Boy...for me..these last few days have brought constant reminders that life is short..indeed..sometimes too short. Since Friday three people in my and/or my husband's life have passed away. All too young...two unexpected.

So..it was with an already melancholy heart that I heard the news this morning about the passing of the Iron Lady. Margaret Thatcher will go down in history as one of the great leaders of the world. To me...her most valuable accomplishment was the way she set the tone in ending the Cold War and bringing about the end of the Soviet Union.

Many of the stories I've heard about Thatcher's role in this came from a woman who escaped the Soviet Union a few years before the fall. A Russian author and philosopher that I had to good fortune to learn many things from last year.

But for Thatcher's involvement in this process..the world may very well look quite different today. Thatcher brought true leadership and a woman's relationship building perspective to the crisis and became someone whom then President Reagan trusted implicitly.

Thatcher, a grocer's daughter, became a role model for girls and women everywhere. Although one may not have always agreed with her politics or her methods..history will no doubt be very kind to her and rightfully so. Thatcher was a fearless and courageous leader, preferring to do what she felt was right..rather than what was politically expedient or beneficial. She once said "If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at anytime, and you would achieve nothing"

RIP