Should Boston pass tougher anti-smoking laws?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dani07. Show dani07's posts

I know that others have said that college kids are old enough to make their own decisions and having gone through college I would have to agree. However, as a city and state we have to weigh the benefits of banning the sale i.e. the preventative measures taken now that will delay or eliminate future health care costs that we as citizens will have to pay. Not only has smoking been proven to be detrimental to a person and those around them, it is a monetary waste and a fire hazard. Do as you please but freedom to act doesnt mean freedom to act stupidly and reliance on others to fix problems, or ignoring the issues that could come up in the future.
    Lawmakers know you can go across the street and buy cigarettes if you want but making it a little less visable make deter some people from picking up the habit and forming an addiction. Plus the walk to the corner store, to get the cigarettes you so sorely desire, wouldnt kill the average person either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

If the city really wants to help prevent individuals from making poor health decisions, they should ban fat people from buying junk food!!!! i mean, have you seen the population of college kids lately? not to mention all the grown up fat a$#s.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

Prevent a legal adult from buying a legal product.....yeah, that will hold up in court. Stop wasting our hard earned tax dollars on high priced lawyers defending unconsititutional positions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hazmat2. Show hazmat2's posts

[Quote]Most convenience stores will go out of business fairly quickly. What small business can afford to lose 40% of its revenue?

At least this creates fantastic opportunities for other entrepreneurs--college kids who make cigarette runs up to New Hampshire and resell for a nice profit while still charging less than a store in MA.[/Quote]

This legislation does not affect convenience stores.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hazmat2. Show hazmat2's posts

I think this legislation doesn't go far enough. It's bad enough that smokers are allowed to smoke around everyone else to begin with. It's such an obscene habit (and one that will be illegal within the next thirty to fifty years anyway) that I can honestly say I personally only know maybe one or two people that would oppose this law.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

I think it is a terrible idea. What's next? The thought scares me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorButtkraak. Show MajorButtkraak's posts

Why not? Prohibition worked so well, didn't it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrackMonkey1972. Show CrackMonkey1972's posts

If they are going to do this then they should also ban the drug stores campuses from selling food with high fat content. Obesity is about to overtake smoking as the number one preventable killer in the United States

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SethFaler. Show SethFaler's posts

More insanity and dishonesty. This all goes back to the bogus second-hand smoke meta-studies that were thoroughly discredited in the courts and among informed observers back in the 1990s. I can't believe that these studies are still gaining traction. It is only those with an anti-smoking agenda who continue to push the lie that secondhand smoke has been proven to cause cancer, etc., which gives the argument moral force. It is simply not true. Shopkeepers and their patrons should be free to choose whether to smoke or not. Let's start with the overzealous, ignorant lawmakers who too easily succumb to the liberal anti-smoking pressure groups. Let's stand up, for once, against these manipulators and their stooges.

http://www.forces.org/evidence/files/marim.htm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from secretNSAmonitor. Show secretNSAmonitor's posts

Dear College student,

Thanks for working hard and getting into college and, if necessary, you are eligable to join to military and fight and possibly die for this country, however, we in the government of Boston don't feel you have the right to smoke, should you choose to do so, even though it is legal.

And please, ignore the fact that crime is on the rise, we'd rather focus on issues that don't really help the city

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Yup, that'll stop them. They will never think to go to a convenience store and buy cigarettes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Please, don't anyone try to tell me this is a health care issue. I am not denying cigarettes are bad. I don't smoke where I am not supposed to and risking cancer is my choice. But when I can't buy smokes in CVS but one can still buy Suzie Q's and soda I feel a double standard coming on.

Spare me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amused1. Show amused1's posts

Just wondering where these "enlightened" people will stop...they are also talking about banning smoking outside restaurants, bars, office buildings etc...Boston is also a tourist destination....most tourists from overseas come from countries where smoking is still a normal part of society...I do not think that they or their friends will return/consider Boston as desirable destination....think of the lost $$$$ These enlightened ones have no idea of what they are doing or affecting with their search for the smoke free holy grail...I bet you will catch a few of them with their cigars on the golf course!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

I just don't understand why we don't have one stand-up rep who will speak up and say "stop the nonsense". This is just out of control...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    Yes, choice is bliss, but what kind of moron chooses to hurt themselves??
    [/Quote]

You did, remember? You used to smoke.

Also, for the record, everyone who smokes, drinks, does drugs, drives like a crazy person, stays in a destructve relationship... so, most people, actually.

This ban is ridiculous. Anyone who wants to smoke isn't going to be deterred by having to walk an extra five feet to the place next door. And I highly, highly doubt that anyone who really wants to quit is going to have trouble for the sole reason that cigarettes can be purchased in drug stores.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]It never stops. Next up they will start to legislate what items a restaurant can offer on its menu. [/Quote]

Didn't Boston already pass a trans fat ban?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankjcapp. Show frankjcapp's posts

The slippery slope is well on its way ... Trans-fat ban, anyone?

There is indeed one option:

FIRE THE POLITICIANS and let them know why they are getting fired.

"I'm voting for THE OTHER GUY because you, sir (madam) are an idiot. This is a legal product being sold to legal aged people. Why are you focusing on "drug stores"? Is CVS a drug store or a small department store? Is Walgreen's a "drug store" or is 50%+ of their merchandise sundries?

How about grocery stores that sell "drugs" in aisle six?

How about a CVS or Walgreen that doesn't have a pharmacy associated with it? Are they under the ban?

Folks, the problem lies with not only the legislators that allow this type of perverted law making, its also the un-regulated regulators who make up these incredibly stupid regulations.

FIRE THEM ALL .. vote for THE OTHER GUY.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

I am not a conspiracy nut myself but I can't help see one when governement decides whats good for the citizens and whats not. Where health care is so expensive instead of forcing the prices down they will make us healthier whether we like it or not. Has anyone had a hamburger lately that they bought at the supermarket? Taste like cardboard dosen't it? Well when the meat we buy is 95% fat free there's no taste left.

As an adult I wish I had a choice, growing up (47)things were very different, I still remember my mother smoking a cigarette while holding me and my father never not had one in his mouth. Dad lived to 78 and mom is still with us at 73 healthy as horses, we ate the fattiest meats the most cholesterol filled meals and smoked cigaretts all my life. What is it with humans? Do they really think they will live forever, I myself do not wish to have any regrets when that day comes and it will, whether I get hit by a bus or from clogged heart valves but it was MY CHOICE no one elses.

I resent people forcing me to do anything let alone deciding what I can and cannot eat, drink or smoke. Let alone the government...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

[Quote]Didn't Boston already pass a trans fat ban?[/Quote]

You're so hot. Wanna procreate?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

[Quote]FIRE THEM ALL .. vote for THE OTHER GUY.[/Quote]

As always, I adore you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Princess, I do agree with you. Adults should be able to make decisions on their own. However, cigarettes are sold everywhere you turn. The smoke cravers can go just a few feet down the road and buy their fix.
    As a non smoker, but suffering from asthma from second hand smoke, I welcome the ban of sale on college campuses and in pharmacies. It is a good thing.
    One has a bad cough and go to a pharmacy to buy cough lozenges - but at the same time pick up a pack of cigarettes. Just don' t make sense.
    As far as colleges are concerned - some of the freshmen have never smoked, but they see their upper class mates smoke, and in order to fit in - they start. If cigarettes are not available on campus, I am hoping we can stop a lot of youngsters to pick up thatnasty habit.
    As always - just my two cents - Pingo

[Quote]I don't smoke, and hate smoking. However, adults should be able to make the decision without the government butting in once again. If I smell second hand smoke that I don't want to be around . . I just move. Not a big deal.[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1393332. Show user_1393332's posts

"hate to break it to you, but I HATE politicians, all of them. But I will not knock one down for being bold enough to stand up to one of the most corrupt organizations in our nation."

Who exactly is the "most corrupt organizations in our nation"?

Why it is our very own government!
    They feed us more BS than any Madison Avenue Corp types.

Alicia get a clue, you are still being lead around by the nose ring! and at the other end of the chain is OUR VERY OWN GOVERNMENT!

No smoking
    No trans fats
    No abortions
    wear a seatbelt
    No diciplining your child - but when s/he becomes a criminal, they will all look at you and tell you it WAS ALL YOUR FAULT! because you didn't say........No!!!!!!!!!!

So for my 2 cents worth, Mr/s Politician, please stay out of MY life and MY choices, stick to being corrupt and making sure you get your big paying job when you are done screwing up MY country.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[Quote]I think this legislation doesn't go far enough. It's bad enough that smokers are allowed to smoke around everyone else to begin with. It's such an obscene habit (and one that will be illegal within the next thirty to fifty years anyway) that I can honestly say I personally only know maybe one or two people that would oppose this law.[/Quote]

I'm sure. After all, how many people could fit on that high mountain top you dwell on. But doesn't the smoke from the burning bush bother you?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bowl. Show bowl's posts

No, I don't agree. Yet another great waste of money that the state can't afford to spend. Lawmakers in this state are incompetent to say the least.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

I think all the smokers should be shot in the head. This way the government will solve this long standing issue once and for all and move to its next abomination. Drinkers, rare meat, foie gras, and greasy food eaters – watch out. You’re next