Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Q. Show -Q's posts

Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!

If there is any one action voters can take on 11/2 that will have an immediate and positive effect on the people of our Commonwealth and our economic well being - it is the ability and opportunity to repeal the alcohol tax and reduce the sales tax to 3.0%.
    The gloom and doomsayers are AGAIN threatening the very services that keep our communities safe, educating our children and continue providing municipal services.
    In the 1980's we had the very same threats and impending doom predicticted when voters passed Prop2 1/2 and all the threats were unfounded.
    I would suggest to you today that we as a people can and should cut the tax $$$ drug line to "Bacon Hill".
    The choices are clear:
    will the people vote for the front-line service providers and give relief to consumers by repealing the alcohol tax and reducing the sales tax
    or will the people vote for the status quo and allow the bloated overpaid administrative staffs to continue sucking the life out of ALL of our communities

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

Re: Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!

In Response to Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!:
    If there is any one action voters can take on 11/2 that will have an immediate and positive effect on the people of our Commonwealth and our economic well being - it is the ability and opportunity to repeal the alcohol tax and reduce the sales tax to 3.0%. The gloom and doomsayers are AGAIN threatening the very services that keep our communities safe, educating our children and continue providing municipal services. In the 1980's we had the very same threats and impending doom predicticted when voters passed Prop2 1/2 and all the threats were unfounded. I would suggest to you today that we as a people can and should cut the tax $$$ drug line to "Bacon Hill". The choices are clear: will the people vote for the front-line service providers and give relief to consumers by repealing the alcohol tax and reducing the sales tax or will the people vote for the status quo and allow the bloated overpaid administrative staffs to continue sucking the life out of ALL of our communities
    Posted by -Q

I agree about the unfounded threats.  Perfect example: there is construction going on at a major intersection in my town.  Every morning when I drive through this intersection, there are 10 cops standing around chatting to the construction guys or to the other cops.  The point here is that they are making damn good money to just sit there, chat, and not even direct the traffic (which is why they are there).  This boggles my mind because anytime anyone mentions a desire to have taxes cut someone always pipes up about "what services we would like to lose" yet I see examples of wasted tax dollars all around me on a daily basis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Re: Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!

This question 3 is a moot point. None of you are smart enough to have read it and know nothing of history or law. If this question passes nothing may happen. Why you might ask. Because it is not legal to have a question that changes the actual budjet. Read the question it has an escape clause. The legislature is the sole body allowed to change the fiscal reality. The vote means nothing. Happy voting fools. Next time try getting a force behind the legislature for foolish ideas like this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Q. Show -Q's posts

hey swizzel thats why you have to look and study your local budget - there you will find you tax dollar savings (lol)  its not always the front line service provider that has to go but maybe its the management team that needs to go so that day-to-day services continue unabated - these are the choice your elected officials have to make and it is your responsibility to make sure they honor your wishes as a voter!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

In Response to Re: Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!:
    hey swizzel thats why you have to look and study your local budget - there you will find you tax dollar savings (lol)  its not always the front line service provider that has to go but maybe its the management team that needs to go so that day-to-day services continue unabated - these are the choice your elected officials have to make and it is your responsibility to make sure they honor your wishes as a voter!
    Posted by -Q

Q,
    Fool have you even looked at your town budget ever? Your property taxes do not pay the full bill. Day to day services get cut because the money from the state pays for schools first. So cut the state money. You are mandated to pay for schools whether the state gives you money or not. Tough hole to be in. You will have to fire police, fire and town workers to pay for schools. Every time this comes up the same problem. On this board the same issue when another newbie shows up with a plan. But no common sense. So cut your town budget by 8% to 15% on jan 1 2011(that would makeup for money that comes in during the year but that money will be cut mid budget). Think that will not hit the state fund to repay plowing contractors? Town services? Thats ok Your meds will make you forget that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I wonder what would happen if the cut the sales tax and alcohol tax? 

The only items on the state budget that can be really cut are Education and Local Aid.  I suppose they could cut both, but I would imagine there would be a slight increase in income taxes to off-set the reduction in revenue from the sales tax.  Of course, the increase in income tax won't be enough to cover the cut in sales tax so I would expect cuts in local aid and education.  Teacher lay-offs, police lay-offs, firefighter lay-offs (they already laid off the librarian).  And I suppose an increase in property taxes.

By the way, was anybody hurt by the increase in the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%.  I certainly feel it when I get a large soda from McDonald's and it cost $2.02 instead of $2.00. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from liamaidan. Show liamaidan's posts

Well, see what happened to California - http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/kamiya/2009/07/02/california

If you want  the high quality of life we enjoy, you have to pay for it. I am sure there is significant waste that can be trimmed from state and federal government, but this is not the way to do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheThinker. Show TheThinker's posts

I'm writing regarding the proposed sales tax decrease.  I moved to Massachusetts from the State of Indiana this year.  One thing I noticed, right away, was that the taxes in Massachusetts are better than in Indiana.  Yes, the "liberal" Democratic commonwealth of "taxachusetts" tax rates were better than the "conservative" Republican State of Indiana.  Do people in Massachusetts pay more taxes than people in Indiana?  Yes, but it's only due to people having higher property values and incomes in Massachusetts.  If property values and incomes were the same in Massachusetts as in Indiana than people would pay less taxes in Massachusetts.  People in Massachusetts pay less tax OVERALL  as a percentage of their income than people in Indiana.  That being said, I noticed that Massachusetts has better schools and mass transit systems that put Indiana to shame.  It has become my perception that Massachusetts folks (which now includes myself) pay less tax OVERALL as a percentage of their income and wealth but get better public programs.  One aspect of this is sales tax.  In Indiana, sales tax is 7%, and it has been that way for a few years now.  Also, people in Indiana pay sales tax on clothes regardless of whether it is above or below $150.  At first glance, it would appear that people in Massachusetts pay a higher income tax, but when you add in the COUNTY income taxes of Indiana, you see that it balances out.   Anyhow, with that in mind, I look at the Massachusetts State budget, and I see there is a deficit, and I see that the sales tax was raised for the purpose of increasing funding for schools.  So, if that was a major purpose of raising the sales tax does that mean Massachusetts will cut the help it gives local communities in education?  If that is the case, I would argue that would potentially take away one of the things that makes Massachusetts such a great place to live.  You folks clearly take education seriously here in Massachusetts.  Don't start cutting away at that, especially, in a time when government budgets are running deficits. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

In Response to Re: Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear!:
    This question 3 is a moot point. None of you are smart enough to have read it and know nothing of history or law. If this question passes nothing may happen. Why you might ask. Because it is not legal to have a question that changes the actual budjet. Read the question it has an escape clause. The legislature is the sole body allowed to change the fiscal reality. The vote means nothing. Happy voting fools. Next time try getting a force behind the legislature for foolish ideas like this.
    Posted by topaz978

Actually we all know that beacon hill will ignore what we vote for they do it all the time. you don't have to be smart to know this, actually you pretty much have to be an idiot to think you are the only one that knows it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

In Response to Re: Repeal of alcohol tax and reduction of sales tax from 6.25% to 3.0% is the signal Beacon Hill needs to hear! : Actually we all know that beacon hill will ignore what we vote for they do it all the time. you don't have to be smart to know this, actually you pretty much have to be an idiot to think you are the only one that knows it.
    Posted by shumirules

Thanks shim,
    Good to know that I can get a response from you by using the s word.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

I wonder what would happen if the cut the sales tax and alcohol tax?  The only items on the state budget that can be really cut are Education and Local Aid.  I suppose they could cut both, but I would imagine there would be a slight increase in income taxes to off-set the reduction in revenue from the sales tax.  Of course, the increase in income tax won't be enough to cover the cut in sales tax so I would expect cuts in local aid and education.  Teacher lay-offs, police lay-offs, firefighter lay-offs (they already laid off the librarian).  And I suppose an increase in property taxes. By the way, was anybody hurt by the increase in the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%.  I certainly feel it when I get a large soda from McDonald's and it cost $2.02 instead of $2.00. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

That is your problem Dirty! There are HUNDREDS of things BESIDES local aid and education to cut in the state budget. The legislature has always put those two on the chopping block because they cause hysteria. They could cut pensions, freeze salaries, cut benefits and cut state employees. They won't because they will have to face those people at Thanksgiving dinner! It is broken and the only way we can affect change is to starve them of what they live on, OUR MONEY!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Cut the taxes. I remember the last time such a question passed and I remember one 'King' Tom Finneran standing on stage with the rest of the stoolies known as the Mass Legistature saying John Q. Public didn't know how to take care of himself and as such he could not allow the vote to pass.
     Need I remind anyone that King Tom is now facing trial in a federal court. 

Since then, John Q. Public has had to make the tough choices and cuts to their life to make ends meet. Time to make the legislature do the same, and if that means I have to stand up and take care of my own behind, as opposed to holding out my hands and hoping for a free dime from the government, so be it. I'm not afraid of taking care of myself and it's nothing short of a tragedy that so many people seem to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from meandmyownself. Show meandmyownself's posts

There are plenty of items that can be cut.  Besides the no show and do nothing jobs we can look into bringing State pay in line with the private sector.  Maybe state workers can stop getting retirement so early with nice pensions (that haven't existed in the private sector for decades) and full health care.  How about flagmen on highway construction?  They could stop mowing highway median strips.  We could bring some sanity to our aid programs and make Obama's aunt get a job.  Instead of buying $30,000, gas guzzling police cruisers we could have them drive $15,000 4 cylinder vehicles, save on gas and the initial purchase.  Cities and towns could investigate the rampant workers comp abuse going on, it's so bad they have at least one full time person processing claims in Boston (the guy who was bagged picking up drugs from Fedex, at 11:00 am, on a workday).  One could go on all day with the waste, abuse, fraud, and foolish spending of our local and state governments.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Q. Show -Q's posts

topaz 978 - fool? 
    not the way to start a debate of an issue - I respect your points of view but to insult another does not make your case.
    Have I looked at my city's budget?
    Yes and I have in various forums clearly showed how Worcester could work with the shortfall culminating from a reduction of the sales tax and the alcohol tax. Which would translate into a $10,000,000 shortfall
    1 - On both the city side and school side of our budget Worcester can cut 100 positions of those making in excess of $100k for a total savings of $10,000,000
    2 - our city council voted unaminously 11-0 for the city manager to implement a full fledged PILOT Program for all non-profits. In Worcester we have $1.7billion in tax excempt assessed properties - if the non-profits voluntarily contributed just 1% of their assessed value Worcester would realize another $17,000,000 in new revenues.
    3 - Terminate all bus service to school children living within 2 miles of their schools while maintaining sped transportation for those in need - this translates into $8,000,000 in savings (being a conservative estimate.
    4 - closing the tele-comm loophole will translate into another $2,000,000 in new revenues.
    These are the top 4 ways I believe we can overcome the projected deficit in state funding that also preserves teachers, firefighters, police officers and public works. These are the frontline service providers who are always used as a "fear monger threat" tool from the doom and gloomsayers stating everything and anything has to be cut - I believe that if my city manager/city council had the testicular fortitude to and courage to make the much needed cuts in our bloated administrative governments Worcester would be much better positioned to weather the impending state aid cuts coming and would allow Worcester more independence from having to rely on state aid to make up a large portion of our budget.
    The total savings/new revenues listed above total $37,000,000 easily covering any state shortfall with an added surplus.
    So topaz 978 would you like to continue insulting people or would you actually like to debate the issue?
    I can continue, if you'd like, explaining how re-arranging our ems/fire dept. services in a new realignment format which could net the city another $10,000,000+ in additional new revenues.........  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

We can cut the brady bill and mandate what construction sites require flagmen instead of police. I have not seen one construction site with flagmen yet. Cops don't get hired if they don't have at least an associates in criminal justice or better. so why are we paying them extra because the got a degree?

The general fund should only hold income tax revenue. No revenue from speeding tickets or court fines or excise taxes or building permit fees or parking fines or especially the registry.

Excise taxes go to the upkeep of the roads period.
    Court costs pay the jury duty and building upkeep etc..
    The brain injury $50 mandatory fine (speeding) goes to healthcare for you guessed it brain injury indigent people.
    Building permit fees go to help pay salaries and maintain a professionally licensed contracting industry.

All of these could be so much more self sufficient if they could budget the monies they know they are generating. Ever drive in your town and the roads are horrible but you just paid $500 in excise taxes? wait in line for hours because you will be arrested if your license expires? Win a speeding case but still have to pay a fine?

We the people need to get the govt's hands out of the cookie jar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I don't know if the legislature could get away with that a second time. It did happen once and the public did nothing, but since then, things have changed.
     I remember a short-lived and quickly covered up news story about a bullet that was shot through a state house window after Patrick proposed the sugar tax. 
     Is it safe to say that 99.9% of the general public wouldn't think of going that far to show their anger? Yes. However, the 99.9% of those people do feel the sentiment. 
     At what point does the public forcefully remind the legislature who's really in control?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Q. Show -Q's posts

The first time around on the vote that resoundingly passed by the citizens of our Commonwealth reducing the income tax to 5% was, as correctly pointed out, ignored by the very people we voted for to represent us.
    That being said, I will wholeheartedly agree with "undead" that there will not be a repeat of that situation where the legislature can ignore the will of the people this time around..........IF THEY DO, I AM ALL FOR WHATEVER INSURRECTION THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO TAKE BACK THE PEOPLES GOVERNMENT!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

T.IF THEY DO, I AM ALL FOR WHATEVER INSURRECTION THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO TAKE BACK THE PEOPLES GOVERNMENT!
    Posted by -Q

WOuld you guys stop it with the threats of revolution and drama. Revolution isn't like larping in the woods. It is painful, bloody and not something you do because you don't like election outcomes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donnieb100. Show donnieb100's posts

Beacon Hill has never allowed the income tax to go to the 5% rate we voted in years ago, so why does everyone think they will just let the sales tax drop?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Q. Show -Q's posts

donnieb - because this time around there is no going back
    donnieb - do feel the times are the same as the last vote taken some years ago to roll back the income tax?

I think there truly is voter anger across the board form the dems,repubs and the unenrolled

last poll i saw (last week)  had both rollback questions with a %10+/- margin of victory

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Q. Show -Q's posts

hey multiple personality disorder forum cleaner - what makes you think I was talking about an armed "insurrection"?

An insurrection can take many forms depending on the desired outcome one chooses..............so why dont you layoff the drama and allow people unfettered free speech without you deciding which views are ok or not

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Something worth pointing out.

In older days (way, way back), there was a word for what King Tom did that day when he denied the people their act of abolishing the income tax. It's called treason, and it's a very serious word.

You don't hear it that often these days. If you do it's always someone selling secrets to a country. It isn't limited to this, though, and that's the problem. 
     Treason is the exact term for what King Tom did. He denied the people their right enact a law that was properly presented on a ballot and voted on by the people.
     The punishment for this, in days of old, was nothing less than hanging.
     Do I suggest that the legislature be hanged? No, I don't, and I'm positive that 99.9% of the population would agree. However, I am also positive that 99.9% of the population will feel compeled to protest in some form if it passes and is denied, and this time, I sence a chance that things may get violent.
     I do not mean that someone may be physically hurt. This could be something as simple as the stage being stormed but you are not going to tell me with a straight face that people these days aren't desperat enough to not take action.
     There are simply too many people out of work, out of a home, out of money, and out of options, for such a senario not to be possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

hey multiple personality disorder forum cleaner - what makes you think I was talking about an armed "insurrection"? An insurrection can take many forms depending on the desired outcome one chooses..............so why dont you layoff the drama and allow people unfettered free speech without you deciding which views are ok or not
    Posted by -Q

Our 3rd President thought we should have one every generation...

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
    The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
    wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
    they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
    it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ..."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

topaz 978 - fool?  not the way to start a debate of an issue - I respect your points of view but to insult another does not make your case. Have I looked at my city's budget? Yes and I have in various forums clearly showed how Worcester could work with the shortfall culminating from a reduction of the sales tax and the alcohol tax. Which would translate into a $10,000,000 shortfall 1 - On both the city side and school side of our budget Worcester can cut 100 positions of those making in excess of $100k for a total savings of $10,000,000 2 - our city council voted unaminously 11-0 for the city manager to implement a full fledged PILOT Program for all non-profits. In Worcester we have $1.7billion in tax excempt assessed properties - if the non-profits voluntarily contributed just 1% of their assessed value Worcester would realize another $17,000,000 in new revenues. 3 - Terminate all bus service to school children living within 2 miles of their schools while maintaining sped transportation for those in need - this translates into $8,000,000 in savings (being a conservative estimate. 4 - closing the tele-comm loophole will translate into another $2,000,000 in new revenues. These are the top 4 ways I believe we can overcome the projected deficit in state funding that also preserves teachers, firefighters, police officers and public works. These are the frontline service providers who are always used as a "fear monger threat" tool from the doom and gloomsayers stating everything and anything has to be cut - I believe that if my city manager/city council had the testicular fortitude to and courage to make the much needed cuts in our bloated administrative governments Worcester would be much better positioned to weather the impending state aid cuts coming and would allow Worcester more independence from having to rely on state aid to make up a large portion of our budget. The total savings/new revenues listed above total $37,000,000 easily covering any state shortfall with an added surplus. So topaz 978 would you like to continue insulting people or would you actually like to debate the issue? I can continue, if you'd like, explaining how re-arranging our ems/fire dept. services in a new realignment format which could net the city another $10,000,000+ in additional new revenues.........  
    Posted by -Q

You can't know what the loss in general funds will be. Yes you can charachterize the possible loss in state funds but the issue is the general fund will be needed to fund federal requirements first. Medicare and medicaid are not state funds that can be cut. A cut in the state spending reduces federal match.  So your dollar per dollar model just won't fly. Which 100 workers from what department are you using to balance your "budget". Your post was short sighted and mine was less than a friendly start to a debate. I apologize.
     Your 2 mile limit for school buses is in violation of state law. Taxing tax exempt property is not legal at the city level. Closing the telecom loophole will result in a higher phone bill. So what is left from your millions of savings?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niceman. Show niceman's posts

a good way to find out about all ballot questions is to watch "conversatION" Tuesday morning at 6am on WBPX/ION, Boston.  They will be talking with people on both sides of all questions.

Sections
Shortcuts