Proud to be Catholic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irish-lad. Show Irish-lad's posts

Re: Proud to be Catholic?

It's a religion. It's not a matter of "pride", but a matter of faith. Now the administration of this religion is another matter. Time to really clean house!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from novemberrose. Show novemberrose's posts

I'm appalled at the realization that our religious leaders knew all along but hid the sins of their priests behind the secret veil of the church. What gave them the audacity to ignore, deny, lie and hide the truth from their unsuspecting followers? Like sheep, we obeyed, confessing OUR sins to avoid hell-fire and damnation, while the priests were keeping dark secrets of their own...guess their priests were immune from the penalty of sin?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic?:
    [QUOTE]I'm appalled at the realization that our religious leaders knew all along but hid the sins of their priests behind the secret veil of the church. What gave them the audacity to ignore, deny, lie and hide the truth from their unsuspecting followers? Like sheep, we obeyed, confessing OUR sins to avoid hell-fire and damnation, while the priests were keeping dark secrets of their own...guess their priests were immune from the penalty of sin?
    Posted by novemberrose[/QUOTE]

So the ultimate leader of the church, god, did nothing. He just sat back and let it all happen! In full knowledge of what was going on (omnipresent, right?). Not like he didn't have any powers to stop it either (omnipotent). For thousands of years he just watched it all play out, like a voyeur. 
    The pope is small fry next to this guy. I say he has his share in the blame-game too. 

"What gave them the audacity to ignore, deny, lie and hide the truth from their unsuspecting followers?". 
    Well, I had no idea the followers were like shareholders in a company with a bottom-up approach (no pun intended). I thought a church was a top-down approach i.e. those in power tell the little guys what to do, and have no need to explain anything to anyone. Is that not what a religion is? Or do we vote in our religious leaders and gods at an annual meeting?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]The Catholic church was formed by the Romans. They saw money to be made, with an easier control. Same with all the rest, power ego ,money.  Bishops (CEO) had young lovers since the beginning around 300 AD ? Monks in Austria 800 AD were given young boys as helpers/lovers to help write scripter?
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

But they were also allowed to marry back then.

The catholic church emerged out of a broader church. Initially it was divided into major bishoprics. At some point the Bishop of Rome claimed primacy over the others and that resulted in the schism.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DorisAubHeb. Show DorisAubHeb's posts

Yes, I am proud to be a Catholic.  I was born a Catholic, and despite all the scandals and abuses in my church, I hope to die a Catholic.  The Church is more than men, it is about faith and God.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RuebenJames. Show RuebenJames's posts

Interesting question.  I was born a Catholic.  Went to public schools for a while and then went to a very good Catholic School in Fitchburg for several years.  This was back in the 1940s.  The Nuns used to beat up on me when I was in their care.  But I made it through the night.
    I went back to the public high school and was allowed to run rampant with little
    restraint.  I failed to get a diploma.
    When I was at St Bernard's grammar school they would have us pass out printed material about "birth control" to those arriving for various Masses, etc.  I had no idea what they were talking about.  I think I do now.
    I remember the wonderful Nuns, most of whom I was afraid, explaining to me the wonders of the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc.  And, of course, the wonders of the history of our great country.
    I am proud to be a Catholic.  If I was a Jew I would be proud to be a Jew.  I find this exercize a waste of time.  But, at 74, I still have a few moments to waste. Have a nice day.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Isn't Pride one of the 7 deadly sins?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cardiff. Show Cardiff's posts

Objective researchers have agreed that Catholics, priests or otherwise, are no more and no less likely to sexually exploit young people than a similar number of clergy or lay people from other denominations and less likely than male schoolteachers. 
        There were huge problems in the '70s and '80s when some, not all, bishops believed psychologists and psychiatrists who claimed to be able to 'cure' perpetrators if they spent time in the expensive residential centers that those 'experts' were running.  Now that church administrators have lost their naive trust in those psychologists, children and teenagers are safer at parish activities than they are at school or other group activities.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Council of Elvira, held around A.D. 305 near Granada, Spain. The precise history is complicated, but the council is traditionally believed to have set down 81 rules for behavior, the 71st of which is: "Those who sexually abuse boys may not commune even when death approaches." It was the harshest one-strike policy: If you're caught abusing a child, you are not only laicized, but permanently excommunicated—damned for all time....:

How come a bunch of humans on a committee can get together and decide who gets into heaven? I honestly don't think they have that power, do you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Council of Elvira, held around  A.D. 305  near Granada, Spain . The precise history is complicated, but the council is traditionally believed to have set down 81  rules for behavior , the 71st of which is:  "Those who sexually abuse boys may not commune even when death approaches."  It was the harshest one-strike policy:  If you're caught abusing a child, you are not only laicized, but permanently excommunicated—damned for all time....: How come a bunch of humans on a committee can get together and decide who gets into heaven? I honestly don't think they have that power, do you?
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

Bunch of humans on a cmmittee deciding whe gets int oheaven?  Sure.  Haven't you heard of Obama's death panels?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic? : Bunch of humans on a cmmittee deciding whe gets int oheaven?  Sure.  Haven't you heard of Obama's death panels?
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Um, no. Never heard of that. Do explain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

I'm proud to be anti-Catholic!

Then again, I never considered Catholisism a religion.  It was born a socio-political force to ensure the survival of Jesuits persecuted from a failing empire.  You can color it any way you like it, the very fibers of its infrastructure is made of politics; Its strength comes from fear; Its domination seeded from an oligarchal leadership; the propaganda to maintain its numbers liters history with countless stories of re-writing history!

Sounds a lot like the Nazis.  

Sounding more like the Tea Party everyday...  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic? : I can hold my head up as a Catholic, too, but only as I work to rid our Church of the system of child molestation and rape.  This can only be accomplished by the removal of all predators and their protectors, for they should be damned. Unless we act, there will be millions of more victims in the next millennium.  Please tell me how or if you are working to rid our Church of those that have hijacked it for their own evil ends?  This includes Ratzinger.
    Posted by Bopanopawitz[/QUOTE]
    I too am a proud Catholic. I have a very easy answer for this... Withhold $$$. Have a conversation with your pastor. Tell him you will not send a nickel to Boston or Rome but want to support your local parish. Ask for the electric bill or other monthly bill the parish must pay (snow removal in the winter is always welcome) and pay that. I pay the bill directly to the vendor/company and all is good. Several people in my parish have taken this up and we split the bills and the parish is strong while giving little $$ to Boston or Rome.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]The Catholic church was formed by the Romans. They saw money to be made, with an easier control. Same with all the rest, power ego ,money.  Bishops (CEO) had young lovers since the beginning around 300 AD ? Monks in Austria 800 AD were given young boys as helpers/lovers to help write scripter?
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

So, Rome was the rock upon which Jesus built his church?  Not Peter?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic? : So the ultimate leader of the church, god, did nothing. He just sat back and let it all happen! In full knowledge of what was going on (omnipresent, right?). Not like he didn't have any powers to stop it either (omnipotent). For thousands of years he just watched it all play out, like a voyeur.  The pope is small fry next to this guy. I say he has his share in the blame-game too.  "What gave them the audacity to ignore, deny, lie and hide the truth from their unsuspecting followers?".  Well, I had no idea the followers were like shareholders in a company with a bottom-up approach (no pun intended). I thought a church was a top-down approach i.e. those in power tell the little guys what to do, and have no need to explain anything to anyone. Is that not what a religion is? Or do we vote in our religious leaders and gods at an annual meeting?
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

Faith is impossible without free will.  God watches in painful agony at our choices, but does not stop it.  Not because he can't, but because to do so removes our free will to love and praise him freely.  It can't be both ways, just stop the bad stuff and let the good people have "free will."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic? : Faith is impossible without free will.  God watches in painful agony at our choices, but does not stop it.  Not because he can't, but because to do so removes our free will to love and praise him freely.  It can't be both ways, just stop the bad stuff and let the good people have "free will."
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Oh well next time I see an innocent kid with leukemia I'll be sure to let them know its their fault for making a bad choice?! 
    There is no way to reconcile free-will with a divine-plan. Things either happen randomly and you respond in a free-willed way, or you are somehow controlled behind the scenes by a puppetmaster stacking the odds one way or another. 
    Can't have it both ways. 
    If free will exists then god can never answer anyones prayers, or the answer always has to be "no". 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And illness is part of the world because of the free will of man that caused the initial Fall from perfect grace in the beginning.  No, the child didn't choose leukemia, the world is just cursed by Sin because of free will.

And, your debate about free will being in oppostion to answered prayer is a debate of the theological ages not to be settled here if nowhere else.  Predestination is a hottly debated topic in seminaries and has been forever.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]And illness is part of the world because of the free will of man that caused the initial Fall from perfect grace in the beginning.  No, the child didn't choose leukemia, the world is just cursed by Sin because of free will. And, your debate about free will being in oppostion to answered prayer is a debate of the theological ages not to be settled here if nowhere else.  Predestination is a hottly debated topic in seminaries and has been forever.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe all that or you pulling my chain?
    I'm now imagining you there with a crackpipe!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do know and believe Scripture.  And, have a math degree from BU.  And, was a software engineer 12 years.  No one can call me illogical...well, they can, but they'd be wrong.