Neil Entwistle found guilty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgranat. Show bgranat's posts

I haven't looked at any transcripts of the trial, but I've been wondering what counterarguments, if any, the defense produced against all that damning evidence. What did it say in response to his running away, not calling the police, not coming to the funeral, and so on?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from insideout1234. Show insideout1234's posts

[Quote]State sanctioned killing has never been shown to be a deterrent -- civilized countries have abandoned the death penalty -- except this one; keeping the death penalty as an option puts us in the grand company of Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia and others we often scorn as "third world" or "savage" or "uncivilized" -- hell, Angola, Columbia, Serbia, Rwanda have all banned the death penalty -- and despite its ineffectiveness as a deterrent, we keep it.  Where are the "pro-life" people now?[/Quote]

Actually, that is an untrue statement.  The Guillatine was quite effective and many countries still have the death penalty as a deterrant.  Stop being so pious. Your attitude and self rightgeousness is one of the many reasons other countries view us as "Infidels".  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

[Quote]
    Florida and Texas have the death penalty and have used it more than any other states -- and their murder rates are consistently higher than states without the death penalty

True, but these states are very large with a bigger poppulation, so of course there will be more murders. But I think that people who murder aren't in their right mindsand don't think or care about the consequences - and most of them think they won;t get caught, so I don't think the death penalty is a deterrant - but I'm all for it, we shouldn't have to fork out our tax dollars for murderers ( or rapists for that matter )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from insideout1234. Show insideout1234's posts

I believe that in extreme circumstances, such as serial rapist, serial killers, terrorist--the death penality is the appropriate punishment.

No one here or anywhere can tell me are not better off for killing Bundy, McVey or the likes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from who-cares-1940. Show who-cares-1940's posts

[Quote]

Enough already about "deterrents".  Nobody is suggesting the death penalty as a deterrent.  It's a PUNISHMENT not a DETERRENT.  He deserves to die, it's a just punishment. 

Deterrents should be taking place BEFORE crimes, not after them. 

The government has already wasted enough money on this dirtbag, no need to support him now.

[/Quote]

You're right. It's not a deterent, it's a punishment. But several people on here have suggested it's a deterent, so they're being shot down with the facts.

Whether it is a "just" punishment is a philosophical argument that can't be "proved" one way or the other. There are no "facts" to support or refute whether it's just, so there's really no point in arguing it except from an ethical point of view.

My personal opinion is that it is such an extreme punishment that it should not be used unless there is a consensus within the society -- and that consensus does not exist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

[Quote]Actually, that is an untrue statement.  The Guillatine was quite effective and many countries still have the death penalty as a deterrant.  Stop being so pious. Your attitude and self rightgeousness is one of the many reasons other countries view us as "Infidels".  [/Quote]

137 countries have abolished the death penalty.  FACT.  But you are judged by the company you keep correct?

On the subject of the death penalty, we keep company with: 
    • Afghanistan
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Bahamas
    • Bahrain
    • Bangladesh
    • Barbados
    • Belarus
    • Belize
    • Botswana
    • Burundi
    • Cameroon
    • Chad
    • China (People's Republic)
    • Comoros
    • Congo (Democratic Republic)
    • Cuba
    • Dominica
    • Egypt
    • Equatorial Guinea
    • Eritrea
    • Ethiopia
    • Gabon
    • Ghana
    • Guatemala
    • Guinea
    • Guyana
    • India
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Jamaica
    • Japan
    • Jordan
    • Korea, North
    • Korea, South
    • Kuwait
    • Laos
    • Lebanon
    • Lesotho
    • Libya
    • Malawi
    • Malaysia
    • Mongolia
    • Nigeria
    • Oman
    • Pakistan
    • Palestinian Authority
    • Qatar
    • St. Kitts and Nevis
    • St. Lucia
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Sierra Leone
    • Singapore
    • Somalia
    • Sudan
    • Swaziland
    • Syria
    • Taiwan
    • Tajikistan
    • Tanzania
    • Thailand
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Uganda
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States
    • Vietnam
    • Yemen
    • Zambia
    • Zimbabwe
    from:  http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html  -- info provided by Amnesty International

Believe what you want.  No piety, no self-righteousness.  Killing people, even evil people, is barbaric.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

[Quote][Quote]
    Florida and Texas have the death penalty and have used it more than any other states -- and their murder rates are consistently higher than states without the death penalty

True, but these states are very large with a bigger poppulation, so of course there will be more murders. But I think that people who murder aren't in their right mindsand don't think or care about the consequences - and most of them think they won;t get caught, so I don't think the death penalty is a deterrant - but I'm all for it, we shouldn't have to fork out our tax dollars for murderers ( or rapists for that matter )[/Quote]

Yes, but murder rates are calculated based on percentages -- the number of murders per 100,000 people -- this makes a comparison of dissimilar sized states fair and reasonable.  The national average is 6.3 murders per 100,000 people, the rate in Massachusetts is 4.0 per 100,000, the rate in Texas is just under 8 per 100,000.  It doesn't matter how many people live in a state.

Additionally, if you put someone to death, what do you do when, years later, DNA or other evidence, clears them of any wrongdoing -- issue a check to their families with an apology?  129 times since 1973 people have been exonerated of crimes they were accused and (wrongly) found guilty of committing, some of them from death row.  Some were executed on questionable or suspicious evidence.  http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?&did=2238 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

[Quote]I believe that in extreme circumstances, such as serial rapist, serial killers, terrorist--the death penality is the appropriate punishment.

No one here or anywhere can tell me are not better off for killing Bundy, McVey or the likes.[/Quote]

How is executing them any different than locking them up forever?  Jail is cheaper than execution, and years in jail thinking about what they've done and the fact that they're never getting out is a far harsher punishment, in my opinion.  Death?  Way too easy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stillpower. Show Stillpower's posts

I love America and hope you dont judge all of us Brits by this stupid moronic woman.

I don't judge on British people based on what Neil's mother said about the legal system here. What she did was foolish comments. She tried to cover up & protect Neil's heineous acts (she heard all evidences) and chose to believe his son words: I didn't do it. He had no remorse during the whole time. Most misearible & unhappy husband/father usually commit the crime by killing wife/children here in USA and blame the victim(s) for his misdeeds. It's nothing new. He should have divorce her and move back to comfortable life in England. It's always risk to marry a foreign partner & still happy marriage life despite different cultures. But he chose the wrong option. My aunt was married to Brit born husband here and they were very happy couple til the day my aunt passed away. Neil is not the only one, most of them convicted & sentenced for lifetime as similar crimes. I'm sure your country doing same thing for the criminals. 

I cannot see how can a happy Mom committed the murder-suicide by shooting her daughter that laid out on her abs then shot herself at the top of her head. That's two wounds she has to take. It didn't make any sense. I know lot of Moms with children that she cannot live without them whether their life is perfect or not. That was lame excuse on his part & defense lawyers to blame Rachel-they're hoping for free pass just like Louise Woodward did from few yrs ago. What Rachel didn't know is Neil did numerous heidous acts: eBay scam, searching for sex services, financial irresponsible, unable to find a steady job, prefers to use British credit card only for any purchases. She & her daughter lost their life based on his life choices. He should be ashamed of his actions.

I'm 3rd generation American that happened to be distant of French, Irish, British & Scottish nationality. My parents, brother & sister are all enjoy with visiting your country & aboved countries as their tourist. Nothing against your country. I hope British people are doing same way.