Merry Christmas is upon us.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Merry Christmas is upon us.

I don't consider Merry Christmas to be politcally incorrect. I also don't consider Happy Holidays to be a bad thing either. I have a lot of friends who are not Christian..wishing them a Merry Christmas would be like wishing them Happy Birthday on my own birthday..
    Getting caught up in the proper way to wish people well is something I have always thought of as foolish..and contrary to what "the season" is supposed to be about.
    I celebrate Christmas..but I don't have a problem wish saying "Happy Holidays" since Christmas is not the only holiday that takes place in December.
    Besides..for most people..it seems that Christmas stopped being about Jesus a long time ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Miscricket I agree.
    As a 100% atheist I also wish people a "Merry Christmas", as its a reference to a time of year rather than a political or religious statement, for me. I have never heard of anyone who would be insulted by such a statement either (unless their last name is Scrooge). 
    And I love presents and the concept of goodwill to people. What's not to love?
    I also know people of non-christian religions who also wish people "Merry Christmas" at this time of year. No big deal. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I say "merry Christmas" (unless I know the recipient is Jewish in which case I wish them a happy Chanukah) and find that most people are happy to hear it and say a hearty "Merry Christmas!" back with a smile and lilt in their voices.  In fact, I can't remember one negative or even neutral reaction to my having said it.  I think people are sick to death of political correctness, even those who don't necessarily celebrate a Christ-centric holy Christmas, like Plasko talked about.  Joy, goodwill, gifts - indeed, what's not to love?  Even my Jewish friends return the merry Christmas greeting when it's offered to them.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

I say Merry Christmas but if others prefer to say Happy Holidays so be it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I say Bah Humbug, and it works universally across all religions.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That one I don't understand.  No other religion or seasonal celebration uses a tree to represent it other than Christmas.  It's got Christmas decorations and is topped with a star or angel, representing the biblical account of the birth of Jesus.   What all the holidays share is the time of year, not the Christmas tree or other symbols specific to particular celebrations.  

It would be as if menorahs were traditionally called "Passover (oops, Chanukah, sorry) Menorahs" and we were told to call them "Holiday Menorahs."  Um, really?  What OTHER holiday is the menorah supposed to represent?  

Christmas trees represent Christmas, not all the holidays of the same season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Pssst... Menorahs are Hanukkah, not Passover.

Evergreens have been part of winter solstice celebrations long before Christ. They are now generally associated with Christmas, but that's not where they started.

I'm in favor of celebrating all winter holidays, but I do usually wish people a happy Christmas, because that's my primary holiday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oops, of course, thanks for that correction!  Embarassed

I knew trees were used long before Christmas, but they are Christmas trees today, and no other celebration of the season uses the tree besides Christmas so I think my original point (even with the embarrassing mistake in the analogy!) is still valid.  It would only make sense to call it a holiday tree if other celebrations of the season used trees as symbols, too.  

ETA:  For instance, the combination of the Chanukah Tree, Kwanzaa Tree, New Year's Tree, and the Christmas Tree would be the Holiday Tree.  It would have decorations that represented all the trees it was a combination of, I presume.  Given that the only seasonal celebration tree is the Christmas tree it makes no sense to call it the Holiday Tree.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If you want to take it to the lowest common denominator and not worry about it at all, try, "Have a good one"  -- if that offends anyone, then give up. 

@Kar: I agree.  If anything, calling a tree a "holiday tree" is more offensive as it implies all of the "seasonal holidays" use a pine tree as a symbol, and they don't.  Ridiculous.   :D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Christmas and Solstice Tree.

I celebrate the solstice, too, even if it is a pagan holiday. Anything to feel better about the day with the least amount of sunlight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

To be fair, the Xians stole the holiday from people who already had an established mid-winter festival, knowing full well that Jesus was born around February/March time. Its clever to take over an already established holiday and call it something else, rather than start afresh. Clever management/marketing. 
    They tried the same with getting rid of Halloween, and moving in All Saints Day. That one did not work and we have retained Halloween, regardless. All Saints Day is now the day after. 
    And don't get me started on re-branding Pan as the devil.... 
    Seems like whenever there had been something more popular than them they try and take over it. I think those were the first corporate takeovers! Bloody ones too going by history. 

Talking of political correctness gone mad the Whole Foods website has a link for a "Winter Holiday Menu" right next to one for a "Hanukkah Menu". Um, so where is the "Christmas Menu", then?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Oh, a wealth of information of Christmas trees and their history. Fascinating stuff:

Including a bit about Boston! :
    "In 2005, the city of Boston renamed the spruce tree used to decorate the Boston Common a "Holiday Tree" rather than a "Christmas Tree".[66] The name change drew a poor response from the public and was changed back to "Christmas Tree" after being threatened with several lawsuits by Rev. Jerry Falwell and the Alliance Defense Fund. In the same year, Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., asked that the tree that decorates the Capitol grounds to be renamed back to "Christmas tree". It had been renamed "Holiday tree" in the 1990s.[67]"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

This was in the Boston Herald today.  Unbelievable....  Merry Christmas!

Gag order for Santa?OK, so a Rhode Island governor who won’t call it a “Christmas” tree? Dumb, but I get it.A Virginia courthouse where Santa’s been banned? I get that, too.But when the guy who won’t say “Merry Christmas” is Santa Claus, you know you’ve crossed the line into utter PC insanity. Or the border into Massachusetts. Same thing.On Sunday evening, my kids and I dropped into the Friendly’s in Sudbury for a post-Christmas-shopping-day treat. They got ice cream decorated with smiley-faces, and I got a few minutes of blessed relief from “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” blasting from the car’s CD player.Suddenly the door at Friendly’s swings open and who to my wondering eyes should appear, but ... SANTA! Perfect timing: Ice cream, kids and Santa Claus — what could be better on a December’s eve?I watched as Santa, dressed in full regalia including the little Santa spectacles on his nose, worked his way from table to table, greeting the delighted children.“Merry Christmas,” the kids cried.“Happy Holidays,” Santa replied.Every table, the same thing from Santa: “Happy Holidays.” Not a single “Christmas” crossed his lips. So by the time he made it back to our booth, I was ready.“Santa, thanks so much for stopping by to wish my kids a ‘Merry Christmas!’” I said before he could even speak.“Happy Holidays!” he returned.“And how about a ‘Merry Christmas’ for the kids?” I insisted.“Happy Holidays, kids,” he insisted right back.I pushed him again, even more directly, and he glared at me. A deep, dark, “Omigodit’s CreepySanta” glare that kids know and secretly fear every time they see the Big Guy at the mall.Through gritted teeth came the final “Happy Holidays” before he quickly moved on to the next table.Here’s the deal: If you’re one of those thin-skinned, losers who is actually offended by the notion of Christmas — fine. But if that’s the case then what are you doing dressing up as Santa Claus? If you can’t say “Merry Christmas,” then don’t take the gig!It’s like appearing as a Nazi in a World War II movie, then refusing to say “Heil Hitler!” Pal, once you put on the uniform, you’re in.One of my radio listeners said his family had a similar experience at a Friendly’s that same day. A Friendly’s spokeswoman confirmed it’s company policy for employees (including “Santa’s helpers”) to rely on “Happy Holidays,” although a “Merry Christmas” in response to mine would have been OK.Liberals mock the notion of a “War on Christmas.” But it’s not the 95 percent of Americans who celebrate the season (according to Gallup) on the warpath. There would be no war if not for folks like the angry atheists in Virginia who put up the “Skeleton Santa” at the Loudon County courthouse last week.Like many local governments, Loudon County’s been a battleground between typical Christmas-loving Americans, and the militant mean-spirited atheists who oppose them.Loudon’s solution was to allow 10 holiday displays on a first-come, first-served basis. But anti-Christmas zealots swamped the county with applications back in March, effectively blocking traditional displays. Instead Loudon got “Skeleton Santa On A Cross” — an image that frightened kids and offended everyone else.Why? Why go to so much trouble to ruin other people’s fun? If you really are so fouled up inside that you can’t find joy in Christmas, why not simply ignore it?The liberal’s terror of Christmastime has gone beyond politics — it’s pathological. Seriously — if you find the phrase “Merry Christmas” offensive, you don’t need good cheer. You need a good therapist

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: Merry Christmas is upon us.:
    [QUOTE]"Xian?" Nuff said
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Um, Xian=Christian, as in Xmas=Christmas.

Obvious, no?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In Response to Re: Merry Christmas is upon us.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Merry Christmas is upon us. : That sort of thing makes me seriously consider banging my head on my desk. No. It is a Christmas tree. Because on Christmas, people put up pine trees, and they decorate them. And, with the exception of some Eastern Europeans (who do something similar for new years), and apparently Pagans, this happens specifically and only for CHRISTMAS. In fact, even though I've said I don't accept any major religion though I am ethnically Jewish, I would be offended if someone called a Menorah a "holiday candlestick". Because that's just f'ing stupid.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Kinda f'ing stupid to compare a "X-mas" tree to a Menorah. A Menora has a scriptural basis, while a "X-mas" tree has none what so ever. Nor does the 25th of December have any scriptural basis as the birth of Christ. It was most likely in the spring. I've always hated this inflated "war" on X-mas. Stupidity on both sides.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Regardless of the pagen origin of the Christmas tree and the fact that Jesus was probably born somewhere around March, the evergreen tree became a symbol of the Christian holiday of Christmas.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, wdywn, that's why the Puritans outlawed all Christmas decorations and non-Christ-centric trappings.  It was a holy day meant to honor the birth of Jesus, period.  And, strictly speaking, there's nothing religious about that, only theological.

But, today, part of the celebration of Christmas is putting up the Christmas Tree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I agree..foolish to call a Christmas tree a holiday tree. Too bad intelligence and common sense were not politically correct.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.