MBTA late-night service

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MWK. Show MWK's posts

Re: MBTA late-night service

In response to Vito971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's open after the T shuts down in Boston, besides bars and a few restaurants? There's no other place to go, nothing else to do.

Instead of asking the T to spend more money just to take care of the bar crowd, why not try to entice some private transportation company to provide midnight to 6:00am bus service along some of the most-used routes?

[/QUOTE]

There are many bars in the city that are open.  There are more and more restaurants as well.  But, the most important reason to do it is for the second and third shift workers who need it.  There are many people working at that hour and could really use the transportation.  There are many unemployed people who could use a job but can't take one offered at night because they have no way of getting to it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MWK. Show MWK's posts

In response to workingman1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow the Glob is ACTUALLY allowing comments.... WE CANNOT AFFORD THE MBTA ALBATROSS.... start with Mrs Affirmative Action Beverly Scott and her 200K + benefits + sick MONTHS + health care + retirement and work your way down to CUT the BLOATED MBTA .... Devoid WE CANNOT AFFORD yout 2 BILLION $$$$$$$ TAX INCREASE

[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, I have a great idea then.  Let's just buy everyone CARS.  All those poor people who rely on the T to get to work, give them a car instead.  That makes economic sense, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifetraveller2. Show lifetraveller2's posts

It's astonishing to me that 46% of people in the poll would be willing to pay double the fare. Why would that even be a choice. People, don't be sheep! It's a service - it's not a special service.  That shows you how desparate people are for basic servic that other cities provide - without charging double the fare!  I never knew that poor government could be so obvious until I moved to Boston and saw it for my self. Yet, the citizens of Boston seem to be OK with being led around by the nose. Unions and political cronies are the way Boston rolls. And the citizens who rely on public transporation get the short end of the deal. The "T" can barely maintain it's system of operations so don't tell me you're going to charge "double" for your basic barely operational tranportation system. Hey, maybe getting the Olympics here WOULD be a good idea - because apparently it's the only way the Boston transit system will be modernized.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

Late night service would be great especially for people who work late like resturant and hospital workers. However, because from 1am to 5am is the only window of opportunity to do track work and routine maintanance, it would have to be late night bus service. It would not be cost effective at all to keep the rails open late for only a few people to ride. 

There would have to be extra police presence in the college areas because of all the drunk students who would try to ride free.

it is a big myth that other cities run late night service. The only cities that I know of that run late night service is NYC and San Diego on the weekend. Most other transit systems in this country and globally curtail service earlier than the T.

A private/public partnership with the hospitals, universities and resturant associations to help fund the initiative and a higher late night fare would make a lot of sense. They want it, they should pay for it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

Would be bad for the cabbies though, that's when they make their money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

It should at least run until 2:00. To shut down at 12:30 on a Saturday night is ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

The late night T fare would have to be a Market Rate Fair so as to not negatively impact the private transportation industry (taxi cabs). How would you like the government to subsidize a competing industry, reducing your profits and ability to stay in business. We don't have enough cab service in Boston to begin with. 

Realistically, the late night fare would have to start at $10 to even remotely bring the the fare up to par with private sector transportation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to robot1022's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would be bad for the cabbies though, that's when they make their money.

[/QUOTE]

It is good that it is bad for cabbies.  They take advantage of the lack of late night public transportation and rake in crazy rates.  I lived in Quincy and Stoneham before, both are about a 15 minute drive north or south of Boston.  A cab ride home costs over $50.  That in turn leads people to avoid taking cabs and risks people driving under the influence more.  If I can take a cab from one end of Manhatten from the upper west side all the way diagonally across Manhatten to the lower east side for $12 for a ride that takes 20 minutes it shows why this is a good thing.  Competition drives prices lower and increases the quality of service, hence the premise of capitalism. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MWK. Show MWK's posts

[QUOTE]

Late night service would be great especially for people who work late like resturant and hospital workers. However, because from 1am to 5am is the only window of opportunity to do track work and routine maintanance, it would have to be late night bus service. It would not be cost effective at all to keep the rails open late for only a few people to ride. 

There would have to be extra police presence in the college areas because of all the drunk students who would try to ride free.

it is a big myth that other cities run late night service. The only cities that I know of that run late night service is NYC and San Diego on the weekend. Most other transit systems in this country and globally curtail service earlier than the T.

A private/public partnership with the hospitals, universities and resturant associations to help fund the initiative and a higher late night fare would make a lot of sense. They want it, they should pay for it. 

[/QUOTE]

Let's be clear on what we are talking about here.  "Late Night Service" does not mean running the subway all night.  It only means bus service.  Those other cities like London, San Francisco, Philly, Chicago, etc., where the trains close at Midnight, they all offer some sort of late night bus service instead.  Boston is the only system I'm aware of, that completely and totally shuts down at Midnight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

The late night T fare would have to be a Market Rate Fair so as to not negatively impact the private transportation industry (taxi cabs). How would you like the government to subsidize a competing industry, reducing your profits and ability to stay in business. We don't have enough cab service in Boston to begin with. 

Realistically, the late night fare would have to start at $10 to even remotely bring the the fare up to par with private sector transportation.

[/QUOTE]

Realistically, you can go pound sand and we can have the cabs bring the fair down.  They already overcharge.  To prove this, go to http://www.taxifarefinder.com/rates.php  Boston is the 9th most expensive city in the country for cab fares.  It is much more expensive to take a cab in Boston than it is in Manhattan where everything else is 40% more expensive in New York, New York. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

Late night bus service in San Francisco, from what I can figure, is funded by a $1 increase in the bridge tolls. Is that what we want ?????

We need MORE cabs in Boston not less. Late night bus service in Boston will decimate the private sector transportation industry (taxi cab service) in this city.  Then, in the end, the tax payer subsidized all night bus service will cease because of funding issues like low fares. We will end up with no bus AND no cabs. How will that work for you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBallgame22. Show TeddyBallgame22's posts

[QUOTE]

Late night bus service in San Francisco, from what I can figure, is funded by a $1 increase in the bridge tolls. Is that what we want ?????

We need MORE cabs in Boston not less. Late night bus service in Boston will decimate the private sector transportation industry (taxi cab service) in this city.  Then, in the end, the tax payer subsidized all night bus service will cease because of funding issues like low fares. We will end up with no bus AND no cabs. How will that work for you?

[/QUOTE]

You're right that we need more cabs here but late night bus service certainly wouldn't decimate cab companies.  The cabs having to deal with competition would be the best thing to ever happen.  They'd be forced to lower their ridiculously high fares and provide better service.  The cab situation in Boston is so much worse than places like NYC.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from krylon. Show krylon's posts

The T already has a midnight shift consisting of dispatchers police etc, the question should be what have they been doing 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

I feel bad for the low paid resturant workers who have to take a cab home. Could not the wealthy resturant owners downtown provide them with a cab ride home door to door in consideration for the very hard work they do for them at low wages?

This all night bus plan mainly benefits the wealthy resturant owners by having patrons stay longer and spend more money in their establishments . Should they not foot the bill for the all night government bus service?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffhovis. Show jeffhovis's posts

There are people, other than bar and club patrons, who could really use the service!

I notice no one is talking about the WORKERS in the bars, restaurants and clubs, who cannot use T service because of their late working hours.

Also the WORKERS in cleaning and related building services industries also often labor late into the night.

Seems that these are some of the people who could must use extended service hours, because they can probably least afford to drive a car and park in the city.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

What about the public health implications? If the resturants stay open later, people will stay and drink more and eat more. Is this what we want: more alcoholics and obese people? The health care cost to society will be even greater than the cost of the government bus service in the long run.

if the resturants want this, they should pay the Entire Cost of Government Bus Service. They could give vouchers to their low paid workers and their drunk patrons. No fare required at all. They will be the ones to benefit. Why should the taxpayers be involved in this at all ? I don't get it.

Downtown resturants owners have a lot of influence with Boston politicians but that doesn't give them the right to shift Their cost to the taxpayers. Its all about the resturants.

Perhaps a Meals Surtax to to pay for this all night bus service is the way to go along with a surtax on resturant profits. Not sure how that would work out because resturants are notorious for tax evasion. We should not be subsidizing them nor should their patrons be required to pay the bus fare.

We should definitely not raise the tolls by $1 like San Francisco did to provide All Night bus service.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from megatha427. Show megatha427's posts

I think a good compromise would be to offer late-night service on the weekends, at least to start. I don't know if the T needs to be available 24/7 but having it more accessible when more people will use it (ie: after the bars close) would definitely be helpful! Hopefully they will have more than one train on each line, too - I HATE waiting 30 minutes on the Orange Line because there is only one train doing the whole thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Remember to add to the "drunks who don't deserve" late night public transportation (and those who serve them): healthcare workers, airport workers, and the travelers coming in from the airport and South Station at all hours of the night.  Though they are likely too tired to coalesce around this issue, they are legion in the metro area.

There is not round-the-clock public transportation because there is a powerful and moneyed constituency that doesn't want it, not because there are insufficient people who do.  The "No" lobby is represented here in this thread.  Although it's stretching with its excuses, it's just warming up again.

The last time that the idea was seriously considered, it was well-documented that the owners of the taxi companies - notably the old lady who ran the Boston cabs into the ground, who had a monopoly on the medallions until she died - pumped a large amount of money to local and state politicians.  She and her confreres were only compelled to come out of the shadows when it was time for rate hearings and when events like the Big Dig's completion finally happened.  Remember the crocodile tears about the loss of distance/$$$ from the airport?  Otherwise, they operate in the shadows.  Again, remember the condition of the cabs until she died?  She and her "competition" could easily rile up the drivers to go to bat in places like this thread.  The legacy lives.  Case in point.

Finally, if that's not enough substantiation, remember the "intermodal" initiative about improving connections between transportation links that died aborning?  The nationwide poster child is what Boston did not get out of the Big Dig.  Why do you think we didn't get a rail line all the way through Boston out of the Big Dig?  

Intermodal connections, like all-night public transportation, are not a good thing for everyone -- just the public.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Otherwise, new governor, new round, new mayor, new round.  Then it dies down.  So it appears.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I like the idea of late night service on the MBTA and hope they extend this to the commuter rails as well. The thought of not having to drive into Boston if I want to go see a concert or a play is wonderful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RememberTheAndrea. Show RememberTheAndrea's posts

I never use the subways. They don't seem safe to me but I still think it will help cut down on drunk driving.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/02/26/late-night-t-service/?utm_source=March+3+2014&utm_campaign=3%2F3%2F14+BID+E-Letter&utm_medium=email

WOO HOO!!!

Cards on the table, I'm a late-night inbound air traveler with friends who are hospital shift workers.

As the article says: Let's use it!

Sections
Shortcuts