lot of pre-prepared dishes, top cut meats, fruit juices - charged all but $1.75 of the purchase to their food stamps card.  They had to pay cash for the brand name aluminum foil that they needed to wrap up the leftovers ...

The use of food stamps is bad policy, but in order to eliminate them, almost every other aspect of the American economy would need to be re-considered and re-configured.  I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 258401. Show 258401's posts

I thought we were getting away from being a welfare state where all the deadbeats flock to.   I dislike the republicans but with a Democrat Governor and senate these social programs are going to flourish. We need that counterbalance back in place.

I hope this news story doesn’t make national news.  Here they come.

Whets next welfare to the illegal’s

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cujo. Show Cujo's posts

[Quote]one party system in this state, until people wake up and realize this, nothing will change.[/Quote]

Which party is that - the Republicans? Why do you think this state is in such a mess financially. Here's your answer - Weld, Cellucci, Swift.....

The difference between Repubs and Dems is that the former help the rich get richer. Given a choice between a few food stamps going to people who don't need it and Republicans helping their rich friends grab even more money - I will support food stamps anyday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cujo. Show Cujo's posts

[Quote]

I thought we were getting away from being a welfare state where all the deadbeats flock to.   I dislike the republicans but with a Democrat Governor and senate these social programs are going to flourish. We need that counterbalance back in place.

I hope this news story doesn’t make national news.  Here they come.

Whets next welfare to the illegal’s

[/Quote]

Dead beats? Does the fact that food pantries are nearly empty have any impact on you at all? Do you realize how many people have to make a choice between Food and Gas/Oil. Most of the people that I know that have been on foodstamps were working poor and not welfare queens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from katana0182. Show katana0182's posts

Food stamps aren't welfare. They're for those who work, but don't make enough to make ends meet. Consider them food insurance.

And the "ATM" card they give you doesn't give out cash, or pay for anything except for food.

We got rid of having nonworking layabouts on welfare a long time ago. Food stamps are for workers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

The republicans? Why because we've had republican govenors? Govenors are nothing but tokens in this state - until we have something other than ultra-liberal representatives and senators.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

[Quote]Which party is that - the Republicans? Why do you think this state is in such a mess financially. Here's your answer - Weld, Cellucci, Swift.....
    [/Quote]

A Republican governor is just a token politician in this state.  All the elected (and appointed) officals around him/her are hardcore Liberal Democrats who are to blame for the mess this state is in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

What a lot of folks posting here seem to miss is that 10 years ago, Massachusetts had one of the lowest percentages of people using food stamps.  What has changed in the last 10 years?  Let's see--food, fuel and housing prices have skyrocketed, while incomes haven't.  Stop making this a "dump on the evil liberals" thing, and look at it for what it is--a case where costs have exceeded income.  In truth, social services have been cut significantly over the past several years, thanks to "liberals" like Weld, Cellucci, Swift and Romney!

Also remember food stamps are for food only--no toilet paper, no paper towels, no diapers, etc. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moconnor. Show moconnor's posts

[Quote]

Math is hard for liberals.  When I was a kid, Massachusetts had 12 representatives in the US Congress.  Now we have 10.  And yet, the popluation has gone up.  How could that be?

Guess!

The Census Bureau estimated that in July 2007 Massachusetts’s population had increased by an annual average of about 13,790 residents since 2000 (to 6,449,755 residents). Over that period net immigration was adding about 28,280 persons each year (more immigrants arriving than leaving). During the same period there was a net annual average population loss of about 41,875 residents from net domestic migration (more native-born residents leaving than arriving). Net immigrant settlement was, therefore, running counter to the overall net population trend over this period, and that does not take into account the children born to the immigrants after their arrival in the United States.

And the good Governor Dunce wants to continue this trend by extending in state tuition to illegals from anywhere.  They're lining up, and they don't get us more representation in DC!

[/Quote]

Actually, Congressional representation is tied to the entire Nation's population. The entire country is growing. When people your age grew up in Atlanta, Georgia they had fewer reps in Congress than they have now, and they have been growing just like us. That's not liberal math, it's Article 1 of the Constitution.

As for Food Stamp (EBT Card) usage. I'm a proponent of people in need of assistance using every resource made available to them. Living in Boston and working for a Food Salvage program made me realize the people we delivered food to were really in need.

The myth of the Welfare mom living in splendor with Cadillac Escalade and free day care is just that, a myth. Wake up people, not everything in this state is brought on by the Liberal Boogeyman, did Howie Carr tell his listeners to post on this forum this morning?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moconnor. Show moconnor's posts

[Quote]

Also remember food stamps are for food only--no toilet paper, no paper towels, no diapers, etc. [/Quote]

Yes, I meant to mention this also. It limits everything you buy. No Whole Milk, only 2% or lower. No over sugary juice drinks, only realy juice, it limits amount of frozen and pre-prepared food etc. etc.

These may be "nanny" provisions, but it's meant to combat the people here yelling that the EBT user in front of them is walking out of the store with Grey Poupon and Crumpets.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hippydippy. Show hippydippy's posts

I think the Globe/Times should pay some intern to see just how far he can get on the government dime.  Give him/her a year to live as well as he possibly can with handouts from MA and Fed agencies.  Let's get a real look at just what's possible.  The information is out there.  I'd love to know this stuff, you think I can't use some free cheese- I can!  Free diapers would be even better! 

How about it Globe?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traffik1975. Show traffik1975's posts

[Quote]Which party is that - the Republicans? Why do you think this state is in such a mess financially. Here's your answer - Weld, Cellucci, Swift.....

The difference between Repubs and Dems is that the former help the rich get richer. Given a choice between a few food stamps going to people who don't need it and Republicans helping their rich friends grab even more money - I will support food stamps anyday.[/Quote]

AMEN to that!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwp320. Show dwp320's posts

[Quote]What a lot of folks posting here seem to miss is that 10 years ago, Massachusetts had one of the lowest percentages of people using food stamps.  What has changed in the last 10 years?  Let's see--food, fuel and housing prices have skyrocketed, while incomes haven't.  Stop making this a "dump on the evil liberals" thing, and look at it for what it is--a case where costs have exceeded income.  In truth, social services have been cut significantly over the past several years, thanks to "liberals" like Weld, Cellucci, Swift and Romney!

Also remember food stamps are for food only--no toilet paper, no paper towels, no diapers, etc. [/Quote]

Heavens!!!!  Food only?  No public assistance (yet) for paper towels?  And folks still have to pay for their own toilet paper?  The horrors!!!!  I must have missed when we discontinued fuel assistance and housing subsidies and free day care and free health insurance.  Funny, my wife and I both have to work hard to provide those to my family.  Where can I sign up for these freebies???  Heck, we don't even get a "thank you" for providing them for thousands of others.  Instead, it's continued calls from "progressives" for more and more.  What I DO feel real good about is freeing up whatever "income" those who game the system do make to buy their smokes and booze and air jordans for their kids and their cable tv and cell phones.  Yep....great system we have here in Mass.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moconnor. Show moconnor's posts

[Quote]Massachusetts lost a seat in the House of representatives after the 1980 and 1990 census', and I can assure you it had nothing to do with the population of Georgia.[/Quote]

The seats in the house are capped at 435, regardless, so if other states grow faster they get the reps and slower growing states lose them. We are growing too, just not as fast. I merely wanted to point out that it wasn't "Liberals" bringing down our Census #s and Representation in Congress, it's how the system works.

And using my Georgia Example...in 2000 they went from 11 Reps to 13. It's called reapportionment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Census%2C_2000#Reapportionment

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marie1953. Show Marie1953's posts

The difference between Repubs and Dems is that the former help the rich get richer. Given a choice between a few food stamps going to people who don't need it and Republicans helping their rich friends grab even more money - I will support food stamps anyday.[/Quote]

Really?  People like you who support the mother-may-I, nanny state are the reason that people like my husband and I, who work our fannies off day after day to support the total waste and mis-management and by the Dems who are in control regardless of the party of the Governor, are fleeing here in droves.  We will soon join those who have left and will take our contribution to the tax base elsewhere.  The sooner you understand the concept that the government doesn't produce anything - that the government exists on the backs of the taxpayers - the sooner you will understand that when those taxpayers leave so does the $$$ for these asinine programs and earmarks.  Eventually the well runs dry.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mflanner. Show mflanner's posts

Voters do indeed get what they ask for. Using a forum question about foodstamps as a way to vent personal prejudices, which is what many posters here are doing, finds its way into the larger debates about our economy and society. How on earth are we supposed to confront such grave issues as war, terrorism, global warming, etc when there remains a critical mass of people who cannot admit the fact, or even concede the possibility, that the foodstamp program prevents people from going hungry? Or that a kid whose Mom is in front of you in the checkout line will be happier and healthier, and possibly more successful in life, because this program makes it less likely that she will go to bed hungry? Too many important policy questions are greeted with this kind of mudslinging and know-it-all cynicism, just as this encouraging news story has been greeted with the kind of anti-entitlement bile that is barely a sheep’s clothing for racism. And as the middle class turns on the poor, we continue to elect the upper classes to run our government and maintain the systems that create this self-sustaining class antagonism. We do indeed get what we ask for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnsavinhill. Show johnsavinhill's posts

I really don't feel bad for the people on food stamps/EBT, I see them abuse it all the time, they can buy candy, and get cash back and spend that on cigarettes. Then they go back to there section 8 housing to sit on there lazy butts eating candy bars, smoking and drinking pints.  I feel bad for people who work to pay there bills.  They don't appreciate anything, they disrespect the neighborhoods they live in, add to the trash and crime.  The policies in this state and the receipients of the policies should all be run out of town.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[Quote]Yes, I meant to mention this also. It limits everything you buy. No Whole Milk, only 2% or lower. No over sugary juice drinks, only realy juice, it limits amount of frozen and pre-prepared food etc. etc.

These may be "nanny" provisions, but it's meant to combat the people here yelling that the EBT user in front of them is walking out of the store with Grey Poupon and Crumpets.[/Quote]

WIC is like that too--very restricted, as it should be.  It's meant to be a help, not a lifestyle.  What's sad is how many more people need that help.  I went to a fund raiser for a local food pantry on Sunday, and have a decent sized food donation for them tomorrow as well.  Actually, the EBT system is better than the old food stamp system (paper stamps)--anything below a dollar and you had to give change back, so there were people who would buy gum (when it was .50 a pack, that is), using a food stamp dollar, or an apple, something like that, then collect the change and use it to buy cigarettes.  Now that isn't possible. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbit88. Show rabbit88's posts

Time to vote to stop overfeeding our FAT Government.

Please vote YES to eliminating the Massachusetts State Income tax and put average $3600 back in your pocket.

[Quote]I think it's great...I work,and buy bologna at the deli,the women next to me has a full cart, and buys roast beef!!! She receives SSI, I work and probrably make less after taxes,health ins.,rent,utilities,food....I bet I do have less money after all that....sad,very sad[/Quote]