Sports Radio Wars...98.5 vs WEEI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Birdcaron. Show Birdcaron's posts

Sports Radio Wars...98.5 vs WEEI

Great article...

http://bingobar.blogspot.com/2010/03/985-vs-weei.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Re: Sports Radio Wars...98.5 vs WEEI

I like 98.5.
    They seem like they're having fun and don't $uck up to the sporties. Plus, unlike weei, they arn't obsessed with politics and trashing Obama and the libs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MLoe. Show MLoe's posts

I love sports in Boston and have been listening to WEEI for years.

I had a problem with the morning show. I hated their right wing rants and their politics
    plus, when I wake up and want to hear sports, I want to hear sports! For politics I go elsewhere
    to those who really know what they are talking about. I found that D&C ultimately watered down both sports and politics so I found them kind of frauds on both accounts. I stopped listening.

When 98.5 premiered, it was like a breath of fresh air. Guys like Mazz and Tanguey
    who actually are around the teams are a bit more informative and actually very entertaining.
    I heard sports not politics and I was happy.

The FM signal hasn't hurt!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajwalsh8. Show ajwalsh8's posts

Definitely a fan of the Sports Hub. Toucher and Rich start it off right in the morning. Even though they are not strictly a sports show, they add in what you need to know I think. I really enjoy the pair of Felger and Maz in the afternoon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WALTHAM2020. Show WALTHAM2020's posts

98.5 is a station of B-List personalities who are castoffs from other outlets and IT SHOWS!

DA is a Rent-A-Mouth who straggles from job to job and has ZERO local flavor and could be replaced by a google powered voice synthesizer.

Toucher and Rich?-- Selected as morning show hosts because they were cheap money and nobody else wanted them---Their loyal listeners (all 3 of them) most likely are family members. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

WEEI is unlistenable, except for meatheads (hmmmm......in Waltham perhaps?). 

I listen during my commutes, so I don't listen to the mid-day or evening shows of either station. T&R are "sports lite" but the show is entertaining and I'll listen to it. Otherwise, I'll put on HJY or AAF instead.  As for the afternoon, it's no contest.  F&M is MUCH better that the big O and assorted idiots talk over everybody for hours.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Radio Wars...98.5 vs WEEI:
    WEEI is unlistenable, except for meatheads (hmmmm......in Waltham perhaps?).  I listen during my commutes, so I don't listen to the mid-day or evening shows of either station. T&R are "sports lite" but the show is entertaining and I'll listen to it. Otherwise, I'll put on HJY or AAF instead.  As for the afternoon, it's no contest.  F&M is MUCH better that the big O and assorted idiots talk over everybody for hours.
    Posted by Dave24

That's funny consider Mazz is from Waltham.

I agree 98.5 in the afternoon is much better than WEEI (although I'm a bit biased). I don't much care for T&R or D&C on WEEI, not because they "pick on libs" (is it really that offending?). As you pointed out T&R are "sports lite". Not much content in the way of any real analysis but I suppose that really isn't what they're there for. More comedy than sports I suppose. D&C are just blowhards that veer off sports too much. If I want to listen to politics I'll put on 96.9.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

98.5 is great EXCEPT Felger. He is the king of DB's! It was great the week he was out. His wife and her mouse voice is annoying too! I can't listen to either of them for more than 2 minutes without wanting to scream (anger management courses!).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I don't mind EEI or the shenanigans of its various hosts for the most part, but I have to admit the political soapboxing that goes on during D&C and the Big Show gets old.  But I am someone who enjoys sports precisely because it doesn't have anything to do with politics so blending the two can grate on my nerves.  I don't watch cartoons to see live action, I don't eat ice cream for vitamins, etc, etc. 

That said I am glad that 98.5 has entered the market.  EEI was a slave to its own success and in that environment innovation can easily be stifled.  And where 1510 the Zone tended to be a tremendous bore (if you could get the dang signal) the Sports Hub has some edge to it and is at least relevant to the typical sports radio listener.  I don't care for Felger as he is one trick pony, namely being the contrarian a-hole, but on the whole maybe something good will come out of this battle that will benefit the Boston sports fan. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartacus2. Show Spartacus2's posts

WEEI and its right wing morning show pollutes the air waves.The alleged Big Show in the afternoon is a yell fest and an insult to callers who actually call to ask a Sports question.It is near impossible to do so.If you truly have an actual opinion that goes against what has already been stated by the hosts look out. An have you ever heard such fence sitting wishy washy opnions held by Ordway. Man oh man when is enough going to be enough. The Sports Hub is in its infancy and has a way to go but at least it has a fresh outlook and has informed hosts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

98.5 is great EXCEPT Felger. He is the king of DB's! It was great the week he was out. His wife and her mouse voice is annoying too! I can't listen to either of them for more than 2 minutes without wanting to scream (anger management courses!).
    Posted by brat13

Give the man credit, his wife is smoking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Radio Wars...98.5 vs WEEI : Give the man credit, his wife is smoking.
    Posted by gfkr2

Different strokes I guess... She is a 6-7 to me. Nothing to stay and listen too. The voice brings the score down maybe... Maria is SMOKING!!!

Sections
Shortcuts