Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaySev2010. Show JaySev2010's posts

Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?

In Response to Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?:
    In Response to Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)? : Sorry, I missed your direct question, Charles. The cheapskate population is surprisingly large - maybe half.  Nice, considerate people like you think they are in the vast majority, but it just isn't the case especially when no one is watching like when you get separate checks and everyone's eyes are on their own.  No one is adding up the bill and ensuring the tip is fair.  I wish I could tell you it's a more reasonable percent of restaurant goers, say like 5%, but it's just not true.  Thanks for conceding to my experience no matter how unbelievable and disheartening it might be.  I was so disappointed to find this out about people...
    Posted by kargiver

I found it depends on the area in Mass. Marblehead and Wellseley have some of the worst tippers I've ever encountered.

But I would agree, about half of the customer population are cheapskates. There are an awful lot of people out there who tip under 5%, and more than you would think don't tip at all (or condider a dollar in quarters a tip---PS don't tip if you are going to do it in change, it is a major insult).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Well we can see who the tight wads are. 10%?don't tax on the tip? You folks these people that waited on you get paid about $2.70 an hour by their employers you know that,right? I usually tip about 20-25 % on the total unless the server/bartender is either a total sch muck. Do not take it out on the server when the kitchen,hostess etc. screws up. If the % comes out to like 4.75 I'll leave 5 $. If you regularly go to the same 4-5 restaurants/bars as most people do,follow these guidelines and see how much friendlier better service you get. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Yeah, and its a waste of laundry money!
    I would never waste quarters like that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Tipping: 18% on pre-tax, or final bill amount (including taxes)?:
    I tip based only on ONE thing....the quality of the service I get. If my waitress is friendly, has a pleasant attitude, smiles a lot, promptly refills my iced tea or brings me another beer when I'm empty, and checks on us frequently, then I'm going to leave a healthy tip (many times well over 30%). On the other hand, if my waitress is a complete dullard, has no personality (which has been an all-too-common occurance I've noticed lately), gives me an attitude, neglects me (don't give me the "I'm too busy" BS.....I waited tables for years, and it's not exactly brain surgery), or takes 10 minutes to bring me another beer, I'm gonna take it out on her hide. When I get lousy service, I leave less than $1 no matter how large the tab and usually say something, and I couldn't possibly care less whether the waitress or the management likes it or not. There are a LOT of restuarants in this city, and you need me a helluva lot more than I need you. I have grown to appreciate good service, and I will reward it extensively, every time. However, 18% rule or not, I am at a point where I will not tolerate, nor will I reward lousy service and a bad attitude. It's that simple. If you don't like your job waiting tables, or if you don't like people, go do something else. Because, if you wait on me and my family, you're gonnna get clobbered.  
    Posted by MisterMagic

Do you have different tipping rules for waiters?  You only mention waitresses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

JaySev, I was hoping I misremembered it being about half, but thanks for the confirmation that I wasn't nuts.  And, yes, the wealthier the neighborhood, the worse the tipping.  I forgot to mention the "no tip at all crowd"  who doesn't tip even when they tell you and act like they had great service and a wonderful time out at dinner which is also surprisingly a substantial portion of people who go out to eat.  I used to want to follow them out to the car and give them a tip of my own, "Don't go out to eat if you can't afford the service."

Charles, forget watching the news to lose faith in the fabric of society, just try waiting tables a few months.  I almost wish I hadn't and didn't know that so many "regular" people are stingy and selfish, willing to pay for good food but steal good service.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I have a friend who regularly tips at 13 percent, even when the service is excellent. I am stunningly embarassed by this, tell him so and why, and invariably end up placing a few extra dollars on the table when he is the one treating.

Servers don't like separate checks, but frankly, I don't want to be seen as the cheapskate of the group.

I have another friend who orders what he wants, and if he has money left over for a tip, he considers the servers lucky.

The first friend is just tight. The second has lived his life being babied by his mom, and was never taught by his parents. After 25 years, I've given up on being the teacher of this group, so as much as I otherwise enjoy their company, I try to avoid eating out with them.

As for the OP, in many countries the tip is added to the bill, hence your perception of gratuities. In France we would add a few centimes for exceptional service, and this by no way was meant as an insult.

You want to changing the U.S. tipping system? Work to change state laws.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaySev2010. Show JaySev2010's posts

JaySev, I was hoping I misremembered it being about half, but thanks for the confirmation that I wasn't nuts.  And, yes, the wealthier the neighborhood, the worse the tipping.  I forgot to mention the "no tip at all crowd"  who doesn't tip even when they tell you and act like they had great service and a wonderful time out at dinner which is also surprisingly a substantial portion of people who go out to eat.  I used to want to follow them out to the car and give them a tip of my own, "Don't go out to eat if you can't afford the service." Charles, forget watching the news to lose faith in the fabric of society, just try waiting tables a few months.  I almost wish I hadn't and didn't know that so many "regular" people are stingy and selfish, willing to pay for good food but steal good service.
    Posted by kargiver

I was in the service industry for a long time while I worked my way though college and grad school. And I occassional return to make some extra cash in the evenings. My impression is that younger people are no longer being taught about tipping at all. Fifteen years ago, when I started, I could count on the 16-25 year olds to tip (maybe not the best tips, but they still gave satisfactory tips). In the last few years, I noticed they rarely tip, and when they do it is usually something incredibly insulting like 5 percent. Parents, teach your children the importance of tipping.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Parents aren't teaching manners at all, seems to me.  Can't count on a person in that age group tipping, writing a thank you note, RSVPing to an invitation...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Its simple,

Just code a videogame that includes social rules in it for the main character and they will get the message! 

These are the stay-at-home Johnny no-friends videogame generation you are talking about. Social rules have changed. Now there is no such thing as privacy either. Have diarrhea? Quick, gotta snap a pic of that an post it on Facebook and Twitter for all to see. LOL. 

Sections
Shortcuts