Natick team name change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Natick team name change

The Boston Globe reports that some fans of the local high school teams are fighting a School Commiittee decision to change the name of the Natick Redman to Natick Hawks. Supporters of the name change feel it is racist and anachronistic.

What do you think?

Read the article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from my2centsworth. Show my2centsworth's posts

Natick team name change

I think this is totally STUPID.��I grew up in Grafton.� We USED TO BE the Grafton Indians.� Some p.c. group changed it to the Grafton Chiefs!!!��� Ummmmm Chief of what?�� Police chief?� Fire Chief?� �I can't believe it, actually I can.� No one has a backbone anymore!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from feblaw. Show feblaw's posts

Natick team name change

Somewhere down the line, I have to believe our Fore Fathers are turning over in their graves! One poster discussed our society's extremism regarding the "politically correct" movement.� I would love to know why the term "Redmen" is so offensive?�� When a school names its team is it not in celebration of something?� Should all British born New Englanders file suit vs. Robert Kraft because the Patriots defeated the Brits in the Revolutionary War (at least the Pats won that battle - ugh!)? It is time for the Legislative Branch of our Government to have some intestinal fortitude and stand up against some of this extremism.� I am quite sure that if they did, they would find out that the MAJORITY of the voters (who are not racist, or bigots, but who are probably, kind-hearted, law-abiding citizens) would stand up and applaud their position!�� A school typically names their teams to honor the past, keep tradition, etc.... IT IS A POSITIVE! It is not negative.� As an attorney, I too, can twist and turn the meaning of just about any term to favor my client's position, the IMPORTANT thing is to remember the TRUE reason for naming the squads.... I am quite sure that if anyone was "BRAVE" (oops, I think that an Indian Military warrior was termed a Brave, as is an Atlanta Baseball Team, might I be sued now?) enough to research why the High School decided on this name, they would find that there was absolutely not any negative intent, but rather an intent to honor the past?�� This is something that should be altered? Stop all the B.S. and deal with REAL issues.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugmen0t. Show bugmen0t's posts

Natick team name change

OK, these bunch of yahoos in the burbs, who probably never set foot inside a voting booth or attended a town meeting are all up in arms over changing the name of a sports team?�� Get a life.�

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soupy103. Show soupy103's posts

Natick team name change

Let the town of Natick vote to decide. It's their school. Their taxes pay for it. It's their call. End of discussion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from superc. Show superc's posts

Natick team name change

What history book are you reading? "This country was founded on MAJORITY rule". Explain the electoral college to me. Explain to me how John Kerry won the popular vote (the majority) and lost the election.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from superc. Show superc's posts

Natick team name change

Natick is not offensive, Redmen is a rascist, offensive term.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from superc. Show superc's posts

Natick team name change

how about the natick "white trash".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueballer2000. Show blueballer2000's posts

Natick team name change

Stop and think before you defend the history of a name. Is flying the confederate flag at the state house ok? For me names like "Chiefs" and "Warriors" signify power. Names like "Redmen" and "Redskins" signify race.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from feblaw. Show feblaw's posts

Natick team name change

I happen to be one of those "burbs" people, but unlike your generalized, stereotypical opinions, I also vote, and in fact serve as a Member of the Registrar of Voters in the City I reside in.� Get off your high horse my friend!� Maybe you are not the most influential, wealthiest, or most important person in the world!� Those less fortunate also have opinions!!!���� Love, a relatively intelligent, voting, surbubanite!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from feblaw. Show feblaw's posts

Natick team name change

Oh Willie, I used to think so much higher of you! Why get real issues confused with fabricated ones?� How long was Natick known as the Redmen? Did someone all of a sudden get up one morning and became offended by the name??? Think about that for a second. Also do NOT get my position as one supporting racism. (Read my initial blog before you start that game my friend!)�The examples you provide are likely real racist situations.� See, I come from the school that ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.� In your examples, someone affirmatively acted out NOW.� In this case, an action, eons ago, an action likely out of fondness and recognition of the past and the contributions made by the Indians in Natick (I am of course assuming that) is now put to the test.Since you bring up silly examples, let me try this one out on your position...Seems like you are advocating for speeding tickets to people who used to travel 68 MPH on the Pike (when the speed limit was 70MPH) because NOW the limit is 65MPH.� Ex Post Facto rules and applications don't work....� Leave it alone! Finally, people are speaking out AGAINST the extremes we are taking to remove any hint of ethnicity, religion from our society (Happy Holidays!).� Many of those principals were used to create our Country.� Many today, attempt to interpret things much differently to justify their positions...� Whatever!�� Oh by the way, how is that move to Cleveland working out for you?��

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from feblaw. Show feblaw's posts

Natick team name change

Thank you for enlightening me. Why must everything be so polarizing?� I disagree apparently with your position, but do not consider myself a member of the Master Race!� My Dad fought in WW II, in the 95th Infantry Division AGAINST, what was once considered the Master Race! I do not harm anyone, I do not intentionally offend anyone, my daugher's best friend is part Mohegan, I could not care less what color someone is...� Basic human decency ir dignity should be�more about how we treat each other.� I�do think we have gone too far... My law office this year sent out Christmas Cards, and believe it or not, did not lose its non-catholic clientele.��We can enjoy our differences�and in fact celebrate them, so long as we do not interfere with others rights to do so... Yes? Is that not why the Pilgrims came here in the first place?Why take things to such extremes.. unless that of course, is your intent, and if so, please advise.�See, I prefer to look at a person's overall being, body of work if you will. I have seen genuinely, sincere, kind, people, without a hint of racism in their hearts basically ripped apart by a passing comment, and a misinterpretation.� If that is the sort of thing that you refer to, I would prefer not to continue the dialogue, because I DO think we have gone too far! �

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Natick team name change

I'm a Natick resident who finds this argument completely ridiculous. Not only is the name ethnically insensitive, it's sexist. Why should the girls have to play for a team called the Redmen? Natick's pride in its sports teams is something to hang onto, this "tradition" is not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akui7087. Show akui7087's posts

Natick team name change

Here we go again with white man's guilt. The name of a school mascot is, at most, a trivial concern. So, by them fighting over this, it tells me that there is nothing else to worry about in Natick.However, to appease everyone, keep the term Redmen (or Redwomen for you even more ridiculous PC people in the crowd) and change the visual to some amorphous red being, like that hairy monster in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. Look at Syracuse University. They're the Orangemen and have a fruit as their mascot, and it is one of the most unique and well known mascots in existence. If they feel pressured�to change it, then put some thought into it. This is Natick's chance to be unique instead of picking the generic Hawk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Natick team name change

I also went to a high school that decided to dump its ethnically insensitive mascot and it didn't change my relationship with the school one iota. In fact, I was really proud of them for doing it.

I really think that Natick should have pride in its sports teams and students and other accomplishments and it's not important to stick to some so-called "tradition." In fact, they polled the current students and most of them wanted to change the name.

Sometimes a name is just a name? Maybe. It's true that it wasn't originally intended to be a political statement, but it's making one now. That can't be helped. Natick can't stick its head in the sand and now say "we didn't mean anything by it." They have to address that some people--many people--today find the name offensive.

>>The name of a school mascotis, at most, a trivial concern. So, by them fighting over this, ittells me that there is nothing else to worry about in Natick.

Actually, there are a lot of really important things happening in Natick right now, not the least of which is a key Prop 2 1/2 override which will affect the schools, etc. The decision to change the mascot was /already made/. The people who are fighting over it are the ones who can't let go and move on with it already.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwilla01. Show mwilla01's posts

Natick team name change

I understand that people feel political correctness has gone too far, and I understand that it's only a team name, and no offense is meant.� As a native American, I'm not offended by Natick or any other team name.� This is not the point - what does bother me is the double standard.� There would never even be consideration of the Natick Blackmen, or the Washington Blackskins.� Our culture still tolerates stereotypes of native Americans in the name of tradition - just because something's a tradition doesn't make it right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cphoey10. Show cphoey10's posts

Natick team name change

this is so not needed. I'm from Framingham and grown up watching the fierce rivalry of Natick vs. Framingham. And then had the pleasure of playing in that rivalry in Hockey and Baseball. It just won't seem right if its not the Redman vs. the Flyers. We've gone so long with this tradition, why do we have to give in to the PC'ers (politically correct). I also was a student at UMass-Amherst when they proposed to change it from the Minutemen to the Grey�Wolves.� In the end it just made sense to let it be and I think the people fighting to keep as is, should bring up this precedent to help their cause. As I said, this is just not needed and after all these years, why do we have to change it now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from uspatrio1. Show uspatrio1's posts

Natick team name change

The Redmen was what the Sons of Liberty called themselves after the Revolutionary war. Therefore the name probably originated from this group of white guys. However, they used it in a derogatory way to describe the natives.

I do not think that the descendents of the native americans should really give a crap but I also do not believe that the people who want to keep the name really should give a crap either. Have the people who want to change the name, raise the funds to do so and call it a day!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Natick team name change

What is a Guines?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Natick team name change

��� False

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadjoe. Show deadjoe's posts

Natick team name change

"UMM MMM HAS ANYONE SEEN THE CLEVELAND INDIANS LOGO??WAAAAAY MORE RACIST THEN ANY TEAM NAMES I HAVE SEEN .. AND NOTHING IS SAID ABOUT THEM ."

Just because you ignore it, that doesn't mean nothing is said about them. Plenty is said about the Cleveland mascot, and denying it does not change that fact.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadjoe. Show deadjoe's posts

Natick team name change

"Now that the Hawks are there, I don't anymore.� I'm a Redmen, not a Hawk.� By changing the name, they guaranteed, I'm not a part of the school's future."No,�you're the one that made that choice."Sometimes a name is just a name ..."Seems like the name is all that you care about. You seem to be rejecting the school, the team, and the tradition, becasue you can't see past the name.�

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadjoe. Show deadjoe's posts

Natick team name change

"the shamrock *( not clover) is the symbol of Eire. Let em keep it! "

D'oh! A shamrock IS clover. It's just the English spelling of the Gaelic word for clover.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadjoe. Show deadjoe's posts

Natick team name change

The name change is a done deal. The elected town officials have made their decision.

If you're STILL whining about it, vote against them in the next town election. That's your recourse. They will allow a non-binding referendum on the subject. The Natick team is the Hawks. If you can't accept that, it's YOUR problem, not the Hawks' problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm11. Show norm11's posts

Natick team name change

The PC people want to give every minority group veto power over every public act.� We have so many minority groups that this is impossible. Are we going to let the league of red-haired left-handed people demand that more left-handed red-haired people should appear in TV programs? The Indians were primatives living in the stone age. Their descendents should be happy that the Europeans took over this country.