MBTA Commuter Rail problems

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

And last week, 7 of 10 trains I took were at leat 7 or 8 minutes late. (Providence line) Everyone has train problems of late.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amamba11. Show amamba11's posts

The Newburyport/Rockport line has lately had a spate of troubles, all stemming from the rail bridge between Beverly/Salem. Yesterday one train was totally cancelled, but the MBTA did not even bother to tell the platform full of freezing passengers waiting in Salem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Newburyport/Rockport is probably worst for North Shore, South Shore Worcester/Providence trade off a one/two punch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yolker. Show yolker's posts

Better yet...try calling or emailing the Gov's office, I got a response that the Commuter rail is a "quasi" independent state agency that the Gov has NO control over. I replied back that the Gov must at least appoint some folks that sit on the agency/board or hand out the contracts...stilllllllll waiting for that response.

Remember...this is the group that re-upped the current vendor for another 3 years...gotta love those no bid contracts. Wish I could get those.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Providence, Franklin and Needham lines all had that problem yesterday morning, due to a downed wire between Back Bay and South Station.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Given that you don't pay rent, have a job, a car, or a commute, it's tough to take you seriously on this issue. Some of us don't have relatives in the city who let us live with them and give them money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

No you pompous nitwit, I didn't intend to add anything. For good or bad, most of us don't have relatives who let us crash with them and pay us for the privilege. Most of us have to live in one place and work in a bigger city or town. That's called the REAL world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I'd say Worcester and Providence have the worst records overall. Worcester because they share tracks with CSX, who own and control the tracks, and Providence because the tracks are owned and controlled by Amtrak. In the last nearly 12 years, I have heard multiple excuses...signal problems, switching problems, Greenbush, equipment problems, etc. It is poorly run because the MBCR knows there are few if any other companies out there to fill the role. Sad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I wish it were that simple, but since most people buy monthly passes, we've already paid for the trip. The only real solution would be to find another way in, but with the price of gas and parking, I know I couldn't do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Most people want to do something with their lives besides sit in a library computer room all day.� Apparently you aren't one of them.�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Geez, Dozer, what's next--you want a roof over your head??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from k1mgy. Show k1mgy's posts

Shocking, yet refreshing. The Boston Globe let one slip through (or an Editor was asleep at the switch).� For� this little gem of a letter from a Massachusetts taxpayer and commuter made it to print last week.�� Joseph C. Niebdala writes:

�(http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2008/02/08/the_t_is_not_just_broke_its_broken/)

"It is time to dissolve the MBTA and turn over the control of publictransportation to a new administrative entity, where those in chargeare held more accountable and where the finances and coordination arehandled with transparency and prudence. The state owes this to itscitizen riders."

The Globe, should its editors come down to earth, might well follow up with an editorial of its own.� The last one we read said, basically, that the "forward funding" scheme isn't working and we should bail them out and give them even more money.� What nonsense!�

For decades we have thrown good money into a pit, only to see it wasted.� The MBTA is clearly corrupt, inept, and an "authority" that has ZERO interest in public transportation.� Transit is a sideline and an excuse for its continued existence.� Our dependence on this ball and chain of a transit system precludes the public from doing anything drastic.� To hell with that fear.� The time to act - are you listening State Legislature?? - is NOW.

I say - dismantle the mess and start over with something that we can be proud of.

First step: a large moving truck pulls up to 10 Park Plaza.� There will be a lot of desks to clear out.� Grabauskas will be the first to go, with scores more to follow.� Put me in charge.� The elevators will be hoisting plenty of those incompetent do nothings for their last trip to street level.

And maybe, should true justice be done, without the use of T automobiles for their transit, they'll be forced to slog home on the same mess of a system they ran into the ground.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Actually, the Globe's letters section is usually pretty balanced, more so than the editorials most of the time.��� That said, I tend to agree, there is no "fixing" the T, it's time to scrap it and start again.� I know I was late this morning because of "switching" problems.�

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Nope, it's safety and getting us there--sometime.� Not on time, not near on time, but some time.�

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

To be fair, it must be hard to step around the cushy pensions and health insurance benefits.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yolker. Show yolker's posts

just saw an article that to Keep on time they are going to change the Worc/Fram line schedule...management at its best.Better yet, it goes into affect 2/19 but the MBTA site has no ref of the new schedule...management at its best.Make the trains run on time? Change the schedule Email|Print| Text size � + February 12, 2008 12:58 PM By Noah Bierman, Globe Staff The MBTA�s tardiest commuter train line will be getting a new schedule to better reflect the time it actually takes to run the train, state representative Alice Hanlon Peisch announced today.Peisch said she has been told by the train�s private operator, the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Company, the new schedule will take effect Feb. 19.�Riders of the Worcester-Framingham line need an accurate schedule to plan their lives accordingly. The train schedule has been unreliable for too long,� said Peisch, a Democrat from Wellesley. Scheduling will not make the chronically late trains go faster. The MBTA and its contractor have been struggling to merge commuters' needs with those of CSX, the freight rail operator that dispatches the line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

They aren't trying to improve service, they are trying to make it look like they are on time more often. Bet the arrival time isn't 25 minutes earlier!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yolker. Show yolker's posts

a "slowdown" could be interesting and keep folks out of trouble. keep your pass/ticket in your pocket until they ask YOU for it (not the person next to you)...then take your time getting it� out. we can show them how much we appreciate "their" efforts for providing the service.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emme8819. Show emme8819's posts

The poor service is NOT the fault of the conductors. Why punish them with rudeness?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I agree, annoying the conductors won't save us money, won't improve service, won't change anything, it will just bug them more and more.� Sure, there are a few surly ones, but for the most part, they are just making the best of the situation they are in.� Slowing them down further is actually just as likely to RAISE our fares, because MBCR gets fined when they are late more than a certain percentage of the time.�