New Gun AD on Mass Pike

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

[Quote]Read the article dipsheet. Page 4 for the Metro section is where you'll find the quote.[/Quote]

I stand corrected, Dave.

You actually BUY the Globe?

now, that's funny

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

It's much easier to blame guns than take on the difficult social shortcomings of the inner cities.

I have an idea. Let's fine ALL men who have children out of wedlock $10,000 per child.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Let's fine ALL men who have children out of wedlock $10,000 per child.

Many would take that over child support, I would hazzard.

But tax incentives to cure social ills are always worth exploring. How 'bout this one ... slap a $5000 surtax on anyone making less than $20,000/year. Then no one will be poor any more because they could no longer afford it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

But back to the subject at hand. Love or hate Michael Moore, he very clearly demonstrated in Bowling for Columbine that guns don't cause gun violence - Canada has just as many guns per capita as we do and a small fraction of the murder rate (he stopped short of concluding what DOES cause gun violence, just that the factors are very complex).
    What's clear to me is that gun control will never get enough guns out of the hands of enough bad guys to make any difference. Since it can't work, there's no point pursuing it.

P.S. Moore's final interview with an ailing Charlton Heston was disgraceful.
    P.P.S. When only outlaws have guns, most Americans will be outlaws.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Do you think we will ever achieve some balance between the people who want to sell them (guns) like screwdrivers and the people who want to jail anyone who says the word "gun"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ofetid1. Show Ofetid1's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

The question to be asked is why is there a criminal market for guns in Roxbury. But that would be insensitive, so lets ignore it and blame an inanimate object.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from neo2112. Show neo2112's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Wow, my comment got deleted/censored. Hardly surprising.

Oftetid - great point - that was the gist of mine before the Globe censored it. Society has bigger issues than firearms; people on the polar end of "lets banish all guns" are attempting to treat the symptom instead of the cause.

Look at Texas; they don't lead the nation in gun-related violence and I'm pretty sure they have the most loose gun control laws. It's a cultural thing, that's what needs to be addressed.

On the other end of the spectrum, handing out guns to anyone doesn't work for a 300million+ population. Since people in our society care only about themselves, and we have sociopaths/psychopaths everywhere, tight gun control laws are required (I'm all for waiting periods and proper licensing) in terms of the entire country. Since we can't ever really agree on anything in this country and always end up compromising our values instead of realizing a society of 300million people all reporting in to one federal government just doesn't work, we fall back and tow the line. How many of you are happy with about 50% of our tax dollars going to military, and how many of you really believe Obama will change this? Hint: he won't. But people will project their vision for "change" onto him when they cast their vote this fall. Pathetic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Nearly 70 percent of black children are born out of wedlock. A child raised in a single-parent, female-headed household is six times more likely to be poor than a child of any color born into a two-parent household. Seventy percent of youth violence is committed by males from female-headed households, regardless of race.
    If the NAACP and other black leaders want to end the terrible scourge of gun violence committed by young inner-city blacks, they should launch a campaign to promote marriage and family formation in the African-American community; they should issue a moral plea to the community to stigmatize fathers who abandon their children and parents who have more children than they can afford.
    Instead of waging war against law enforcement agencies and supporting destructive racial demagogues like Al Sharpton, they should support the Rudy Giulianis and other champions of public safety, whom they now attack. They should campaign for a tripling of police forces in inner-city areas to protect the vast majority of inhabitants who are law-abiding and who are the true victims of the predators among them.
    But to take these remedial steps would require rejecting the bogus charge of white oppression. It would mean abandoning the ludicrous claim that white America and firearms manufacturers are the cause of the problems afflicting African-Americans. It would mean taking responsibility for their own communities instead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Most of these people that are "Gun Nuts" are mental cases in my experience. Making up for some internal complex they suffer. But there should be

-backround checks
    -proper ID and license to buy a firearm
    -ANY kind of criminal history should disqualify an individiual from owning a firearm.
    -mabey zoning laws, eg. you live in Dorchester, Roxbury, or other problematic neighborhoods, in an apartment not a home, then you cant own a gun!!! Think of how many scumbags that would cover!!

and I hate to say it, but it is AWFULLY comforting that I only once in a bule moon see these shooting inncodents happening in predominantly white neighborhoods with white people being the shooter!! Why is this Al Sharpton? Because white people make the guns? Mabey if more "black" people had jobs, even jobs at Gun Factorys, they would have less time for this gang bulls*&% and stupidity.

-wait, I forgot, the reason that they DO NOT have jobs, is because they failed the CORI backround check!!! Which probably means, the parenting just wasnt there!!

I am a white guy wearing a kevlar vest

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdalco. Show jdalco's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

The gun laws here have done nothing but disarm the law abiding folks. Look at states where it is easy for someone to get a gun if they are not a fellon. Crime has gone down, the streets are safer.

Gun control in the UK has all but eliminated guns in law abiding hands. . . Guess what? Criminals are still using them and the knife has now become another choice weapon to kill folks with.

Gun laws don't work, at lest not prohibition type laws. Prohibition did not work for drinking, does not stop drug use, and won't stop guns or anything else.

Wake up folks, time to get rid of these laws and let the good people of this state defend themselves

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

"Actually, Vermont has the most relaxed gun laws in the country."

they also have the best maple syrup, and mostly calm white communities :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

your average criminal, excuse me, registered democrat doesn't legally operate the way real americans do.

In medicine, "gliomas" are malignant brain tumors that cause headaches, vomiting, seizures, and death as the victim's brain is crushed by the growth. Is that how you chose your name?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

[Quote]

-
    Which means, bring more maple syrup into Dorchester and Roxbury and decrease crime!![/Quote]

Right on Bostonphotog !!!

It would be that simple, but who in there right minds would want to subject themselves to living in these horrible TRIBAL lands !! Not to mention I am sure the white people (the minorities) who live in these communities get racial harrasment pretty frequently, more then the average black guy who lives in the predominently white community!!

If anybody needs a gun, its the poor old 65 year old guy who lives in Roxbury (his whole life) and now has to see this frieken sh#* !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeanpaul. Show jeanpaul's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

No, probably never.

Those Mass Pike billboards are a waste of time and money, and I'm sick of them. I wish some rich pro-gun person would outbid Rosenthal to take over the space.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcgons19. Show mcgons19's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Funkmeister, you're the type who wouldn't dare peep a word of what you type online in front of a black person, or even a progressive white. I know people like you, you're spineless and empowered behind a keyboard. It's disgraceful and if you do have a gun, I have a recommendation about how you could best use it.

What is it about internet talk forums that attracts idiots? I just don't get it, never will. Sorry, but some of you sound like uneducated hicks. Some shining examples:
    the "Gay" state
    Dumbocrats
    Most registered dems are criminals
    Fining people for not making over $20k a year
    You can't own a gun if you live in a certain neighborhood, or live in an apartment

Most of the "community problems" that people reference here are symptoms for which the root cause needs to be addressed before they're eradicated. Much easier to just spout off about welfare and gangs though, isn't it?

Canada has more guns than the US, but most of those are rifles used for hunting in the vast CAN wilderness, not 9mm handguns. I'm pretty confident the US has many more of the latter than Canada. Again though, that doesn't support the argument, so you should ignore it.

Banning guns isn't the answer, nor is allowing anyone who wants to own one to do so without any sort of systematic check. There's a middle ground that can be found.

Until people stop seeing things in black and white, instead of the grey they usually are (in all matters), the political discourse in this country will continue to resemble WWF, such as it does here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

[Quote]What the hell does the World Wildlife Foundation have to do with anything???[/Quote]

well, their symbol is the pander [sic] ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

[Quote]On January 4, 2007 3 republicans sponsored a bill in the House to close the gun show loophole. At last count at least 20 democrats have signed on as co-sponsors. A VERY high priority for democrats and part of Nancy Pelosi's 1000 hour plan.

Alas, Nancy has blocked the bill from even going to committee!

19 months and counting Nancy.

Real high priority eh?[/Quote]

From the Office of Nancy Pelosi,

Thank you for your concern. At this time I am in the middle of my 5 week paid vacation and expensing every bit of it to the American people and special interest groups. If this is an emergency, please turn to my assistant, Jenny at 867-5309.

Adios,

Nancy Pelosi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

8/20/2008 12:59:40 PM

"Funkmeister, you're the type who wouldn't dare peep a word of what you type online in front of a black person, or even a progressive white. I know people like you, you're spineless and empowered behind a keyboard. It's disgraceful and if you do have a gun, I have a recommendation about how you could best use it."

-mcgons19

Sorry if you don't see things the way I do, or mabey you re just confused...so let me try to explain a couple things...

a) I am a registered DEMOCRAT...and I think there needs to be stricter gun control.
    b) I am lucky enough to have friends of many races (black, white, cape verdean, portuguese, and columbian), in which I have huge in -depth conversations about these types of issues with, and they mostly usually agree with me.
    c) If your black or a progressive white, it does not mean you are part of the communities that I am speaking of (at least if you choose not be), therefor I am not talking about you....that would be sterotyping, WHICH I DON'T DO!!!
    d) I am outspoken just the same in live social discussion
    e) I grew up in a "black" neighborhood....and I am doing just fine due to the fact I had good parents, and choose good company when I was a kid, and I finished school then moved on to working full time.

and most importantly....

f) "Most of the "community problems" that people reference here are symptoms for which the root cause needs to be addressed before they're eradicated. Much easier to just spout off about welfare and gangs though, isn't it?" -mcgons19

I don't know if your screen name "mcgons19" means that you ARE 19 years old, and really just that nieve, but the "root cause" has been addressed from so many diffrent angles for so many, many, years.......AND THE PROBLEM IS GETTING WORSE.....do you want to have little church meetings about family, and about choosing between right or wrong??, or would you rather...

MAKE RADICAL CHANGEs AND START SAVING LIVES??????? (eg. an innocent 4 year old and teenager sitting on the porch)

if your black or a progreesive white mcgons19, I would be glad to meet for coffee and I can explain my life saving opinions, and cynical realist judgements... RIGHT TO YOUR FACE!!! I am not an idiot, nor am I spineless :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcgons19. Show mcgons19's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Funkmeister:
    If you're going to imply I am "nieve", at least learn how to spell it.

You claimed you didn't stereotype, but you did throughout your each of your statements. You flat out state that blacks are more prone to gun violence, and that it's because they don't work or have good parents. True in some instances, not in all, but to paint it as the latter (which you do), is the textbook definition of stereotyping.

Tell me, what is the root cause, and how has it been addressed, as you claim?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Since you know it all mcgons19, then you tell me the "root" problem!!! I know what it is..... and I will give you a hint..

There is many root problems within these certain communities, and as much as outsiders and insiders have tried to help solve it,, people keep on dying, children keep on dying,,, and these communities keep getting worse and worse, and when I say "community", I don't mean EVERYBODY in that community is delinquent. In fact most are probably law abiding, however, it is there community and therefor it is their problem.

So take the time now, and explain to me.... the root problem(S) and how we can go about fixing them. In the time it takes you to type it so carefully that you don't make a typo, somebody else will probably get mugged, robbed, shot, stabbed, or killed!!!

Its been time for action,,, for a very very long time. Enough of relying on the counsil groups, YMCA, and church groups,,, lets start tightening up these gun laws, getting more law enforcement in these neighborhoods, and start douching out the pistol totting mother f'ers who are ruining communities and lives.

And please mcgons19,

instead of changing my words around......quote me!!!

and GreginMeffa,

I will have coffee with anybody else, I didnt just mean blacks and progressive whites. So long as nobody calls me a hick, cracker, preppy, white boy, or spineless. Oh, and also...

I wil have coffee with any of you, so long as you promise not to "bust a cap in my a$$"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcgons19. Show mcgons19's posts

New Gun AD on Mass Pike

Greg, try reading more, typing less. I realize you might not hit your 20 posts a day quota and no doubt we'll all be lesser people for it, but the world will continue to spin I reckon.

I said he wouldn't make those racial comments in front of a black person or even a progressive white. That's why he listed those 2 specifically.

Sections
Shortcuts