Parade, primary conflict?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

OK. I know most people don't want to talk about it for fear of a jinx. But city officials and� media organizations need to plan ahead. If the Patriots end up winning the Super Bowl, a victory parade will likely be scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 5, the same day of the presidential primary.

Some are concerned that this will be a nightmare. While others say Boston is a world-class city that can handle it.

What do you think? Should officials try to pick another day?

Read the article will likely be scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 5, the same day of the presidential primary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from morecowbell. Show morecowbell's posts

I think�the city can handle it.� Assuming the Pats win (I hope!!), the parade only lasts a few hours, during the time when most people are at work. The polls are open all day.� I'm sure that the 4 or 5 people who actually bother to vote in the primaries (sad, but true), will not be too inconvenienced.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcsteve20. Show mcsteve20's posts

The fact that English High students are writing letters is pretty much the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Most of them can't vote, can't write and can't pass the MCAS...let's get our priorities straight.

As far as the parade goes, a parade on election day would be foolish. Let's just do some sort of "Victory Rally" down at Gillette Stadium. There is no reason to have it in Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

where was everyone when bush started his war? when thousands of people died in katrina? etc? noone cares about the people or government, get real! give the Pats their glory!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

where was everyone when bush started his war? when thousands of people died in katrina? etc? noone cares about the people or government, get real! give the Pats their glory!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

Why don't they change the voting day from Tuesday to Saturday?� This one simple change would make it far easier for almost everyone to vote.� Most people do not go to work on Saturday so finding time to vote would be much easier.� Voter turnout would increase dramatically.

Why the hell hasn't this been done already?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

where was everyone when bush started his war? when thousands of people died in katrina? etc?�since when�does the government care about the peopel?�get real! give the Pats their glory! teach the kids the constitution. the government even doesn't know what it says, let alone put it into action, and the point of the constitution is that the people do. people will spend more time watching crap on television than voting...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

where was everyone when bush started his war? when thousands of people died in katrina? etc?�since when�does the government care about the peopel?�get real! give the Pats their glory! teach the kids the constitution. the government even doesn't know what it says, let alone put it into action, and the point of the constitution is that the people do. people will spend more time watching crap on television than voting...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joedrumma. Show joedrumma's posts

Pauloz - who is this guy named Noone that you keep mentioning?� No one I know has ever heard of him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vwfille. Show vwfille's posts

Why do we NEED to have a parade????� Officials are acting as if the end of the world would happen if for some reason a parade couldn't be held. I don't really care either way. If people are going to use a vacation day to go see the parade, perhaps they'd be more likely to vote b/c they wouldn't be at work. But, if it's really such an issue and officials think the elections would be jeopardized, just don't have the parade. Duh!� Or have it on Wednesday for anyone who can make it. This isn't such a big crisis. Football is just a game!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

RE: pauloz

OMG!� Britney Spears has escaped from the mental institution and she's posting lunatic rants on the Boston.com message board!�� Someone alert the media!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from borderjumper. Show borderjumper's posts

slow news day ?

This is a non-issue not only because, given that they've not won anything yet , there is no reason to schedule a parade but also because of the reasons cited by others here and because, as a large metro area, Boston can handle two things at once. Some people act like this is a small town in Maine (not that there is anything wrong with small towns in Maine or anywhere else for that matter) instead of a top ten metro area in the US. Time to get over it and adjust to being a big city.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottcolbert. Show scottcolbert's posts

In a perfect world, these two events would be scheduled on different dates.� I am not that much into politics, but I certainly understand the obvious importance of electing the leader of our country for the next four years.� And of course, the primary election date cannot be moved.� So ideally the Patriots Parade would be scheduled on a different day.� But,�several key stars on our team have a commitment to be in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl and these are people we'd definitely want to have with us at the parade (Brady, Moss...etc.).� So I think we just need to step it up and be the big city that we are and we can do both.� People...the polls are open all day.� If you don't feel like venturing out in downtown Boston during the parade to go the polls, I totally understand.� But, the parade people will be long gone come early evening, and you'll have plenty of time to head to the polls to perform�your civic obligation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dotgirl3. Show dotgirl3's posts

People all over the world are giving their life and theirs and our soldiers' lives for the right to vote.� The very least we can do is honor the day as a voting day and leave the Pats to have another day to celebrate.� Our culture takes our right to vote for granted, just look at the voter turnout numbers. It's pretty unamerican.� The founding fathers, slaves and suffragists would be disgusted with the current�culture's apathy towards a right so hotly battled for.��

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

come on-this is getting way to much attention.�
    If people are going to vote they will..the parade has nothing to do with it but I must admit I agree with a previous post, they should have it in Foxboro NOT in Boston and another post about where were these kids when the war started,taxes are increasing and people are about to lose their homes??� The City has some nerve spending this amount of time energy and more important money on this "possible" parade when the economy is in such a mess...GO MUMBLES!!!� Thanks for the parade as my neighbors may become homeless.�
    �These kids need to concentrate on their studies, passing the MCAS and putting this energy into something worthwhile.
    NOT that i don't love the patriots (because I do) but really - all this hoop la and the game hasn't started yet.
    Voting WILL happen and the parade may go on - In the old days we refered to something like this as you do what you have to do and arrange your day accordingly, I think these days we call it "multitasking"
    Write letters that will make a difference, not about parades..and by the way - it shouldn't matter seeing they are SUPPOSE to be in school anyway!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

We can't deal with two things on the same day!

Absolutely!� Nobody can chalk and goo wum like Bostonians.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

RE: "voter turnout numbers"

This is why I think elections/voting should be held on Saturday.� This Tuesday business is moronic.

Sections
Shortcuts