Should Lawrence teacher serve jail time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Prosecutors have asked that a substitute teacher in Lawrence serve 60 days in jail after he was found guilty of assaulting a first grader. The jury was shown a videotape of the teacher catching a�fleeing student by the collar and swinging him against a door.What do you think? Should the teacher serve time in jail?��

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from car402. Show car402's posts

OK so the teacher went to far, but is anyone talking to the PARENTS as to why a child that age was trying to flee the school?..... I am sure the parents will now play the victim.� I am tired of watching the news and seeing all these unruly kids being interviewed on tv because they have acted up in school...and the parents acting like "my poor child".... this teacher should have shown better judgement, but good behavior begins at home.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from benn345. Show benn345's posts

Tuff to say if it where my kid that he did it to I would want the guy shot - �I thinkn the lose of his job and making so he cannot work with children or in the shcool system could be��� but like i said if it was my kid he would be sent to leathal injection or the gas chamber -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbucko. Show kbucko's posts

I would have to say that it would be a fitting penalty for doing that to a 1st grader - however, if the student was say, in high school, I would say that it would need to be investigated.� I saw my fair share of students in high school that probably needed that.� but there really isn't an excuse to doing it to a 1st grader.� I think that it's fitting.� Maybe not the full 60 days - I mean the guy will lose his job and never teach again - but a month in jail might make him think about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

No, he should not serve jail time. After watching the video, you can see the child did not even really hit the door, the teacher did not intentionally swing the child into the door. You can also tell by the video the teacher was not being abusive or acting out of anger. He grabbed and pulled the child by the collar, maybe not the safest way to restrain, but if he was trying to keep the kid from fleeing the school. I think of the way any of us would have reacted to keep him from running out of the school, possibly the same way we would restarin a child from running into traffic. It doesn't seem that he had any intention of hurting the child. The sub was proabably thinking, oh god, I'm so screwed if this kid runs out of the school. Maybe the child will think twice before acting this way again. Its so tiring that the kids are the smucks, but its always the teachers to blame, no matter the situation.� Would this sort of thing even be public info if it was the 50's, 60's, 70's ? Teachers have�are in a terrible position these days. They are the ones who are abused by�students, parents, and administration. I'm surprised anyway�even wants to do it anymore.�

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gusburnz. Show gusburnz's posts

no, not one second, from what we can see on the tape..................now maybe if they find out the guy has some kind of history of abusing children, but didn't they check him out before he was hired?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctmitch5. Show ctmitch5's posts

The very concept of jail time as punishment for what that guy did is positively laughable. And I have children that age. Revoke his right to teach, but otherwise this whole thread is just silly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from drmmom. Show drmmom's posts

Let the guy sit in jail for a little while to think about what he did.� Teachers have one of the toughest jobs in the world.� I know this firsthand coming�from a family of elementary school teachers.� This guy clearly has no place in an elementary school.� When my little girl starts kindergarten next year you had better believe that I dont expect teachers to discipline her in that manner. You just dont put your hands on a kid like that PERIOD.�

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brievan. Show brievan's posts

when I was in grammar school - our third grade teacher used to slam a student's head into the wall while we were all in class - nothing ever happened to him - neither incident is right but I don't think jail time is warranted - probably shouldn't continue as a teacher

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fjones99. Show fjones99's posts

no, he should not serve jail time. way too harsh... fine him, fire him, make him seek counseling, etc...but jail time for THAT? my god, i better not ever become a teacher, might brush into a kid by accident in the hallway and get a week in jail...

it's not even clear in the video that there was intent to make the kid hit the door, perhaps the kid was resisting and he just pulled him harder in turning the corner... a lot depends on what provoked the incident as well... maybe the kid was just being a real brat and provoked the teacher's temper... it's wrong to become physical with a kid that small, but he should be penalized for it in another way, not with imprisonment...��

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsk8. Show bostonsk8's posts

Should he server jail time..�� Well it depends on a few things.1)� What injuries did the child suffer ?� From the video it looks like he�barely hit the door and�it certainly doesn't look like the teacher slammed him into it.�2)� What did the child do ?��� What were the circumstances that lead up to the child running out of the building ?�� Was the teacher assaulted by the student either verbally or physically ?If the child is an innocent victim of teacher brutality then the teacher should be prosecuted and if found guilty server jail time� BUT...If the child was a disrespectful disruptive trouble making piece of crap then the the teacher should be reprimanded by not prosecuted and the parents should be ashamed at the poor job they are doing raising their child.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan2007. Show soxfan2007's posts

I went to a catholic school in south boston in the 80s. Can't tell you how many times a teacher whacked someone in my class on the hands or grabbed�them by the shirt to get them to calm down. If the kid runs out of school into the street and gets hit by a car, the school gets sued because they didn't protect the kid. Tough one to call."why does andrew get to get up? If he gets up, we'll all get up, it'll be anarchy!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdane. Show jdane's posts

One percent of the American adult population in jail, and apparently growing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Culo-Grande. Show Culo-Grande's posts

That teacher deserves a medal and a raise.� What would have happened if the kid ran into traffic?� Who was watching the other kids while the teacher was chasing this brat?� If I were the kids parents, I would have thanked the teacher and smacked the kid across the a$$ for running.� When I would tell my parents that the nuns smacked me with a ruler, they would ask "what did you do?".� Parents these days never think that "their kid" could ever do any wrong.� Have you ever seen a mother dog discipline her pups?� You would think the mother killed the pup the way she grabs it by the scruff and slams it down with her mouth.� Do you think the pup ever repeats the behavior?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtiger. Show dtiger's posts

No he should not go to jail.� Next time the teachers can just let the unruly little brats run into the street.Bring back the rattan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gusburnz. Show gusburnz's posts

that's the way to solve a problem like this..........sneak up on someone and cheap shot him...........what a great example you'd set for your children..................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zampiano. Show zampiano's posts

I just watched the video carefully.� If you watch the video found here, and check the last 5-10 seconds a few times, you will see that the teacher's arm pulls away from the door before the child swings into it (as though trying to keep the child from going completely ballistic).

From what I can see, the teacher's misjudgement was to hold the child by the shirt, rather than by an arm; although, nowadays, you can't physically touch anyone, so that might not be okay, either.

If the question is about child abuse, based on the video, I would say that this is not a case of that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjc52. Show sjc52's posts

Child abuse is Child abuse and has no place in our society.� This guy should serve some kind of sentence.� Perhaps loosing his job, and being black-listed from getting another teaching job is enough.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from strat0477. Show strat0477's posts

why was the kid fleeing anyway? Something tells me if the guy let the kid go he would probably be looking at some kind of sentence. No win situation.

It's hard for me to say without knowing the child's previous behavior, but it doesn't appear to me that the sub did anything wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston255. Show boston255's posts

I believe the teacher overreacted, but unless he has a history of this sort of thing, I don't believe he should face jail time.� Anger management and child care classes before he can teach again are more justified.� And to everyone who is advocating that this child be smacked, hit, or physically punished in any way, welcome to 2008.� Are you kidding me?� It has been proven that corporal punishment only teaches a child that violence solves problems.� If I saw anyone physically punishing my child, I would be furious.This is a small child.� Yes, the teacher had to stop him from running away, but the teacher let his anger override his judgment.� All kids misbehave.� Some of you are acting like this small child should think like an adult.� Ah, no.The teacher is only human, and again, unless he has done this before, I don't believe he should lose his job or go to jail, but I would only let him work with kids again if he got some sort of training.�

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisse343. Show chrisse343's posts

Looking at the video it doesn't look like me meant to swing the child into the door. At the same time he probably was too aggressive with the boy. The boy was struggling to get away and I think that in combination with the teacher trying to get him back through the door without slamming him into the closed door caused the boy to swing into the open door. I'm sure the teacher regrets what happened but they are under so much stress from administration, parents, and children that misbehave that I think it was a momentary lapse in judgment. I don't think he should go to jail but I do think he should attend a class on restraining children/ anger management�and have his teaching license suspended (if he has one).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from psquiggs. Show psquiggs's posts

��� This is why your children are wimps.� Come on, he hardly even hit the door.� Were there any marks on� him?� It looks to me that the sub did not know his own strength and whipped him around the door.� This is what causes defensive teaching, heavy on CYA and light on learning.� The sub deserves a metal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from olefashionedvalues. Show olefashionedvalues's posts

You are correct. I was a teacher in my 20's. The pay was aweful and I got kicked and spit on all day long because�I was in a special needs capacity. No one else wanted the job and I was replacing a teacher who was out on medical leave for getting punched in the face.� Lets all give this first grader the impression that he can do no wrong�. It won't be long before�he is on the streets at age�12 stabbing and robbing people.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from strat0477. Show strat0477's posts

No kidding - parents wouldn't have to worry about corporal punishment from teachers if they as parents DID THEIR D*MN jobs!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fhussar. Show fhussar's posts

This man obviously should not be in any proximity to children. Take away his ability to teach and or be around children in any supervisory capacity, as WELL as jail time. If this guy did this to my boy, he would welcome jail time once he met me. There is NO excuse for this behavior. The child is not capable of accountability at 6 years old. To see this piece of garbage fling this boy around like a ragdoll makes my blood boil. 60 days?....make it 360 days...teach this s#*tbum, and any other "tough-guy" child abuser that there are decidedly severe consequences for mistreating defenseless children. I hope this kids father tears this moron a new one. I would. Anyone who defends this piece of s#*t can go to hell with him.

Sections
Shortcuts