Pothole problems

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Pothole problems

The Boston Globe is reporting that heavy rain, hard freezes and a round of thawing have created potholes around the city that are causing problems for drivers.

Do you think the potholes are worse than usual? Where? Share your pothole stories....

Read the article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisse343. Show chrisse343's posts

Pothole problems

Yes! I hit one in Newton this year. I tried to go around it but it got me and my tire anyways. I know it is to be expected this time of year though...I've lived in MA long enough! The pothole got a few other people that night too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ameizing. Show ameizing's posts

Pothole problems

The expressway northbound, far right lane, around exit 14 (Morrissey Boulevard)� is just one huge pothole.� The bottom of the exit ramp is just as bad.� I'm sure there will be a series of flat tires there soon enough that will really screw up traffic in that area.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pmassari. Show pmassari's posts

Pothole problems

I've never seen the roads in such terrible condition. Driving down from Salem through the Fenway and Boston's Longwood Medical Area into Brookline, there are some absolute CRATERS. Really dangerous. Also, North Harvard Street up by the Stadium and Harvard Business School is simply not fit for driving in anything other than an ATV. It's outrageous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icuucme. Show icuucme's posts

Pothole problems

It's the worse I can remember in some time. Even the sidestreets have big potholes, not just the main roads. It's like playing dodgeball on the road, except with potholes instead of dodgeballs!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dave1986. Show dave1986's posts

Pothole problems

�� The thing that strikes me is most of these roads were a mess in the fall, before the snow/freeze/melt happened.� They were covered with patches from construction and previous winters and the low cost, temporary patches seem particularly prone to potholes once the winter weather comes.� Every year the weather gets blamed, but if the roads entered the winter in decent shape, they'd have a much better chance of getting through it well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pothole problems

Yes. This is the ONLY State that has potholes....oh the humanity!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from way2tall6. Show way2tall6's posts

Pothole problems

The potholes on Salem Street in the North End are horrendous!� Luckily, I don't drive, but as I walk down the street every day on my way to work, I feel bad for anyone who does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomar8477. Show nomar8477's posts

Pothole problems

Route 18 in Weymouth may be the worst road in the state. I drive all over..but obviously havent driven on all roads...but nothing even compares to the brutal potholes on Rt 18. Unfortunately I have to use it everyday to get home...and my tires are taking a beating. Avoid it at all costs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsample. Show samsample's posts

Pothole problems

With all the construction and the refusal of the city to address the problem, it's now no longer an "inconvenience" it's downright dangerous.

Try riding a bike down any city street. The cars don't give an inch and you have no choice but do an endo after hitting a tire sized crater.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

Pothole problems

Who's to blame?? It's Bill Clinton and all you liberals!! You guys gave a safe haven to potholes and now theyre all flooding onto our once proud Massachusetts streets. You've destroyed the sanctity of roads.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from drahcir. Show drahcir's posts

Pothole problems

This problem is very easy to understand.� The road plowing crews do a great job of plowing and sanding - too great a job.� They continue to ride up and down the roads with those huge steel blades lowered long after there is any snow left to plow.� They spend hours plowing bare asphalt.� They beat up the roads brutally, with the blades catching any irregularity and tearing up the asphalt.� Imagine if you are a guy who shaves with a razor blade, and you keep dragging the razor over your face for twenty minutes.� Your skin would look like our roads.� But as long as these road crews make that kind of overtime, and as long as the citizens and politicians demand roads without a single flake of snow on them, this is what will happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from will76. Show will76's posts

Pothole problems

The Expressway going north in the far right lane at both Morrissey Blvd and getting onto Exit 20-Mass Pike/South Station/Logan. I have adapted though and traveld in the lane next to it though, but they are minefields and surpirised they have not been fully addressed yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocket8. Show rocket8's posts

Pothole problems

This is the second time I've seen this article in boston.com this year, what�good does it do writtnig about it???�The repair jobs and crew are pathetic and do a horrible job of� quick fix on the holes, basically they just dump it in the hole and pat it down then thats it..most of the time its now a bump instead of a hole. I'm hoping boston.com can foward peoples resposes to city hall or the state house instead of just writing about the problems, they must have some connections with�the local govt�as to peoples complete anger along with peoples cars getting messed up, you think just tires are getting ruined?. Year after year it goes on. I've gotten flats in previous years due to the pathetic situations that the mayor or governor don't care about. Hope Menino or Patrick blow tires and feel the anger we do, then and only then they'll have a true plan on how to really solve the problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Pothole problems

Now wouldn't this be a great subject for a boston.com commercial!��� Maybe along the liens of someone buying a brand new car and then�they can't wait to take it out for a spin�driving through the streets of Boston on the smooth, perfectly paved roads.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

Pothole problems

I too travel on the 2nd lane from the right between exit 18 and 20 on I-93N.� The far right lane is horrific, not only are there a bunch of craters, it's all rocky/pebbly as well

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdonner. Show cdonner's posts

Pothole problems

It is not�heavy rain, hard freezes and a round of thawing that causes pot holes.Instead, it is cheap and inadequate (for the climate) road construction methods with blacktop about half the thickness it needs to be, and then it is poorly maintained and operated snow�plows ripping it up again.If roads are built better to begin with, less money needs to be spent on maintenance - overall a much better deal - but unfortunately not a concept you can easily sell to your average local politician.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenneycee. Show jenneycee's posts

Pothole problems

I was a victim of Newton potholes as well.......after hitting one, I drove for about a mile and had a blowout on Soldier's Field Rd!�� Cost me 4 new tires.......and then I hit one again, in a different spot the very next day!!!!� UGH!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Pothole problems

Agree! A combo of both perhaps but I notice New Hampshire and Maine build better roads using better materials.� Frost heaves create the bumps that allow the roads to expand and contract and this eliminates most of the pot hole problems that plague Mass. The Lynnway� going north and south still has some old pot holes from past years and now add this winter and it is like playing Dodge the Pot Holes every day. When the holes are repaired, the patches are so bad it is similar to driving on railroad ties.�� Yes, our hard earned tax dollars at work!�

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pothole problems

I see. So you have knowledge of every state in the Us that every other state but MA fixes potholes. Sigh...

Funny but I see patches in the street where potholes used to be. To say "MA is the only state that does very little to fix them." is just not 100% true.

Sections
Shortcuts