Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SchwillyPete. Show SchwillyPete's posts

Re: Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes

William O'Connell ran over a man with his speed boat in Edgartown Harbor on July 4th, 2002 and then fled the scene of the crime while that person died.

The Coast Guard chased him accross Vineyard Sound where he was arrested and found to be drunk.

He also fought against affordable housing for Vineyard residents while petitioning to have a helicopter pad built on his property.

This family is what is wrong with this country. I hope the justice system does us all a favor and "removes" this one from our society.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pan8. Show pan8's posts

Boblat, you sound like a crazy person with a grudge against the police. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes : So basically it's just your opinion. That's what I thought but thanks for clarifying. I too have driven in other states. Ever been to Chicago? Worse than Boston. Have good friends who live there who are from Boston. They also say Chicago is worse. Ever been to L.A.? Ever driven on the highways there? Please. Brutal drivers there. Bad drivers are everywhere. Road rage is everywhere. Get over your hatred for MA and MA cops.
    Posted by hawkeye01[/QUOTE]

Heck, go to RI and they are the worst on the Eastern seaboard. They get on the HW at 30MPH and go right into the passing lane.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like both drivers might have been acting like immature idiots.  ? drinking involved.  No need for homocide though.  O'connell's from a wealthy connected family.  Shouldn't have to do much time.  Hope the other makes it ok.  A tragedy all around.
    Posted by careman[/QUOTE]

drinking involved
    Close, coke in FF system and car. Coke rage?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]Don't blame the Officers (State) They're  following orders. They are only supposed to stop dangerous drivers, not speeders. Now! what is a dangerous in MA. This order started about 25 yrs ago, after the officer was shot.
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

"They are only supposed to stop dangerous drivers, not speeders."

Speeding IS dangerous driving. I know plenty of people who've been pulled over for speeding. Me being one of them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

[QUOTE]Don't blame the Officers (State) They're  following orders. They are only supposed to stop dangerous drivers, not speeders. Now! what is a dangerous in MA. This order started about 25 yrs ago, after the officer was shot.
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

Flat out refusal to enforce traffic laws has been going on for a century not 25 years.  I was first scared stiff by tailgaiting when I got my license at 16 which is quite a bit more than 25 years ago.  And there is nothing not dangerous about tailgaiting.

In any case, the stateys cannot do the job alone.

Cambridge and Brookline look like they are enforcing some traffic laws to some sort of extent.  Is any other community?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

[QUOTE]Ah yes, shooting the guy behind is a traffic law enforcement issue. How's life on Vector Nebullah?  I hear the pink sky is gorgeous this time of year
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

No, shooting the guy behind is what happens in a world without laws or law enforcement.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sagenistic. Show sagenistic's posts

If you are driving at a proper speed or the speed of the traffic in front of you then you don't have to worry about what others think. But if you are driving 15 in a 30 per hour zone, then you should be shot on the spot(just kidding). Just pay attention to the road and stop : eating, reading, texting or some other dumb thing.
       For those who hate people who drive fast and tailgate you and trying to rush you. I have a couple of great solutions.
       1. If you have a friend with you, have them take a picture or video cam phone, then take it to the police.
       2. Put your emergency lights on and drive slower than the Comcast turtles.
       3. If you have a friend riding with you... put your emergency lights on and stop the car, if the person gets out, remind your friend to take down the plates. If they person wrecks your car or punches you. Just sue them....

He who laughs last laughs best. P.S. options 1 and 2 are best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

Behind Sagenistic's tongue in cheek lies wisdom.

The traditional refusal of Massachusetts police to meaningfully enforce traffic laws has created a lot of problems on our highways.

The most dangerous is the fact a significant percentage of drivers do not know what a sane following distance is.  Probably the same or higher percentage of "police officers" do not know what a sane following distance is.  A recent study showed that 70% of Massachusetts Drivers do not know the proper following distance.  I think the study understates the problem.  My guess is that the study quite likely included a number of migrants from civilized parts of the country.

I like Sagenistic's suggestion, without the antagonism.

A much less immediately dangerous part of the Boston mix is that fact that perhaps 80% of drivers are too stupid to keep right.

Nevertheless, the right lane is where you should be driving unless you are passing.  Comments about bad drivers elsewhere do not mention the extreme stupidity of lane use in Massachusetts.  

Bad lane use is related to the Massachusetts' problem of contempt for anybody else's rights.  Tailgaters frequently use stupid lane use an excuse for tailgating.

I commonly find myself in the right lane passing the three lanes of traffic on my left, all of whom are too stupid to keep right.

BUT I also commonly find myself with some fool riding my bumper.

When the guy in front of you is passing the cars in every other lane on the road, tailgating cannot possibly be excused by the rationale that the guy in front is going too slow.

My suggestion:  make certain you are in the correct lane and are going a correct speed.  Pretty much all the time, YOU SHOULD BE IN THE RIGHT LANE.  If you then have a fool tailgating you, on your rear, there is only one thing you can do to minimize the danger:  SLOW DOWN.  The fool may or may not go away, but at least the collision will be less dangerous.

The most common reaction is that the tailgater will pass you.  A significant percentage is so stupid that he/she will pass on the right, whether it is in the breakdown lane or in a dirt area on the side of the road.

A small minority will stay behind you and back off.  If the guy in back backs off, or if you are dreaming that the guy in back has, through some miracle, learned to drive, gas up and see if he/she will maintain a sane distance.  This frequently works.  Just as frequently, you are forced to slow down again to minimize danger. 

DO NOT LEAVE THE RIGHT LANE.  That is where you belong and that is where traffic going at the speed you have been forced to go belongs.

Realize at all times that you are in a dangerous situation.  Driving slowly is dangerous, BUT the alternative is driving a lot faster with that fool tailgating you.  You have not created the dangerous situation.  You are minimizing the danger created by an extremely dangerous driver.

I have had more than one interaction with police related to such an incident.  I tell them, accurately, that I am very scared to go any faster.  I am driving as fast as is reasonly safe under the circumstances, and I am probably going faster than the distance of the car behind me would make safe.

I have seen tailgaters ticketed for tailgating.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sainttommy. Show sainttommy's posts

Welcome to quincy..............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoofer1939. Show hoofer1939's posts

Yo. No one should have been shot. No one should have been tailgating. No one should have been using cocaine. No one posting here knows what happened, BUT I'd like to guess: From what I've read, it seems that the firefighter, Mr Fasano (shootee) has meticulously created a "colorful" and less than admirable reputation for himself all over the place. Ya don't wanna meet him after two beers crashing your party. Mr O'Connell (shooter) seems to be guilty of being a Porsche driving rich guy. My guess is that O'Connell in his Porshe approached Fasano's Jeep or whatever very quickly from the rear. Fasano, hot head, "tough guy," used the brake tapping routine in to the extent that O'Connell sped past Fasano and returned the favor mucho times. Then, like two Massachusetts Driverinos who'd spent most of their night at The Beachcomber, they played Demo Derby on the Quincy side street. Then Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood dismounted and had a showdown. And wasn't the young lady impressed. It'd been a rather dull night to that point. Fasano finally made somebody's day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

[QUOTE]My guess is that O'Connell in his Porshe approached Fasano's Jeep or whatever very quickly from the rear. Fasano, hot head, "tough guy," used the brake tapping routine in to the extent that O'Connell sped past Fasano and returned the favor mucho times. Then, like two Massachusetts Driverinos who'd spent most of their night at The Beachcomber, they played Demo Derby on the Quincy side street. Then Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood dismounted and had a showdown. And wasn't the young lady impressed. It'd been a rather dull night to that point. Fasano finally made somebody's day.
    Posted by hoofer1939[/QUOTE]

A possible but very far fetched scenario.

The type of person who would object to being tailgated is exactly the opposite of the type of person tailgating.

The cops talk of "road rage" to hide the cops' very real, very major responsibility.

A tailgator DEMANDS that his/her victim not touch the brakes because the tailgator has created a situation where it is dangerous for the victim to touch the brakes.  Then when the victim drives in a normal manner, touching the brakes, the tailgator gets angry.

Oh, golly gee.  The guy in front actually had to touch his brakes more than once.  Horribly irresponsible from the tailgator's point of view.

They get out.  The victim does what a lawless police department has forced on the victim.  The cops have forced the victim into the Wild West.

There is no law.  Cops are not doing what we created them for.  One on one revenge.

Who is responsible? 

Certainly the two directly involved.  But, just as much as anybody else, that cop standing in front of the mikes crying "road rage."  That cop is equally responsible because I very strongly believe that that cop DOES NOT WANT THE REAL PROBLEM SOLVED.

AS A GROUP THE TERRIBLE POLICE OF MASSACHUSETTS ARE RESPONSIBLE.

That is the most likely scenario.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MidnightNambla. Show MidnightNambla's posts

No one is sure what went down but those 2 guys, but I can guarantee each one wishes it never happened. That's the key on things like this, no matter who is "right" both parties lose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pane242. Show pane242's posts

Maybe if they actually taught people how to drive, rather than just handing out licenses, we wouldn't be in this mess

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe if they actually taught people how to drive, rather than just handing out licenses, we wouldn't be in this mess
    Posted by pane242[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.

You may or may not be getting into the problem that contempt for highway safety is endemic throughout too many parts of government which are supposedly protecting our lives.

Another excellent example is flat out stupid signage on the roads. 

One thought that comes to mind is the mindless encouragement of pedestrian lawlessness by, I believe, the Department of Conservation and Recreation on their highways.

The law on crosswalks is that cars are required to yield to pedestrians on "unprotected" crosswalks.  "Unprotected" crosswalks are the ones without associated traffic lights.

On "protected" crosswalks, pedestrians are part of the traffic flow.  Pedestrians are required to obey lights just like drivers.

The DCR has posted "yield to pedestrians" signs on ALL crosswalks, encouraging pedestrians to jump in front of cars they should be respecting when the pedestrians have a light that tells them to wait.

The incompetent and irresponsible DCR puts the same sign on crosswalks where the sign is flat out wrong, yet again showing outrageous contempt by the powers that be for highway safety law.

This is the same reprehensible department which is aggressively destroying all animal life living or visiting the Charles River.

Two moderate response alternatives would be (1) to fire a lot of the powers that be at the DCR or (2) to take highways away from them completely, given their incompetence (and their environmental destuctiveness is not limited to attacks on wildlife, among other things they are seeking Obama money to destroy hundreds of healthy trees and animal habitat lining the Charles on Memorial Drive).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes : " They are only supposed to stop dangerous drivers, not speeders." Speeding IS dangerous driving. I know plenty of people who've been pulled over for speeding. Me being one of them.
    Posted by hawkeye01[/QUOTE]

Hawk, this state once considered parking illegally "dangerous driving" because it allowed the insurance companies to wack you with a surcharge (is it still?). I have been yelling for years to my reps (deaf ears of course) about the bs surcharge allowances. In almost 30 years of driving I have had 2 accidents and neither was ruled my fault. I do/did have several speeding tickets. My insurance step rate was the same as my niece who totaled her car. DUMB!

IMHO, speeding (on an open highway with little or no traffic) is NOT dangerous. Look at the Autobahn for proof. The nanny staters will pull up a study that shows it is the deadliest road in the world based on deaths per accident (true). But they will ignore it has less accidents per mile than any other road in the world.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

The last thing visitors to Massachusetts complain about is speeding.

My understanding is that people here drive less fast than elsewhere for two reasons:

1.  Belligerent stupidity in lane use, and police refusal to enforce the keep right law, prevents going faster than the slowest common denominator.

2.  Drivers routinely make allowance for dangerous stunts which are unthinkable in places with meaningful law enforcement.

The numbers I have seen on law enforcement say that ticketing does exist.  Ticketing just exists at a fraction of what occurs in places which meaningfully protect highway safety.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

In Response to Re: Shooting in Quincy by Lead Driver who "repeatedly" Hit his brakes : Hawk, this state once considered parking illegally "dangerous driving" because it allowed the insurance companies to wack you with a surcharge (is it still?). I have been yelling for years to my reps (deaf ears of course) about the bs surcharge allowances. In almost 30 years of driving I have had 2 accidents and neither was ruled my fault. I do/did have several speeding tickets. My insurance step rate was the same as my niece who totaled her car. DUMB! IMHO, speeding (on an open highway with little or no traffic) is NOT dangerous. Look at the Autobahn for proof. The nanny staters will pull up a study that shows it is the deadliest road in the world based on deaths per accident (true). But they will ignore it has less accidents per mile than any other road in the world.
    Posted by brat13

Blatant illegal parking used to be an excellent example of the terrible driving situation in the Boston area.

Nobody has any rights except the almighty me.

The powers that be have gotten around the terrible tradition of Boston cops in their contempt for highway safety on parking issues:

They hired other people at a fraction of the pay to do what Massachusetts cops were to irresponsible to do.

Protecting against deadly driving is very difficult to delegate to somebody making a fraction of the pay of the cops.

Now it is necessary to expect the cops to do their jobs.