Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?

So apparently I have been told I am too generous as I tip 18% (meals, drinks etc) on the final bill amount. 
    I have been told that you are only supposed to tip on the pre-tax amount (ie the actual cost of the service and stuff provided), otherwise you are paying the servers taxes for them aswell.

Which is more common? Which is more correct?

I would feel a bit of a cheater to tip on the pre-tax amount. But if thats the norm, I'd be happy to switch and save myself some cash. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?

I don't know who comes up with these "rules" about how much more we should pay on top of what we're already charged when there is some kind of "service" involved. If the service was good, tip whatever makes you comfortable. If it wasn't, do the same thing. People who are telling you you're "too generous" are probably just cheapskates.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BleedGreen4Ever. Show BleedGreen4Ever's posts

I usually tip between 15-20 percent. I tip on the per-tax amount. I take level of service, restuarant type whether lunch or dinner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dotbceagle. Show dotbceagle's posts

In Response to Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?:
    So apparently I have been told I am too generous as I tip 18% (meals, drinks etc) on the final bill amount.  I have been told that you are only supposed to tip on the pre-tax amount (ie the actual cost of the service and stuff provided), otherwise you are paying the servers taxes for them aswell. Which is more common? Which is more correct? I would feel a bit of a cheater to tip on the pre-tax amount. But if thats the norm, I'd be happy to switch and save myself some cash. 
    Posted by plasko

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

If you are John Kerry you tip about 2% and the wait staff should be thilled to have served you.  Do you know who I am.  lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dotbceagle. Show dotbceagle's posts

Tips are usually based on the pre-tax amount.  If a business adds a gratuity charge to your bill, that is how they must compute it.  Make sure that you don't tip twice. If you multiply the meals tax by 3, your answer will be a tip of 18+%.

Don't feel that you must leave a tip based on a certain percentage percentage of the bill:the better the service you receive - the better tip you give.  If you get either very poor service or excellent service, let the manager know.  Bad service often results in your party receiving a complimentary appetizer, dessert, or round of drinks (go for the imported beers and top shelf liquors).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pre-tax is the etiquette.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Thanks for all the advice. The reason for asking for what the "rules" are is that I come from somewhere where you do not tip someone for simply doing their job. Its their job, thats what they get paid for. To me, its quite silly to give them even more cash just for doing what they are supposed to be doing. Always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, never quite sure if they were being nice to me to get some cash out of me, or just because they are genuinely nice. Just a bit wierd that in this country you basically have to bribe someone to be nice to you, and call it a tip. 
    If they don't get paid enough from their job, then they should ask their boss for a raise. Why should I be supplementing their wages? 
    Anyhow, I digress. The point is that now I know its pre-tax, that will help with my calculations in the future. 
    Thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

I always tip on the post-tax bill, but then I know exactly how hard these people work. I was also taught that this was standard etiquette. 

Plasko:

Let's be honest with ourselves. Like most of the rank and file workers out there, waiters and waitresses are not going to get much of a pay raise, if any, for the foreseeable future. Most waiters and waitresses make at, or below minimum wage before tips. These people depend upon tips for survival. The system isn't fair, but that's how it is.

A waiter 'making nice' is no different from any other employee -- including you -- making nice on the job. It's called being professional. 

Furthermore, if you do not like "supplementing their wages", eat at home. If you can't afford to factor in a reasonable tip, so that these people can eat  and pay the rent, don't eat out. Competent wait staff earn every single penny they make.

Allow me  to refer you to the following link for more information on how things work behind the scenes: http://www.servernotservant.com/.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

The hotter the waitress the more the tip, the more skin the more tip, yep sexist, yep that is how it works. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yawn2. Show yawn2's posts

Pre tax is my standard.  For full meal service (drinks, appetizers, meal, coffee) I go closer to 20% depending on quality of service.  Drinks only or a quick lunch is 12- 15%, again depending on service.  If you have a big party and the service is good, 20%.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dotbceagle. Show dotbceagle's posts

In Response to Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice. The reason for asking for what the "rules" are is that I come from somewhere where you do not tip someone for simply doing their job. Its their job, thats what they get paid for. To me, its quite silly to give them even more cash just for doing what they are supposed to be doing. Always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, never quite sure if they were being nice to me to get some cash out of me, or just because they are genuinely nice. Just a bit wierd that in this country you basically have to bribe someone to be nice to you, and call it a tip.  If they don't get paid enough from their job, then they should ask their boss for a raise. Why should I be supplementing their wages?  Anyhow, I digress. The point is that now I know its pre-tax, that will help with my calculations in the future.  Thanks.
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yawn2. Show yawn2's posts

Plasko - the reason for tipping traditionally here has been that there is a separate minimum wage for wait staff.  They do not get the standard minimum wage required by law, rather theirs is substantially lower (was around $3.00 per hour when I was working in the industry) It seems only fair to me to tip in an industry that assumes you do so and pays so low.

My line of thought is that if you can afford to eat out, you should pay tips.  If you cannot pay a tip, then don't eat out.  Simple.  It's only fair.  Your tip can still reflect service quality.  

While I never received it, I recall my mother telling me that it was the custom of some to leave two pennies if the service was horrible - a "message" to the waiter/ress.  Not one, but two pennies.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dotbceagle. Show dotbceagle's posts

plasco,  an employer must pay tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.  The employer can then credit a portion of the tipped employees tips against the federal or state minimum wage if it is higher.  If the employees direct wages (2.13/hr) combined with the employees tips don't equal the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.
    Unfortunately, some waitstaff expect and receive 20% tips without giving their customers good service.  An exception is 'Hooters' where waitresses are tipped based on their personal assets not their quality of service; but, I don't believe anyone has ever complained!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

Good luck trying to put a roof over your head on minimum wage. I dare you to try it.

Hooters? I won't even bother to comment.

In Response to Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?:
    [QUOTE]plasco,  an employer must pay tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.  The employer can then credit a portion of the tipped employees tips against the federal or state minimum wage if it is higher.  If the employees direct wages (2.13/hr) combined with the employees tips don't equal the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference. Unfortunately, some waitstaff expect and receive 20% tips without giving their customers good service.  An exception is 'Hooters' where waitresses are tipped based on their personal assets not their quality of service; but, I don't believe anyone has ever complained!
    Posted by dotbceagle[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow3. Show whatnow3's posts

Bogus-  Having worked in the food service industry, I can assure you it is 20% on the total bill amount, including drinks taxes etc. . .

For those bad with math. . . . . move the decimal point one spot to the left, then double that number. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatItIsNow. Show WhatItIsNow's posts

I worked in the service industry for years, and we calculated the quality of the tip against the final bill, not the pre tax amount. And tips were very important. You tip poorly, I assure you, you get less service and and you are not well liked at all by staff. If you are too cheap to tip well, eat at home, or stay at places that don't go the extra mile.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

I like to tip breakfast servers more than 20%.  The amount of work they have to do is at least equal to dinner servers (especially since I get a lot of coffee refills) but the cost of breakfast is generally much lower than that of dinner.  It doesn't seem fair that you leave a $10 tip on a $50 dinner bill (two people) but only leave a $5 tip on a $25 dollar breakfast bill when the breakfast wait staff has worked just as hard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I am surprised that the barbaric laws we have do not allow for wait staff to earn minimum wage.
    Why are we not changing this law? Then we can reduce tipping to a more reasonable sum (a fifth of the value of the meal/drink/etc is ultra-steep. If we lobby for them to be paid a reasonable sum then tip, say 10%).

I have to say that I am quite happy to tip whatever, thats why I originally posted. Also, it seems that there is no real consensus whatsoever. From people who actually do the paying most are saying pre-tax. For people that are wait staff obviously they are saying more, and post-tax.

Another question - Do we also tip on take-out food? A service was still provided to us in that they prepared the food for us. However, we still have to do our own dishes at the end of the meal. This one I really have wondered about. If anything the tip should be much lower as it only covers the kitchen-staff and not wait staff. Any rules on this one?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

And another question.........what is a fair amount for delivery.  I know people who think that giving the delivery guy $2 or $3 is adequate, but we tip 20% or so for the person who brings our food out from the kitchen.......what about the guy that drove it to our house all the way from the restaurant.  He should get at least 15-20% also, even though we are cleaning up after ourselves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

And another question.........what is a fair amount for delivery.  I know people who think that giving the delivery guy $2 or $3 is adequate, but we tip 20% or so for the person who brings our food out from the kitchen.......what about the guy that drove it to our house all the way from the restaurant.  He should get at least 15-20% also, even though we are cleaning up after ourselves.
    Posted by crlsnjnn

Depends on the amount of the order but for a total bill of $20.00 I would likely tip 3 bucks.  Delivery drivers can make minimum wage (or more) and most receive some additional money for gas mileage.  So they are better compensated than your average waiter or waitress in terms of base salary, but they tend to lose out on tips since they probably average 3 - 5 dollars in tips per delivery. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow3. Show whatnow3's posts

What a great thread, no name calling, people sharing ideas. . . . oh wait fractals aint here.  : ) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

One thing I would like to see instituted here is the first question the wait staff should be asking is "how would you like to split the bill" if there are more than 2 of you, before they even ask what you want. 
    Its in their own best interests. I often go out with people who are very crappy tippers, and when its their turn to pay (as we only ever get 1 bill here in Boston regardless of how many we are), they are pretty terrible tippers. I feel embarrassed for being associated with them but its their turn. 
    However if it was made common for the bill to be split at the beginning of every meal then we could individually leave a tip, increasing the chances of good tips. 
    Some places are pretty backwards regarding this. One time I was with 10 other people and they refused to split it that many ways. Why should the hard work calculating who owes what be on the customer? It should ALWAYS be on the serving staff, they are there to make our lives easier after all. 
    So a little tip for any wait staff reading this - always ask parties of multiple people how they would like the bill split before taking any orders. You are making the customers lives easier as a result and happier customers tip more!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Just realised that wait staff are "encouraged" not to split the bill for large parties as they get an automatic tip of 18% (pre-tax) for groups of 6 persons or more in most places. So maybe a guaranteed tip is better than the hope of a generous tipper?
    I can understand now why its not encouraged for them to offer to split the bill and give people separate checks. 
    But still, making the customers lives easier is what it should always be about. And having the often-drunk customer calculate their share at the end is annoying - no doubt for everyone.