The Boston "nightlife" movement. Hah!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

The Boston "nightlife" movement. Hah!!

Thanks to the D'Alessandro report, there's no way the MBTA will ever run late enough to satisfy the nightlife impresarios in town. They'll need every waking minute to inspect the Red Line rails. I live in Waltham, a town with a lot of transit access to Boston, and if I'm in the city on a Saturday night, I really can't do anything past 11 p.m. The last commuter train runs at 11:30, the last bus at 12:05 a.m. The Boston Nightlife Coalition wants us to be like New Yorkers, hanging out in jazz clubs at 3 a.m. It ain't happening. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Re: The Boston "nightlife" movement. Hah!!

In Response to The Boston "nightlife" movement. Hah!!:
    [QUOTE]Thanks to the D'Alessandro report, there's no way the MBTA will ever run late enough to satisfy the nightlife impresarios in town. They'll need every waking minute to inspect the Red Line rails. I live in Waltham, a town with a lot of transit access to Boston, and if I'm in the city on a Saturday night, I really can't do anything past 11 p.m. The last commuter train runs at 11:30, the last bus at 12:05 a.m. The Boston Nightlife Coalition wants us to be like New Yorkers, hanging out in jazz clubs at 3 a.m. It ain't happening. 
    Posted by cp77[/QUOTE]

"if I'm in the city on a Saturday night, I really can't do anything past 11 p.m."

I don't understand. I used to live in Waltham (grew up there) and I and all my friends never had a problem staying out past 11:00. Do you not have a car? Do you not have the ability to go out and not get trashed? It IS possible to go out and have a FEW drinks and still actually have a good time. So it IS possible for you to stay out past 11:00.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkendall. Show jkendall's posts

Boston is not a city for nightlife due to the mass transit, or lack thereof.  Maybe it is the fact it is college-town that wants the kiddies back in their dorms, or maybe police would rather hand out parking tickets during the daylight hours.  Regardless, it does not really exist unless you call a couple of " i want to been seen" joints a nightlife.

One solution, have the MBTA run 24/7 and have a Nightowl fee.  MBTA could charge a fiver per person. Many would pay, including myself, more to ride the T than pay the outrageous cab fares that exist- second highest in the nation. Maybe this would help the ailing system and prevent bad choices by good people of driving after "only a few drinks."  With fearless pedestrians, I would not take the chance of driving from Boston to Waltham after one drink let alone a few.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: The Boston "nightlife" movement. Hah!!:
    [QUOTE]Boston is not a city for nightlife due to the mass transit, or lack thereof.  Maybe it is the fact it is college-town that wants the kiddies back in their dorms, or maybe police would rather hand out parking tickets during the daylight hours.  Regardless, it does not really exist unless you call a couple of " i want to been seen" joints a nightlife. One solution, have the MBTA run 24/7 and have a Nightowl fee.  MBTA could charge a fiver per person. Many would pay, including myself, more to ride the T than pay the outrageous cab fares that exist- second highest in the nation. Maybe this would help the ailing system and prevent bad choices by good people of driving after "only a few drinks."  With fearless pedestrians, I would not take the chance of driving from Boston to Waltham after one drink let alone a few.
    Posted by jkendall[/QUOTE]

They already tried the nightowl thing. No one utilized it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumumassalum. Show glumumassalum's posts

I remember the night owl being pretty popular. I thought it was that the Night owl wasn't originally structured into the T union contract and was thus deemed illegal, so they had to scrap the whole thing after it was started. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember reading like 6 years ago or something

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FU2000. Show FU2000's posts

The night owl was packed. Of course they had to make the last run right at 2am, so you had to leave early. Boston is just a city where if you're not home in bed by 9pm, it's assumed that you're a degenerate and treated as such. In the minds of TPTB in Boston, why would they want to encourage a bunch of degenerates to stay out late where they will envetiably shoot/knife/rape someone before ODing in the middle of the street?

Like the persn wrote above, they could raise the fair, it would still be cheaper than a cab. They could run a train every half an hour until 2:30am, then evey hour until normal service starts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HoustonSpace. Show HoustonSpace's posts

"Boston is not a city for nightlife due to the mass transit, or lack thereof"

I grew up in Boston.  I lived in Quincy.  I was never more than a 10 minute walk to a T station.  Now I live in Houston.  If you want to see a place with a lack of public tranportation, visit Houston.  It's hard to get them to even put in sidewalks, let alone bus stations.  Although they are building a light rail system here, it's a toy compared to what Boston has.  The Boston public transportation system isn't perfect, but it's something I wish existed down here.

Sections
Shortcuts