Should Boston pass tougher anti-smoking laws?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1159153. Show user_1159153's posts

The City of Boston is considering some of the toughest tobacco control laws in the country.

Cigarette sales at Boston drugstores and on college campuses would be banned under sweeping new tobacco control rules likely to win initial approval today from health regulators.

Do you think this is a good idea?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

I think the City should concentrate on crime, paving roads, and cutting spending.

Last I checked, college students are old enough to make their own decisions about smoking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duketheguy. Show Duketheguy's posts

Come on,what's government going to do next? Hold our hands when we cross the street?I can see it now,next is snack foods,soda,alcohol,and don't forget,don't run with scissors.Since when did government become a bunch of babysitters?I don't know about the rest of you out there but i can take care of myself. JMO

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikemanley. Show mikemanley's posts

I concur with some of the other comments. The Nanny State enablers and their apologists have focused their attack on personal choice. These are the same folks that say "well, something HAS to be done!" or usually end their drivel with the tried and true, "but it's for the children!" Please. Whatever happened to *chosing* to be fat, dumb, and drive without a seatbelt fastened? Not in this facist state.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heliossunchild. Show heliossunchild's posts

I agree with RONZO. Smoking isn't the problem on campuses, but alcohol is. When have you EVER heard a story like "Oh yeah man, that kid smoked so many cigarettes, he fell off his 10th story dorm roof!" What the hell are these "health regulator" thinking? What the hell IS a health regulator anyway? Sounds like another way to waster our taxes to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

When will these idiots learn? People don't like the gov't on their back and controlling their lives.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicia429. Show Alicia429's posts

I think that it is a great idea. I wanted to quit smoking for some time and found it very difficult while being surrounded by it at every bar and restaurant I went to. Once the last ban was passed in 2003 I found it much easier to quit. I haven't smoked now for 4 years.
    People who want to continue smoking will obviously do so, but there are many that suffered like I did and thier struggle would be alot less if they had less access to cigarettes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

What ridiculous hysteria! I agree with all the previous posters except Alicia 429 who applauds the government controling other peoples' behavior as a convenience to her.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicia429. Show Alicia429's posts

"Whatever happened to *chosing* to be fat, dumb, and drive without a seatbelt fastened? Not in this facist state."

This is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever heard, but you know what, I am a firm believer in natural selection. Give it a try, hopefully you will be one less idiot that I have to worry about on the road in 5 years or holding up the line at the ER for actual emergencies with your self induced heart attack.
    Just try and be considerate and not take out anyone elses family in your line of self destruction.
    God forbid we try to look out for each other and keep each other from killing ourselves. What on earth are these people thinking trying to protect us from being our own worst enemies???

When are people going to wake up and stop being so ignorant. Yes, choice is bliss, but what kind of moron chooses to hurt themselves??
    Love how everyone wants to guise thier self destruction by defending "small business" though. Please, lets defend people who make money by killing us...Brilliant!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heliossunchild. Show heliossunchild's posts

"SMOKE"

...not now Harry!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heliossunchild. Show heliossunchild's posts

[Quote]"Whatever happened to *chosing* to be fat, dumb, and drive without a seatbelt fastened? Not in this facist state."

This is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever heard, but you know what, I am a firm believer in natural selection. Give it a try, hopefully you will be one less idiot that I have to worry about on the road in 5 years or holding up the line at the ER for actual emergencies with your self induced heart attack.
    Just try and be considerate and not take out anyone elses family in your line of self destruction.
    God forbid we try to look out for each other and keep each other from killing ourselves. What on earth are these people thinking trying to protect us from being our own worst enemies???

When are people going to wake up and stop being so ignorant. Yes, choice is bliss, but what kind of moron chooses to hurt themselves??
    Love how everyone wants to guise thier self destruction by defending "small business" though. Please, lets defend people who make money by killing us...Brilliant![/Quote]

Enough with your PREACHING!!! Didn't YOU use to smoke? What's all this calling people ignorant and morons about? Don't you know that anyone calling someone a moron is themselves a moron? Did YOU want people up your butt (pun here) telling you what to do? No, you were probably like "don't tell ME what to do" because that is how you seem like you are, annoying, preachy and flip-floppy. That's GREAT you quit and we are all happy for you. But you are probably sitting in some little office somewhere and college kids smoking are going to have NO impact on your life what-so-ever. Alcohol is a much bigger problem because they still drive on the same roads we do. What most people are getting upset about here is the fact that BIG BROTHER wants to tell us what to do again. If you like being lead around like a little lamb, all the power to ya.

SMOKE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicia429. Show Alicia429's posts

Yes, I'm sorry, you're correct. Obviously "Big Brother" is the devil and I am just a little lamb following him into hell.
    I hate to break it to you, but I HATE politicians, all of them. But I will not knock one down for being bold enough to stand up to one of the most corrupt organizations in our nation. I am in no way preaching that others should quit smoking, they can smoke themselves to death for all I care. But once they realize what they have done to themselves they are the first in line to become dependent on the "Big Brother" they were so against.
    I'm sorry, but the true waste of my tax dollars is taking care of the assholes that weren't smart enough to take care of themselves.
    If you want to smoke, good for you, but who are you to put your bad habit on me? Do it on your own time in your own house.
    Yes I used to smoke. I started when I was a dumb kid who grew up in a family of smokers that didn't know any better. By the time I caught on it was too late. Teenagers are dumb! They don't know what is good for them. They don't need hand holding, but we should do our best to always offer guidance. No one is saying smokers can't smoke. They just can't inconvenience others while doing it.
    As far as your rant on alcohol goes. I agree, it's a huge issue, but not the one that is on the table. One thing at a time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I don't smoke, and hate smoking. However, adults should be able to make the decision without the government butting in once again. If I smell second hand smoke that I don't want to be around . . I just move. Not a big deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigone77. Show bigone77's posts

[Quote]I think that it is a great idea. I wanted to quit smoking for some time and found it very difficult while being surrounded by it at every bar and restaurant I went to. Once the last ban was passed in 2003 I found it much easier to quit. I haven't smoked now for 4 years.
    People who want to continue smoking will obviously do so, but there are many that suffered like I did and thier struggle would be alot less if they had less access to cigarettes.[/Quote]

Alicia, You needed people to stop smoking in order for you to stop smoking? When people jump off a bridge, do you do that as well? Or do you need someone to tell you not to?
    Think for yourself. It shouldn't be on others to help you quit smoking...how sad. Its good that you stopped, but kind of pathetic that you needed people around you to stop first before you thought it would be a good idea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigone77. Show bigone77's posts

[Quote]I'm sorry, but the true waste of my tax dollars is taking care of the assholes that weren't smart enough to take care of themselves.
    If you want to smoke, good for you, but who are you to put your bad habit on me? Do it on your own time in your own house.
    Yes I used to smoke.[/Quote]

Aren't you the same person that smoked in bars until everyone else around you stopped? So it was ok when you smoked in bars and outside, and wherever, and pushed your bad habit on others because they happened to be having a meal, or a drink, or walking down the street, but now that you quit, no one else can ever smoke around you?

You are the biggest hypocrite I have ever heard from in my life. You have the typical ex-smokers attitude of "I quit and am so great for quitting, now everyone else should have to quit too because I did". So pathetic you are.

I am an exsmoker myself, but why should I care about where people smoke or when? Its a free country, and they are allowed to do whatever they want. Just because you choose to do something, doesnt mean the world needs to follow...grow some sense you moron.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

Colleges can already ban tobacco sales on campus. College students are generally 18+, so why shouldn't they be able to buy cigarettes?

Doesn't the city have more important things to worry about, like murders and budget shortfalls?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heliossunchild. Show heliossunchild's posts

[Quote]Yes, I'm sorry, you're correct. Obviously "Big Brother" is the devil and I am just a little lamb following him into hell.
    I hate to break it to you, but I HATE politicians, all of them. But I will not knock one down for being bold enough to stand up to one of the most corrupt organizations in our nation. I am in no way preaching that others should quit smoking, they can smoke themselves to death for all I care. But once they realize what they have done to themselves they are the first in line to become dependent on the "Big Brother" they were so against.
    I'm sorry, but the true waste of my tax dollars is taking care of the assholes that weren't smart enough to take care of themselves.
    Yes I used to smoke. I started when I was a dumb kid who grew up in a family of smokers that didn't know any better. By the time I caught on it was too late. Teenagers are dumb! They don't know what is good for them. They don't need hand holding, but we should do our best to always offer guidance. No one is saying smokers can't smoke. They just can't inconvenience others while doing it.
    As far as your rant on alcohol goes. I agree, it's a huge issue, but not the one that is on the table. One thing at a time.[/Quote]

My association to alcohol from smoking comes from the fact that the two almost go hand in hand. Do the letters ATF ring any bells?

But yes, let’s stick to what is on the table. My problem with you is that you are being a super huge hypocrite, as some of the above posters just pointed out very well. (Thanks guys!) In a sense what you said is that smokers (excluding your past of course, because you are perfect) are inconsiderate assholes who are abusing not only “your” clean air but the health care system supported by “your” tax dollars as well.

As far as the health care system is concerned, hmmm, according to my pay stub I pay THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars during my career to Medicade and health insurance. You mean I don’t get to use that money if I need to?

As far as the public health issues you bring up, I am an avid mountain biker, I hike, swim and take really good care of myself… other than the smoking of course. I blame no one but myself for my habit. If I die from it, I die from it. I am a closet smoker anyway. I don’t even smoke in public. I have a smoking room so that not even our cats are affected by it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

Could this get any more ridicoulous? Hey, they sell condoms as well, and we want to stop teen pregnancy, lets stop that! And candy bars are fattening! And the whole milk? Obviously, we need to step in here and help the people, as they are to dumb to think for themselves.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Typical Menino--ban it! As if they couldn't get cigarettes elsewhere? As if smoking bans would really be enforced. Time for him to go back to worrying about important things like noisy street performers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvegas. Show mvegas's posts

I am a non smoker as well. We are moving closer and closer to becoming a communist nation. Makes me laugh, the govt. does jack for you during a disaster but they have the time try and pass a bill like this?? So sad!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongrl. Show moongrl's posts

I think this is a great idea! Whatever it takes to deter our young people from smoking seems to make sense to me. With the cost of healthcare rising every day and the personal cost in terms of multiple health problems incurred by smoking - I say bring it on!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrScrappy77. Show MrScrappy77's posts

Want to improve the health of college students? Ban all fast food places from opening up shops on campus. Get rid of the Burger Kings, Taco Bells and all other awful crap they eat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrScrappy77. Show MrScrappy77's posts

[Quote]I think that it is a great idea. I wanted to quit smoking for some time and found it very difficult while being surrounded by it at every bar and restaurant I went to. Once the last ban was passed in 2003 I found it much easier to quit. I haven't smoked now for 4 years.
    People who want to continue smoking will obviously do so, but there are many that suffered like I did and thier struggle would be alot less if they had less access to cigarettes.[/Quote]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

Just another set of democratic liberals telling you they know whats best for you and you dont. Just like in california, they are going to ban any new fast food restaurants from poor areas. Because the poor arent smart enough to eat healthy. they arent banning all fast food restaurants in california, just in poor neighborhoods. You see the rich liberals know better and they will decide whats best for you. We arent far from , eat well, dont smoke, dont drink, wear your saftey belt, exercise, dont swear, cause its all bad for your health, if you disagree , we will force you.
    Anyone else heard this before, like in Nazi movies? or Nazi propaganda.
    But hey, they are jst looking out for us, remember, THEY know better.