Proud to be Catholic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Proud to be Catholic?

Oh,
    I had assumed that most people believed in the "spirit" of religion thesedays, rather than word-for-word literal belief. 
    Wow. Truly wow.
    That explains a lot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic?:
    Oh, I had assumed that most people believed in the "spirit" of religion thesedays, rather than word-for-word literal belief.  Wow. Truly wow. That explains a lot. 
    Posted by plasko

I doubt you've read enough of it to have what I'd consider a valid opinion about a word-for-word belief.  There's a lot of pop culture disinformation out there about what the Bible supposedly says.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Proud to be Catholic? : Um, no. Never heard of that. Do explain.
    Posted by plasko

Death panels, as in Bewrwick's death panels.  As in the recent medical legislation that the democrats don't want broadcast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucysandini. Show lucysandini's posts

I am very proud! Your post reminded me to send them a donation. Thanks!Wink

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Forced to be Catholic - prefer to call myself non-denominational.  I believe there is something...just don't know what it is and have learned that the Catholic church is just out to make money.   Never will forget the day a monsignor came to my mother's hospital room.  We were just told she had leukemia and he had the nerve to say "Mary, where have you been, we haven't received your check in quite some time"  Well that's when you lost me!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolo107. Show carolo107's posts

Why would anyone be when the church is so agreeable about covering up and condoning rape of children?  And then in the same breath feels they have the right to tell you that you can not use child birth and make YOU feel wrong that you are taking responsibly by not bringing more children into your family you may not want nor can afford. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EVASION. Show EVASION's posts

Proud?  NO

Who do you know became a willing particpant in Catholocism.  I was dragged in kicking and screaming.

I dont practice, and cant stand finger wavers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

I was baptisted Roman-Catholic.....raised Roman-Catholic and will die under heaven as Roman-Catholic.....I am not ashamed to be Roman-Catholic.....I love being Roman-Catholic!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

A very tongue-in-cheek response but does the fact that this has been going on for thousands of years not make it "traditional"?
    If so many religious people are against gay marriage because "traditionally" it was defined between a manand woman for thousands of years then you absolutely, by the same token, accept that child molestation is also traditional and be happy with that status-quo too.

Or do I smell hypocrisy?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There's a chasm of difference between traditional and Scriptural if, like the Church, one believes that Scripture is God-breathed and supernatural, not merely man-written prose that has become religious tradition.  Granted, that line is VERY blurry in the Catholic Church and is one reason I'm not Catholic.  And, obviously, if you personally do not make the distinction between myth/tradition/religion and the Bible itself, it's, of course, all the same, and your tongue-in-cheek argument holds the little bit of water you intended it to hold.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

There's a chasm of difference between traditional and Scriptural if , like the Church, one believes that Scripture is God-breathed and supernatural, not merely man-written prose that has become religious tradition.  Granted, that line is VERY blurry in the Catholic Church and is one reason I'm not Catholic.  And, obviously, if you personally do not make the distinction between myth/tradition/religion and the Bible itself, it's, of course, all the same, and your tongue-in-cheek argument holds the little bit of water you intended it to hold.
    Posted by kargiver

Indeed you are right. I make no distinction between belief in gods or fairies at the bottom of the garden. The evidence for both is the same, and its only based on personal choice of belief that more people believe in one over the other. I was thinking of bringing up the flying spaghetti monster too, but thats for another day and thread as this is already a sidetrack from the original post (that said the original post is repeated 4000 times everyday by the crazy BeantownBopawitz, so I don't feel bad for hijacking this one). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What you must think, Plasko, about an analytical, coherant, logic-driven person who is capable of not only understanding but reasonably debating your positions who also believes that the Bible is God-breathed.  You might reason that the latter belief alone makes me a fruitcake, but I provide you ample evidence to the contrary, now, don't I?  Evidence is relative, my friend.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

What you must think, Plasko, about an analytical, coherant, logic-driven person who is capable of not only understanding but reasonably debating your positions who also believes that the Bible is God-breathed.  You might reason that the latter belief alone makes me a fruitcake, but I provide you ample evidence to the contrary, now, don't I?  Evidence is relative, my friend.
    Posted by kargiver

LOL. Nah, I know plenty of people who can be quite objective until their emotions get in the way then its subjective all the way, regardless of what's in front of them. If I could be like that I would choose to re-believe in santa claus. That kept me happy as a kid, and I'd like some more of the same. I am completely sure that it must be comforting to believe in a god, but I just can't do it. I see the holes in the religions, that people gloss over with emotions. It would drive me nuts and I would end up questioning everything anyhow. Its probably best for me and religions that we are kept far apart!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I suppose I can let you rationalize that I must be driven by my emotions, which by their nature are often irrational, for this area of my life to keep your own life view working for you.  Besides, any argument will sound like an overly emotional response so I'm at a disadvantage.  However, for whatever it's worth (likely nothing), you're mistaken about me and how I arrive at conclusions, theological ones or otherwise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pgcat103. Show pgcat103's posts

Yes , I am proudd to be Catholic. A few men, who had abused the system for ther own deviant needs will be punished by a greater authority than man. Do not forget the Church is run by men, human men with human frailities.I do believe that to abuse a child is worse than anything including murder. I do belive that Parish money belongs in the Parish not The Vatican

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts