Still learning about Woodstock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Still learning about Woodstock

Townshend ruled

At Woodstock in 1969, Hoffman interrupted The Who's performance to attempt a protest speech against the jailing of John Sinclair of the White Panther Party. He grabbed a microphone and yelled, "Are we going to sit here listening to this s4it while John Sinclair rots in prison. . ." The Who's guitarist, Pete Townshend, was adjusting his amp between songs and turned to look at Hoffman over his right shoulder. Pete ran with his Gibson S.G. and rammed it into Hoffman's upper middle back. Hoffman turned with mouth gaping, back arched with one hand trying to reach the injury as Pete, disgruntled, put a hand in Hoffman's face and shoved him backwards to stage right. Pete then said "next one tries that gets fvcking killed". The rest of the band looked at one another not sure what was going to happen next. Pete, frustrated by the interruption, windmilled into the next song. The band regained composure and followed. After that song, Pete walked over to Hoffman, who was sitting on the right hand side of stage with his arms around his knees. Pete leaned over and said something to him then gave him a smack up behind the head.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Still learning about Woodstock

Like the man said . . .

"Everywhere was a song and a celebration."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]Like the man said . . . "Everywhere was a song and a celebration."
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Actually, that was a woman named Joni.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

Greg -

Look how far we have come. Kids now shell out $400.00 a ticket to listen to the Bruce Springstien play for about 15 minutes and trash America for an hour long rant. I bet if you ran up and grabbed a mike and protested to the Boss to shut up and play music instead of bloviate a stage goone would rack you in the Chopps!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

BTW - You mentioned still learning about Woodstock. I saw a documentary on Jimi Hendrix last week. What people don’t know is that Jimi was a former paratrooper in the Air force and had great sympathy for the soldiers fighting in Vietnam at the time. He would tell people who were calling our soldiers "baby killers" at the time why we were in Indo-China and the horrible human rights violations that were going on in communist countries at the time.

Sound familiar !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

This song is over
    I'm left with only tears
    I must remember
    Even if it takes a million years

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]This song is over I'm left with only tears I must remember Even if it takes a million years
    Posted by Bill.the.Cat[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, he can write too

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

yeah, yeah, yeah . . .

And Moon Martin wrote, "Bad Case of Loving You," too.

But it's Robert Palmer's song.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, yeah, yeah . . . And Moon Martin wrote, "Bad Case of Loving You," too. But it's Robert Palmer's song.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case, it would be the men, not the man :-)

Just picking nits man

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

Pete's the man.

There was a youtube clip that was up for a while, now gone. Pete was on tour with Eddie Vetter and they did a gig on Letterman.

As their song ended and Letterman went into commercial, Pete launched into a kick assss version of Magic Bus.  Completely rocked it during the commercial.

The video is gone, however.  Sigh.

I had the feeling Pete wanted to hit Letterman's sidekick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

Funny how that clip of Pete beating up a guy on stage didn't make it into the movie...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irish-lad. Show Irish-lad's posts

It is estimated that around 400.000 people attended Woodstock (or at least some part of it) August 15 to August 18, 1969. It is also estimated that in excess of 13 million people claim to have been there. For the record I wasn't. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[QUOTE]It is estimated that around 400.000 people attended Woodstock (or at least some part of it) August 15 to August 18, 1969. It is also estimated that in excess of 13 million people claim to have been there. For the record I wasn't. :-)
    Posted by Irish-lad[/QUOTE]

LOL - true, isn't it?  My former boss told us she was there and I have always been skeptical.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

I was 8, mom said NFW

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "It is estimated that around 400.000 people attended Woodstock . . . " --

That  sounds like about the same number of people I've heard claim they saw this in person . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

I saw it in person

on TV