Please don't feed the birds!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Please don't feed the birds!

Criminal charge issued at 80-year-old Lynn woman

LYNN — A Lynn District Court assistant magistrate decided this morning to issue criminal charges against Claire Butcher, 80, charging her with violating a No Trespass Order issued against her by city officials in 2009 because she refused to stop feeding the ducks and geese at Flax Pond.

The magistrate made the decision during a short hearing behind closed doors.

Butcher wouldn't commit to stop feeding the birds, even after the assistant magistrate issued her decision.

“The birds at the pond don't belong to the city, they belong to God,” Butcher said following the hearing.

City officials say Butcher's mass feeding of the birds has created a public health nuisance because the ducks and geese litter the pond and a nearby park with feces.

Read the complete story in Thursday's Daily Item.

ShareThis

Sharing this page …

Thanks! Close

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from junglerunner. Show junglerunner's posts

Re: Please don't feed the birds!

Birds are People Too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2011/12/20/news/news12.txt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

This lady is crazy and went beyond what the average person considers normal. People don't realize they do more harm than good in feeding wild animals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Charges dropped!             http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2012/01/13/breaking_news/breakingnews09.txt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Personally feeding birds is ok. Maybe a 3-4 oz bag of food max. Just how many birds will live on 3-4 oz of whatever a day. I think a lot of food is too much. But some is ok.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from junglerunner. Show junglerunner's posts

I go to Lynn to feed the birds just so I can tell the Lynner's in my office that I did.Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Please don't feed the birds!:
    [QUOTE]Well I am glad they decided not to waste the public resources to put an 80 year old on probation for feeding birds.... ...but I get their stance. They had an order against her doing it, and probably for a good reason. Perhaps it was attracting so many birds that feces littered the park and people stopped using the park. I don't know. I at least assume the judge had a good reason to order an old woman not to feed birds.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

That is what I am thinking. I used to have a neighbor who like to feed the geese. Within a couple of weeks a few geese turned into dozens..and the results were not so pleasant. Not to mention..they were certainly not shy. I hope this woman got the resources she needed. She clearly was not fully functioning.