Oil prices hit a new high

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

��� Today, it was reported that oil prices spiked to $103/barrel in early trading and the dollar hit record lows.� Analysts are predicting $4/gallon gas by Spring.� How is this affecting you?� Or is it affecting you at all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lacus. Show lacus's posts

"Is it affecting you at all?"

What a dumb question. of COURSE!

Everytime I see a picture of Boston lit up like a Christmas tree at night....and New York...and San Francisco...and all the cities inbetween, I wonder if� the eggheads that are running the country might not at some point figure out that a national emergency requires buildings to shut off their lights when they're not in use. Sure, the Hancock needs to be cleaned at night, but I doubt they have someone in 3/4 of the offices.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sldaugherty. Show sldaugherty's posts

How is a single mother suppose to survive with everything going up?� I work full time and live check to check.��� Is it worth me working anymore or should I just live off the state.� When is it going to stop�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

�Is it worth me working anymore or should I just live off the state.�Do you make less than you would on welfare? If you don't then that answers you question.�When is it going to stopNever. Cost of living always increases. Things don't cost the same as when my parents were kids.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hertyung. Show hertyung's posts

Duh!� Of course a weak dollar affects us.� A weak dollar means higher prices for everything we buy.� Why do you think oil is over $100, gold hit another record, wheat is over $11 a bushel and every other commodity is going through the roof?� It's because of the weak dollar.� Why are foreign investors buying up huge stakes of our companies?� Because the weak dollar means they can buy our assets on the cheap.

And don't buy that load of crap that Wall Street likes to peddle that a weak dollar is good for the US since it makes our exports cheaper.� Sure it makes exports cheaper, but it means we here in the US have to pay more for everything.� The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.� And having the trade deficit go from $65 billion a month to $60 billion a month due to a weak dollar, means nothing in the grand scheme.�� It's like having a fever of 106 and having it drop to 105.� Sure your body temperature went down a degree, but your still in rough shape.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parvanites. Show parvanites's posts

OK smart*ss--Tell me why we have to pay $3.50 for heating oil and $3.15 for gas (until next week) so Exxon Mobil can have a 40 BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT LAST QUARTER ALONE.� Why does refinery activity slow down when the supplies of gasoline creep higher?� To tighten supplies?� Yeah, right, I forgot.� It's because we are all a bunch of selfish gluttons.� The nerve of some people, what with their heating their homes in the cold of winter.� They should switch to space heaters or their ovens and die of carbon monoxide poisoning.� Have you read the papers?� Oh, and by the way, your bread, meat and corn cost a whole lot more than they did six months ago because farmers (and I don't blame them) can make a lot more money selling corn to Exxon Mobil than they can by raising wheat.� Wake up.� You can stop consumption all you want.� Supplies will be�reduced to match demand and when someone farts near a Nigerian pipeline, oil will go up two bucks a barrell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4dimad. Show 4dimad's posts

All I can say is that oil is a weapon in the politics� hands. Think about it � we can fly to the moon, make human embryo clones, etc. and we can�t find out how to make and use alternative fuel? �George Bush does not extract crude oil.� Texas is not a member of OPEC.�� Don�t be so na�ve. There is always reason. OPEC, OAPEC, BS. Read it twice (!):The principal aim of OPEC, according to its Statute, is the determination of the BEST means for safeguarding their interests, individually and collectively; devising ways and means of ensuring the stabilization of prices in international oil markets!!!!! We fight in Iraq for DEMOCRACY, but we can�t� safeguard our interest in international oil market? Of course it�s OPEC fault and our government has nothing to do with oil prices. DA-a-a-a-a.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brian546d. Show brian546d's posts

Will it affect me? yes, it would be be crazy if it didn't. However, it only affects the wallet on everything we buy.. why? because just about everything we purchase in all walks of life is the result of oil. All of our plastic bottles, plastic garbage bags, plastic recycling bins, shovels, coffee cup lids, computer monitors, keyboards and I could go on and on...� All of these products are made with oil byproducts. The meat we buy is more expensive because of the cost to feed the cows as well as the transportation it costs to get it to us. In the end, it does not really affect our lifestyle here at my home, but it would be disingenous to say it does not affect us. I drive a SUV during the week (20 minutes commute) but on weekends when I am putting around with my wife, we take her Honda Accord...It is funny that people blame coal for all this global warming crap... did you know that the US has more Coal then Saudi Arabia has oil?�� didn't think so...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbit88. Show rabbit88's posts

Democrats are free spending ambitious money-printing hooligans , while Republicans are a bunch of nation building and war evangelists based on spreading fear.

A nation cannot simply have social programs and at the same time fight in a war.� A lose-lose scenario.�

As for rising gas prices, that is only a minor side effect.

As for my family, we are bracing for the worst by:

1. eliminating costs based on wants
    2. selling stuff we will never use enough
    3. moving to a smaller house

Focus on the best things in life:

1. Health
    2. Ride a bicycle
    3. Be active with our kids

Good luck to everyone and brace yourselves!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

I've seen "buy american" posted several times on this board. I'm pumped when I turn something over and it says "made in America", but that is an extremely rare instance. Where can I find this magic "made in America" store that is still easy on my wallet in these tough financial times?�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

���Respectfully I agree and disagree with some of your statement.� I agree that alot of us are "spoiled" as you mentioned.� There was a very good documentary a few years ago on PBS called Affulenza, which describes over consumption and hopw it affects a lot of social issues.� Living beyond ones means to keep up with the "Jones" is a rat race.Now for some of the disagreements���Who is one to say what another should and should not buy and from what source.�If I work and save and buy a house for my family or a car or any other big ticket item, its not right for one to dictate how�another should spend what�they've worked and saved for.����For example, like it or not CRTVs are an obsolete technology and are going the way of the rotary telephone.� I would agree 5 years ago a flat screen tv was a luxury but now?� So what defines a big house?� A generation ago a two bedroom post WWII home was considered average and within the last 50 years the square fotage of a house has grown, so is my split level ranch consider a "big house"?� Maybe to someone living in a one bedroom apartment it might seem.���My�vocation is in the engineering/manufacturing area.� I would agree that a lot of low tech daily consumer items are made over seas.� However, alot of expensive high tech devices that are sold B2B are designed, fabricated and assembled in this country.� The problem is the public is unaware of it because its not sold to them.� On the subject of "buy American Products"� believe it or not, Nissan, Toyota, Mazada, are designed, fabricated and assembled in this country not Japan or China.� In fact Nissan has a plant in TN, though it is rumored to be moving if not all ready.�� At my days in engineering college, a professor once said this that made me think.� If your�very ill�and need a doctor or go to a hospital who do you want?� Do you want the best medical doctor and facility availble or do you want "Joe all American"Finally, the Europeans have it right and wrong.� First they do manufacture more good in their country (sorry I have no data to back that clain up), but then again they are very expensive to the average citizen.� Most clothing and food items we "spoiled" Americans take for granted are ver expensive in the EU.� In almost every case, when my German friends come to the states thet load up with blue jeans and clothing from Target and Walmart, because the same items are very expensive in GermanyJust my 2 cents

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiop2003. Show kiop2003's posts

Yup.� It's not just the Democrats or the Republicans or the FED or the oil company's, it's all of those and more.� It's the average Americans love affair with living above their means (can you say foreclosure crisis and credit crunch?).� It's our governments fiscal irresponsiblity (all fiat currencies eventually are debased).� It's our ridiculous foreign policy (policing the world costs a lot of $$$$).

The only way to dig ourselves out of this hole is to bite the bullet, go through a necessary and painful recession, live within our means, reduce government spending, cut taxes, practice a humble foreign policy and stop debasing the currency.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icuucme. Show icuucme's posts

Every ten dollar increase in a barrel of oil translates to a 19 cent rise in gasoline; adds a 1/2 percentage point to inflation; results in 100, 000 unemployed and cuts growth in consumer spending by 1/3 of a percenatge point.

We need an alternative energy source...........and quickly.

The government needs to fund an alternative energy program like the Manhattan Project, with lots of money and the top scientists in the country.

Work to bring ITER on line in 20 years (or sooner) instead of the projected 40 years it will take.

http://www.iter.org/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Better solution, renownce your American citizenship, recede your property from the nation and set up your own nation.� If it was possible

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parvanites. Show parvanites's posts

I cant argue with someone who thinks 40 billion a quarter is appropriate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parvanites. Show parvanites's posts

I don'h HAVE to buy an ipod.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Where can I find this magic "made in America" store that is still easy on my wallet in these tough financial times?

Exactly. Great point. The "buy American", while a nice sentiment, is pretty much empty words.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Perhaps we should invade Venezuela and take their oil and coffee beans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parvanites. Show parvanites's posts

You're right in the literal sense.� How about you go home and turn off your heat tonight.� Leave your car in the driveway and walk to work from now on.� Are you seriously sugggesting�that we don't have to buy gasoline, heating oil, bread and other necessities?� We don't� "need "to buy an ipod but we do need to keep�our children warm in winter.� It is shameful that a tank of heating oil now costs over $900.00.� Ten years ago it was$165.00.� That's progress.�There are prople out there dying because they can't afford heating oil.� They didn't HAVE to rely on a cheap space heater to keep warm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Agreed with much of what you said .. except for the section on fresh air. The major cities in Europe are just as polluted� as ours, and central and eastern Europe are much more polluted.

If you're thinking merely of Scandanavia, I agree.�

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

I don'h HAVE to buy an ipod.

Ah, so what it comes down to is ONLY those companies that you don't HAVE to buy from can make all the profits they want. But any company you HAVE to buy from can't. Does that pretty much sum it up?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

You don't think your rent covers the cost of heat???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Are you a traveling consultant?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from writergeeknh. Show writergeeknh's posts

I wish instead of paying the trillions for the invasion of Iraq we had put some percentage of that towards a large monetary prize for whomever comes up with the best new energy technology. Imagine if we could be free from our slavery to oil. No being victims of the whims of those who supply and distribute. No need to drill in protected lands. Maybe it would be a clean, renewable energy source, the production of which creates jobs in America, for Americans.

You can blame OPEC, Exxon, Bush, whomever you want. But we're the junkies, we purchase the gas guzzlers, we supply the demand. And we continue to pay...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from writergeeknh. Show writergeeknh's posts

Hard to do when all manufacturing is outsourced. Also people would have to stop shopping in the Christmas Tree shops and Walmart.