St. Pat's Day vs. Holy Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

For the first time since 1940, St. Patrick's Day will fall during Holy Week, presenting a rare clash between the annual South Boston St. Patrick's Day parade and Palm Sunday. Do you think the Boston parade organizers should follow other cities' leads and move up the parade? Do you think fewer people will attend church services or the parade because of the clash?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yolker. Show yolker's posts

the parade is a joke...they try and tell you it is about heritage and pride, but everyone just shows up to get drunk...some pride.

Also, this one could be interesting for Boston if folks keep pushing the envelope with their "day". I don't recall any other ethic days that the city gets so behind. Wait until we need to recognize them all. We will have parades every other weekend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from noside61. Show noside61's posts

Palms and pilsner?

Leaves and lager?

Annointing and ales?

Scripture and stout?

Sounds OK to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

what a joke, are you kidding?? - the pols in Boston have no clue
    Change the date, whether you agree with the church or not show some respect. The parade is a huge farce anyway, nothing but a lot of people drinking.�� In years past, the parades were an exciting family day, they have now become a huge drunk - it is truly a shame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from narrucmot. Show narrucmot's posts

Party on, Seamus!� Pour me another Guiness!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winkywink. Show winkywink's posts

Yikes... a little harsh don't you think? The St Pat's Parade is a long standing tradition in the city of Boston. Don't go if you don't like it. Calling it a joke and the Catholic church a joke? I have never seen a religion get more crap from people that don't understand it. Have some respect for other people's beliefs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from drockboston. Show drockboston's posts

it's just another example of McDonald's Catholics. "I'm a good Catholic, when I want to be."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsmeee. Show itsmeee's posts

Maybe people would have a little more respect for the Catholic Church if the Church had the slightest respect for anyone else's beliefs.� But, the subject of religion aside, the parade does seem to be just an excuse to party.� While there's nothing wrong with a celebration, for many it's just an excuse for public drunknenness and all that entails.� I lived in Dorchester for many years and worked in Southie, and I had to request the day off if I ended up scheduled to work on the day of the parade, for my own safety.� What amazed me the most, though, was how many people in Southie thought the�March 17 Boston holiday, Evacuation Day, was really about St. Patrick's Day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryszard1973. Show ryszard1973's posts

I agree 100 percent, spursfan50. The parade is a joke. Who on earth likes parades? They are a waste of money. And yes, I love how out of touch people are about who lives in Boston. Guess what, not every single person living in this goddamn place is an Irish Catholic, you ignorant sluts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shekane. Show shekane's posts

So Southie is too proud of their parade to change the date to a Saturday...they dont follow the rules of parkign that the rest of Boston follows and claim the street as their personal space during snowstorms...why not just make Southie its own City/State like Vatican City, that was they can feel holier than everyone, make their own rules yet say they are part of Boston

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ahdenah. Show ahdenah's posts

Actually, the holiday is Evacuation Day, not St. Patrick's Day. The parade should be held as usual. Since when does the Catholic Church have a say in how historic celebrations are held? Butt out!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

��� Read the article - Sunday is Palm Sunday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ahdenah. Show ahdenah's posts

Have one on Sunday and Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

actually, March 17th is officially St. Patrick's Day, and was St. Patrick's Day long before evacuation day came�about.�

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joplinspig. Show joplinspig's posts

We have a speration of Church and State in this country.� Palm Sunday is a religious holiday and should have no impact on the rest of us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i think the parade should be held on March 16th as planned.� people will attend church and/or the parade as planned regardless.� � you have your choice regarding the attendance of catholic church services...either saturday afternoon, sunday�morning, or even sunday evening depending on the church.� the parade is @ 1 pm on the 16th...and usually over by 4...plenty of time to squeeze in both.its just that the masses that weekend will be focused on�palm sunday as opposed to St. Patrick...will still have St. Patrick in the back of my mind when I�attend mass that weekend.� you can't take my very green roots away from me.��

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from juliaseesred. Show juliaseesred's posts

The reason people think Evacuation Day has more to do with St. Patrick's day is because local belief holds that it was all the Irish Catholic politicians who decided to make E-Day a holiday in Boston, just so they could have a day off for St. Patty's day. They just needed some kind of "memorable"�local/national event to justify it.�I can neither confirm nor deny if that's actually the case, but I know lots of elderly Irish men who affirm that's how it happened. Thus the close association of the two holidays- one as an excuse for the other.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

OK� mr yankee fan...here you go again with the parking issue in Southie, this has nothing to do with that - GET OVER IT!!!
    This is about a conflict in scheduling - please read before you respond!!!

By the way - it is going to snow tomorrow, you may want to get out your lawn chair to save your space on the street to park...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

this is pretty funny..thansk for the humor..I am sorry i missed that Oprah show!!
    Thanks for the chuckle!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 66que. Show 66que's posts

The reason that there is an issue with doing both on the same day is because Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week; it marks the events leading up to the the death of Jesus, which is a solomn time, not one of celebration.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msully. Show msully's posts

Considering that St. Patrick's day is based on a catholic celebration, it would have been nice to accomodate the Church IF the Church had pointed out the conflict last year so plans could have been made accordingly.� Holy Week is based on the lunar calendar - it's predictable - someone should have realized last year that there would be a conflict and made a request then.� At this point, it's a bit late to reschedule.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulsey220. Show paulsey220's posts

This is actually a reply to most postings.� Why are you all so angry about the parade??� You are not forced to attend.� Most Catholics will find a way to go to church regardless of what is going on that day.� People skip church now to go to hockey and basketball games.� Or other activities..� My parents are Irish and Catholic and celebrate palm sunday and will have guests over to watch the parade..� They are not white trash, they enjoy the parade and if they didn't they wouldn't watch it.� They wouldnt go online and leave some pretty dumb comments like the ones that have been left today.� "sluts", "white trash".� what ever....� The people who are drunk and pounks at the parade are usually 17-22.�� Stop this.� You sound like an idiot.�

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaboom. Show shaboom's posts

Thank G-D Passover comes late this year!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!!!��(its one day we can celebrate our roots, although I celebrate my irish roots every day!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laimby. Show laimby's posts

jeez louize.. its a parade, and its fun! sure people drink, and it can be quite aggravating if you have a problem with booze i suppose. have you ever walked through fanueil hall on a weekend night? many drunks.�i dont understand the outrage though... nobody is forced to attend and people of all races and creeds other then Irish attend to see the marching bands and varied interesting floats. i hope people are equally outraged by the inconveniencing Carribean Festival that shuts down Columbia Road as well as the numerous Feasts in the North End that shuts down several streets.

Sections
Shortcuts